Author Topic: Another mile stone passed.... My Bandit tipped over.  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Auggie

• Board Regular!
Another mile stone passed.... My Bandit tipped over.
« on: June 04, 2005, 06:44:51 PM »
The car was out getting a new exhaust so the bike had the whole carport to it self. I pull all the way in, right in the center. Put down the kickstand and head in side for the night. This morning I put on my gear I head out the door. Then I  turn the corner into my carport this morning and see my bike laying on its side. After a few second of shock I drop my helmet and jacket and proceed to try and figure out how to pick this thing up. I got a little lucky the way the ground was heaved up under the engine it wasn't too bad lifting back up. The only body damage was a broken blinker, a few scratches on the engine and mirror. At this point I am amazed at how lucky I am. After leaving the bike sitting  uprite for a while I tried starting the bike. The starter isn't engaging... well you can't really expect to be that lucky right.  javascript:emoticon(':boohoo:')
Boohoo
'87 SRX 250 (gone)
'87 Radian 600 (sold)
'01 Bandit 1200S Red... cause red is faster :motorsmile:

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 08:40:48 PM »
Tough luck. :duh:
  I've done the same thing, and have to remind myself to leave the bike in gear when parking it.

Are you sure the starter isn't engaging?

Do you hear the starter motor turning at all?

There are a couple of safety switches.  One is on the clutch lever, so you can't start the bike in gear with the clutch engaged.
  The other is on the sidestand.

It's possible one or the other was damaged when it fell.
  This would mean nothing would happen when you hit the starter button.

No click, nothing...
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline 1200 bandits

• TURBO TYPER!
Side Stand
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 09:07:51 PM »
Hi Auggie:

Your post brings back memories of when I took my Bandit home for the first time.  Must be genetics in the bandit line.

For some reason although I'd been riding for 16 years before buying my Bandit I dropped her in our car-port.  She wouldn't start after that either.

I did some digging and found that in my case the electrical connector for the side-stand switch had come loose.

Check out your side stand / sid stand switch also.  Assuming the bike fell on it's left side that may be your answer.

Happy Trails.

Regards,

1200 Bandits

Offline Auggie

• Board Regular!
I wish it was just an electrical connection.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 10:55:24 PM »
I wish it was just an electrical connection. The starter motor spins but the starter clutch never engages so it doesn't crank the motor over. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Since this is a little beyond the work I want do myself I called the dealership up and was surprised that they have room for me on Monday
I push stared my bike just to make sure that was the only problem and so on Monday I could get it to the dealership. Lots of blue smoke for a few mins but it did go away. I guess you have to expect that after sitting on its side for a few hours.
With luck I will be back on the road by the end of next week.  

Auggie
'87 SRX 250 (gone)
'87 Radian 600 (sold)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 11:24:55 PM »
Just in case.  
  Which Bandit model do you have?
 On the 1200, there is a nut that falls off by itself on the starter mechanism/clutch, or something.  It's kind of common, the factory doesn't always torque the nut correctly during assembly.
 Could have happened to you, although the tipover doesn't really cause it....it just happens.

Sorry to be so vague.  Somebody will pop in with the details.  It's an easy fix, and fairly easy to check for.
  It's a nut on the solenoid, or something.   You'll have to drain the oil, and pop a side cover....and fish out the loose nut.  I'm not 100% if it's possible for the nut to get somewhere it can do some damage, or not.
 (JUst have heard this happening 5-6 times.)
   You may want to avoid bump starting the bike.....just in case.

I think Paul went through this out on the road???
  Maybe he'll chime in.......
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 12:57:26 AM »
The B6 has a starter clutch bolt just like the B12's - though I've never heard of the undertorque problem on a B6.

My on-the-road problem was an oil leak.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 02:59:49 AM »
That's right, Paul, you sprung a leak!    ElWayne, and Madmotorcyclist are two I can remember losing the starter clutch bolt....I know there were a couple more.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline demon ds7

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 06:49:30 PM »
Hi everybody, I'm new to the sight, just bought my 2nd B-6 about 2 weeks ago and was looking for a bandit BBs. looks like I found a good one.
 There must have been something in the air this passed weekend that made Bandits want to fall over.
 I spent most of Saturday cleaning out the garage and was glad to call it quits
 I pulled the bike back in to the garage stuck her in neutral turned off the key and leaned her over on the side stand. except I forgot to put the stand down   :duh:  I've always had the habit of stopping putting the stand down and then turning her off.  lucky for me the lawn mower handle caught the bike. cracked the fairing on the left side with no other damage.
 I hate it when I do something stupid !! Now all i need to do is decide wether to fix the fairing or take it off.
 Well gotta go, later.   :beers:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 07:43:03 PM »
Demon and Augie, I feel your pain!  'Bout a year ago I pulled the old forget to put the stand down all the way trick.  Got off on the right, went to rest it on the stand that wasn't there.  I held the bike for at least 5 minutes hoping for someone to come by and help.  I didn't have enough leverage to pull it back up.  After a bit, I had to let it down slowly.  Ended up with a small ding in the tank and a small scratch on the engine cover.  And pretty pissed off at myself!   :duh:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 09:01:17 PM »
Just reading these stories makes me feel better, the day I got my 05 B12 brought it home and went to "set it" on the kick stand and didnt have the stand all the way forward and over she went. Luckily Im 6' 4" 240 pounds and caught it just before it bounced. Broken blinker, scratched casing and scratched mirror. I started to get pissed but then realized its gonna see more cause I intend on having it till I cant ride no more. Didnt have any problems starting it though.  :motorsmile:
Zippy.

Offline demon ds7

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 06:49:57 PM »
the next day after the drop I rode over to a friend of mine that I race with so he could check out the Bandit.
 while we were looking it over Tom noticed that I had a center stand and said that he wished his sv had one. I asked why because they are a pain in the butt to use. Tom showed me how to put it up on the stand with no trouble at all.
 I've been riding for 35 years and he is the first  person I ever met who knew how to do it with out straining a gut!! Now the bandit goes on the center stand !!   :motorsmile:

Offline Auggie

• Board Regular!
It starts
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 12:13:01 AM »
It was the aformentioned <evil> Nut. It wasn't all the way off but it quite loose. Now I just need to wait till my new blinker to get here and the bike will look almost as good as new.

Auggie
'87 SRX 250 (gone)
'87 Radian 600 (sold)