Author Topic: Noob here !!!!  (Read 3178 times)

Offline wrathchild

• Board Regular!
Noob here !!!!
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:49:13 PM »
Hi folks.
I am new to the site so be gentle, please.  :grin:

I am 90% sure going to be a Bandit 600 owner in the next few days, but I am turning to you folks, the Bandit experts, as to get some insight and advice.

The one and ONLY thing that I am concerned about with this bike is the year the bike was made. It is a 1996 Bandit 600, and as far as I know, it was the first year they were fabricated. It has 24,000 KM's on it ( 14,912 miles).

Is there anything I should be wary of with this model? I have read many reviews over the net and the concensus seems to be that it is a good bike, but I still think I need more convincing. It will be my first bike and I want to make sure I am going to ride it more than repair it.

Thanks.

Offline 0to60

• TURBO TYPER!
Noob here !!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
I have owned a 1996 Bandit 600s model for 4 years now and its got 24,600 miles on it. Its a great all round bike for scooting around town and can hold it's own on the highway too. I ride all four seasons, but not in the rain. The only major repairs I had done was replacement of cupped valves ( Previous owner must have ran excessively high rpms in low gears). That is an unusual problem that normally does'nt happen unless a bike has been abused. Other than that it has been in the shop for routine maintenience, such as tires and brakes.Even though the engine is obsolete GSXR air/oil cooled technology it has proven itself since the racetrack days of 1988. The insurance is dirt cheap ( for me $112/year vs. katana 600 $880/year) and the maintenence is simple and easier to keep up vs. the 2006 bikes, leaving you with more money for mods. The buying price is much cheaper then comparable 600's also. Many parts from the katanas 600, 750, and pre 1992 GSXR's, as well as the Bandit 1200 will bolt on or fit with some fabrication, if you want to modify later.
It can be a little cold blooded in the winter, but a jet kit and yosh pipe cleared that up ( the coldest I've had it outside overnight at work was 15 degrees F).It is a great beginner/experienced first bike if you can find a non thrashed one at a good price. I paid 3800.00 (taxes included) in 2002. Back then it had 5,500 miles.

Did I mention that it is a unique bike from the rest of the crotchrockets that will draw lots of attention.

:congrats:  on your choice of the 1996 Bandit 600.

The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary

:motorsmile:
The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
Noob here !!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:47:45 PM »
Welcome to the site. I agree, I am sure you will not regret the purchase if you go ahead with it.  How is the condition of the bike over all? Sometimes it is hard to tell if a bike has been thrashed.  From what I know the Bandit 600 will take as much as most will throw at it.

Good luck.   :motorsmile:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Noob here !!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:03:55 AM »
I've had my B6 from day 1 and ride the thing with alot of guys with 1liter bikes, pushing it as hard as I can. I have about 60 thousand miles on it and have had no problems. Best bike for my buck, sometimes I think I should be a little nicer to it. My paint is faded from red to pink, bike out lasted the paint, I ride every day no time to paint it. 11 years still going strong.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Noob here !!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 06:25:07 AM »
Mate I have a 96 600 bandit and have flogged the living crap out of it since I got it, as it says down there. and there is still heaps of life in it yet.
Ps it was my courier bike too. And I still reckon its the single best bike I've ever owned.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline wrathchild

• Board Regular!
Noob here !!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 10:39:42 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is well appreciated.

AMBOMAN, the bike seems to be in exellent condition from the pictures at least.. :lol: ..but I am off to see it tonight. It was driven by a girl all these years and the mileage is quite low for a 10 year old bike. All tune ups and maintenance was done at her local dealer with reciepts to prove it, and it has 2 brand new tires as well. I am going to see it tonight and if I like what I see, im leaving with it.

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
b6
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »
Get it! C'mon, you know you want it. Buy it buy it buy it. You won't regret it!
Christ is Lord!

Offline wrathchild

• Board Regular!
Re: b6
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 02:19:37 PM »
Quote from: fritobandito
Get it! C'mon, you know you want it. Buy it buy it buy it. You won't regret it!

:lol:  :lol:

Your damn right I want it !!!! Honestly, unless there is something majorly wrong with the bike, I will be riding it home in a day or two.

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
Noob here !!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 08:32:59 PM »
Don't forget in the excitement to check all the run of the mill stuff.  You know look at the fork seals brake discs etc.  If able I evan check the air filter.  Gives me an idea of how well the bike has been treated, if its in a good state then the owner cares enough to maintain things.  If air cleaner is black and thick with crap then how has the rest of the bike been looked after.

Good luck, I hope all goes well.  Take your gear with you just in case you might need it  :motorsmile:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.