Author Topic: mpg  (Read 13477 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
mpg
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 10:02:07 PM »
Are you saying you hit reserve at 150-160? If so that's about right, calculate the actual mpg you're getting to be sure, The point where they actually hit reserve can vary some from bike to bike, but the average bike hits reserve after it's burned thru 4 gallons.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2005, 01:26:00 AM »
Did they make the newer bikes with bigger tanks? 40 mpg is pretty good in my book! 3.30 gals = 125 miles average for me on my 98 B12, but i'm passing or ahead of everyone else in most cases!  :scaredmouse: :cop:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
mpg
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2005, 02:13:11 AM »
The tanks are different. The 1G is a 5.0 US gallon tank (19L) and the 2G is 5.3 US gallons (20L). Both the 1G & 2G typically have 4.0 US gallons on the main tank, the remainder in reserve.

And for a bone stock bike, mpg is typically in the 40-45 mpg range on 1200's. 600's typically do ~5 mpg better.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline bocevus

• New user!
mpg
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2005, 07:31:06 PM »
Ok I feel a bit better now.  I've been guaging the mpg when the fuel guage starts blinking the gas tank.  On average it starts blinking around 110 miles. Sometimes 115 miles.  At that time I usually start looking for a gas station.  

I have only once gone into reserve at 136 miles.  Ever since then I usually fill up at the 100 mile mark.  I guess I was spoiled with my under powered 01 Suzuki Volusia.  It had an automatic reserve of sorts.

Offline Big Bo

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2005, 03:57:12 PM »
I am so pissed at my Bandit, 2002 1200S, that I am thinking of selling it. New left over 02 purchased in Sept. 04, got high 47-49 mpg. Added a Scorpion pipe and the milage stayed the same, but the header started turning blue. Removed the pipe, ordered an Ivans jet kit. Jet kit installed, wow!!!! Bike ran like a stripped ape. Milage went to a high of 46-47 mpg. This is OK with the power and how I like to get on it. A couple months later the milage dropped to 28 mpg!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!  
Found some carb boots loose, retightened the boots. MPG went to 31 mpg. Had the mechanic look at the bike, said all was fine. Last month took it to another mechanic, he adjusted the valves and said she is good to go. This is BS!!! To go from 46-47 mpg to 28, then 31 mpg just sucks. When I ride with friends I am always the one looking for a service station to fill up. I used to be able to go 160+ miles before I thought of a fill up. Now at 120 I know I have 1 gal of gas left. If this problem is not corrected I will trade the Bandit in for something else, I don`t want too as I really like this bike. This milage thing SUCKS!!
2002 Silver 1200S
Two Brothers slip on
Busa shock
Power Bronze Hugger
Zero Gravity Double Bubble
Ivan`s jet kit and air box mod

Ya gota love a 1200 torque monster.

Offline kpresco2

• Board Regular!
mpg
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2005, 07:58:40 PM »
I'm getting about 43 mpg (US) on my 2005 B12
Ken Prescott

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2005, 12:36:45 AM »
I get anywhere from 37 to 43 mpg most fillups.   I have had a low of 32 mpg when the wifey and i took a short trip.
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2005, 01:15:05 AM »
Quote from: "Big Bo"
If this problem is not corrected I will trade the Bandit in for something else, I don`t want too as I really like this bike. This milage thing SUCKS!!
Hey big bo look at this as bike bonding! There has to be a big reason for that kind of drop! It has to be running a bit rough compared to the way it used to! How many miles? Try diff plugs, diff weather, fuel type has changed with all the monkeyin around they are doing! But there must be a leak or very dirty filter for that much of a drop! Carb sync maybe needed but you would notice a diff idle. Somthing simple i bet!!... :duh:

Offline Big Bo

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2005, 09:55:56 AM »
7800 miles on the bike. When the milage dropped it had about 4000 miles on it. Carbs have been sync`ed. Valves adjusted, I don`t ride it hard. But I will top 80- 100 once in a while. New tires.   :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
2002 Silver 1200S
Two Brothers slip on
Busa shock
Power Bronze Hugger

