Author Topic: Lemon Law?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Johnnykat

• Board Regular!
  • My head feels weird.
Lemon Law?
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
I purchased a new Suzuki B12 from Metro Motorsports (Ridenow Powersports) about four months ago and bought the three year extended warranty.

Something went wrong with the engine which Suzuki of America determined was a warranty issue (a rep came out and looked at the bike).  The mechanics at Metro "rebuilt" the engine then it failed in the shop during a test start up.  Metro mechanics then "rebuilt the engine" again and returned it to me Sat the 9th (yesterday, after a month of messing up rebuilds and looking for parts).  I took it out the next morning only to be left stranded on the side of the road with an engine that sounded like a bunch of air was coming out of it (I'm no mechanic).  It was definitely coming from the head area.

1)  Metro has had my motorcycle for over 30 days trying to fix a 1980's technology motor.   :annoy:
2)  This is the 3rd engine failure.
3)  The engine failed in less than 25-30 miles after they repaired it after it failed in their shop after a rebuild.
4)  The total mileage on the motorcycle is 1900 and change.
5)  No matter what they say, I'll be afraid to ride it.  Rear wheel locks up on freeway, I crash, get run over by car, wife and 3 kids crying next to grave...no thank you.

I reside in Arizona.  I bought the motorcycle new from the very dealer who attempted (3 times) to fix what Suzuki deemed a legitimate warranty covered repair.  They have had the bike over a month.  I feel I'm getting raped.  Any info welcome.  Bottom line, I don't want THAT bike back.  I want a replacement.

Oh, this is my primary means of transportation.  At 38 I'm a little old to get rides from my teenage daughter!   :annoy:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:57:10 AM by Johnnykat »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Lemon Law?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:27:48 AM »
I'm with you on that one, but I'd think since between rebuild #1 & #2 you never got the bike back, all that shop time would only count as 1 strike for the lemon law, but I don't know for sure... I don't even play a lawyer on TV.  :grin:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »
Looks like you can get your money back under AZ law, I understand the following link.  They've had it for more than 30 days.  See http://www.keytlaw.com/az/lemonlaw.htm.  If you cite your rights and they stand by it honorably, buy another bike from them.  If they give you $hit, take your money elsewhere.  Good luck, and report back to us how it comes out.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »
A friend of mine was showing me how to adjust valves on my first valve adjustment on my B12.  Everything made sense and we put it back together.  Gave her a little choke, hit the starter, she purred for about two seconds then "WHACK" is the last sound she made...any suggestion welcome.  I downed the bike two days before Christmas and now this...   

This may void your warranty
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline vwkaferman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 11:11:51 PM »
A friend of mine was showing me how to adjust valves on my first valve adjustment on my B12.  Everything made sense and we put it back together.  Gave her a little choke, hit the starter, she purred for about two seconds then "WHACK" is the last sound she made...any suggestion welcome.  I downed the bike two days before Christmas and now this...   

This may void your warranty

I remember that thread. If it's true, the OP needs to man up and be honest instead of trying to pull a fast one on a Dealer.

James
'74 Beetle. 0-60, probably.
'05 Bandit 1200

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »
Depends on what went WHACK.
If it's not related to the valve adjustment and just coincidental that it happened after the this particular startup, it'd still be Suzuki's issue.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »
Well, I have no idea if this is what happened or not, but this what was reported here.

"Apparently the problem was the metal piece inside the  spark plug boot fell out and then inside the motor.  I believe that it was million to one chance of something like happening.  It apparently got wedged in one of the cam chain teeth and got stuck there causing it to jump a tooth."

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »

If that is correct, then the problem was caused by owner error. and  isnt a manufacturing defect/warranty issue. 

Well, I have no idea if this is what happened or not, but this what was reported here.

"Apparently the problem was the metal piece inside the  spark plug boot fell out and then inside the motor.  I believe that it was million to one chance of something like happening.  It apparently got wedged in one of the cam chain teeth and got stuck there causing it to jump a tooth."

03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline Johnnykat

• Board Regular!
  • My head feels weird.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
They took care of it with a quickness and will have my future business I'm happy to report.  It was some emissions tube thing that goes from some box to some other place (not a mechanic like I said) that slipped off.  Runs like a mo fo now.  :bandit: