Author Topic: Motorbike ice roadracing video  (Read 3471 times)

ippo

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Re: Motorbike ice roadracing video
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:51:38 AM »
Wow ippo thanks for sharing that one. I'v seen ice motocross mostly in powder but never frozen lake racing. Amazing it seems like the riders are constantly loosing and regaining traction in split seconds where normally a wheel slip seen on dry or wet pavement would result in a loss of control. The spikes seem to slip a little then clean off and recover traction in fractions of a second. Man that looks like fun and the riders seem so confident of the traction the spikes provide. When they burn out and dig a hole I hope they don't do it on track as I bet a hole would be a bad thing to hit LOL.

ippo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »
It is same like you ride on road.Friction coefficient is  roughly same.(spikes )
You only need trust your tires. Thats all.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:53:38 PM by ippo »

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:36 AM »
 Theres a guy on the SV site in Wisconsin(Super Dave) that races a 100 Honda on the ice. Looks like a blast! Being and old flattracker, I think it would be like,well,"riding a bike". Wish we had some races around here. Small, light,and fun would be the way to go.    Dan

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
Theres a guy on the SV site in Wisconsin(Super Dave) that races a 100 Honda on the ice. Looks like a blast! Being and old flattracker, I think it would be like,well,"riding a bike". Wish we had some races around here. Small, light,and fun would be the way to go.    Dan

Like this?

Talk to your local ice skating arena and see if they'd be willing to run something like this.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »
I was waiting for Stormi or one of the other Northern Alberta riders to jump in...
but, here is a link to a video of the annual 24 hour NumbBum ice race:

http://www.watch-motorcycle-videos.com/watch/?vid=2111

Ice racing on motorcycles is fairly common in Alberta. Usually the hot ticket is converted Motocross bikes, although Flat Track bikes work great as well. Here in Western Canada the tires are studded with hardened "sheet metal" type screws, usually in Motocross tires, but I have seen various tires used, including Trials, Dual-Sport and Flat Track, in addition to various Motocross compounds. The fast guys are always trying to get an edge with different compounds and stud patterns.

I haven't watched an outdoor race since I left Alberta in 1988, and personally have ridden on the ice with studded tires since the late 70's, but it's fun. The traction is similar to dirt, even once the surface gets chewed up. I have gone to see Ice Speedway races, which are a blast, run in hockey areas. Just like Dirt Speedway, which you don't see here. Same bikes, Jawa's and Westlake's, etc.

This is getting my blood boiling. I might just have to go get a set of tires and set up one of my dirt bikes again...getting the snow off one of the local lakes is going to take work however, but I think I'll go have a look around this weekend...

edit for more info...
It looks like the Greater Kamloops Motorcycle Assoc(GKMA) holds Ice Races in Jan and early Feb on Stake Lake, south of Kamloops...here is a link to the rules

http://www.gkma.ca/IceRacing/Rules.asp
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:40:30 PM by pmackie »
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »
 Yes,thats more like it! No way would  want to take a big bike out there.The bigger they are the harder you fall. Theres a 250 Bultaco Pursang "astro" at the shop just like the one I used to race. I wouldn't want anything bigger than that.
  The local ice rinks are booked solid with all the Hockey teams. Leagues for all ages,ice time is precious. But we have a pond,would have to have a deep freeze befor a bunch of snow accumalates on it.