Offline KX5000

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2005, 11:15:11 AM »
Hey bog bo, did you change gearing?? that will make a big difference.. my 97 1200 gets about 25 mpg. when ridden conservativley I get about120 miles before I hit reserve. but the way I usually ride it's more like 100 miles til I hit reserve. But I never rode a bike to save gas anyway, at least it gets better mpg than my boat! :stickpoke:
3 Kids
2 Dogs
1 Wife
NO problem!(yeah right!!)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2005, 06:07:34 PM »
7800 miles on the bike. When the milage dropped it had about 4000 miles on it. Carbs have been sync`ed. Valves adjusted, I don`t ride it hard. But I will top 80- 100 once in a while. New tires.  
Don't trade her! But with all the pro's you've had working on it this is bafflin.. I'm sure if you did something like changing ratio's to rocket off the line you would expect this, so with that said! My 98 B12 which i have had from almost new, and have put over 35k on has never gotten that low a mpg... I've had race core/street core/ and stock bolt on cans... Been thru opening up the air box and shimming needles,mpg went down to around 33mpg, wasn't drivable to me so closed up most of the holes and went back to stock setting... back to around 40mpg RS3 Zyclone core Yoshi and stock otherwise. Ran bad with low mpg one time because i put about a pint too much oil in it!!!? And one big thing is when i used to buy the hi $ NGK's that fouled every time i left the warm up on too long! it ran like crap! I now have the $2 champions they sell at walmart 15k ago, never need to touch the warm up lever.. The other thing comes to mind is your primary jets, i'm sure the caps are off! if they are out more than 2 3/4 turns your using more! I sure hope you stick with it, you have a prob somewhere!! It would seem that for that big a change there would be some noticeable diff in it running /idling. Please keep up the posting! I am a bit in wonder how a car can get this kind of mpg and these bikes even with all the get up and go they have, don't do better!! By the way i have never been able to put more than 3 3/4 gal in my tank, even when my guage is on the low side of red! They hold over 4 huh!!! Good luck i sure would like to know! Too bad its not in warranty? I'd take it back!  :duh:

Offline Big Bo

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2005, 04:33:53 AM »
Stock gearing.

It does run rich, I can smell it.
Sometimes when I am at a red light and blip the trottle it acts as if it wants to not rev, almost like it wants to back fire????? Hell I don`t know.
After the mechanic worked on it, the power is now at 5500 rpm, it comes on very strong. Before the milage drop I would roll on the trottle and it just went. The mechanic told me he pulled the jets that came in the Ivans kit and went to a smaller size to increase fuel milage. The jet change did not help milage.

TPS???
Timing???
2002 Silver 1200S
Two Brothers slip on
Busa shock
Power Bronze Hugger

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2005, 01:44:47 PM »
Stock gearing.

It does run rich, I can smell it.
Sometimes when I am at a red light and blip the trottle it acts as if it wants to not rev, almost like it wants to back fire????? Hell I don`t know.
TPS??? Timing???    
   If you are talking main jets! they would only come into play at about say 3 to 4k rpm's and usually make little change in mpg! more fuel + air = rpm = mph = citations!!!!!@#$    Blipin the throttle! does the rpm dip be low the idle line and then come up to it? If so it's way too rich on the idle circuit (primary's) Set the idle up to about 1500rpm by adj knob, then adj the primary screws in until ea cyl cuts out..out until its smooth ( 2 1/2 turns for most )set idle back to your setting (1k) Are you doing any of this yourself? Are you mechanic savey? if so pull the plug/s and see how they look after it's idled for a while? I'll bet black and sooty which is your mpg thief!!! From all the paid folks you have been to they should have found the problem! In defense of them, folks jump from shop to shop when the problem can't be found quickly! i find that alot!! Give em a chance ! Machines can be quite complicated, mechanics like doctors need to go thru the process checking a new patient.... Before they get to the problem!! :beers:

Offline Big Bo

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2005, 10:31:28 PM »
Idle is at 1500 rpm.
Does not drop below 1500 rpm after a blip.
Not doing any work myself.
Will pull the plugs Tuesday.
Thanks.  

Will post Tuesday the plug results.  

What plugs should I put in it??

2002 1200s, Ivans jet kit with airbox mod, Scorpion Pipe.
2002 Silver 1200S
Two Brothers slip on
Busa shock
Power Bronze Hugger

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
mpg
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2005, 12:47:23 PM »
Idle is at 1500 rpm.
Does not drop below 1500 rpm after a blip.
Not doing any work myself.
Will pull the plugs Tuesday.
Thanks.  

Will post Tuesday the plug results.  

What plugs should I put in it??

2002 1200s, Ivans jet kit with airbox mod, Scorpion Pipe.
  This can be a tricky subject.... Champion's from walmart #8809's ($2.00 ea) is what i found works for me! I got these because the ngk's fouled and i had to get something on a weekend! They worked so well and still are for over 10k of use! They are hotter than the JR9b ngk's which make a hotter plug if you want. The champion's get the kernel into the flow of fuel better in MHO. Your climate, elevation, mods, etc etc make a big diff! That's why they make so many and you need to read yours.. There are sites that will give you a chart to help you decide which one is rite for you. There are endless stuff on the web that will confuse you more than you are now! But here is one, you can find all you need from this one or any other brand on the web....
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/charglossary.asp?kw=Heat+range
  http://www.championsparkplugs.com/results_appOther.asp?otherMotiveID=16088&mfid=2 The ticket is finding one that gets you close, your stock plugs if you still running them was for the best, lean, E.P.A. requirement. Your not stock now....   read the color etc to fine tune what you need. 1500rpm @ idle is too hi (I think) It will clunk the trans too much! and if the 1200 is tuned rite even with your carb mods that hi isn't or shouldn't be needed! If cams, timing, etc have been changed and its for racing yes or if you are in traffic @ idle where it needs to keep oil moving to cool it maybe. I like mine @ 1000. Hey if you can afford to have others do your work? find a good one and stick to them! But to learn the basics is the rite path in MO... the bandit is a good one to do it on..
:beers: