Author Topic: Oil analysis results are back!  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Oil analysis results are back!
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:27 AM »
I just got the oil analysis results back from Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/). Read on for the details, but the conclusion is that I'll be changing my oil at 7,000Km from now on.

Odometer reading at the time sample was taken: 92,000Km
Oil use interval: 6,000Km
Oil type: Mobil 1 15W/50

My comments/background:

- This is the oil I put in last October, rode it for 1,000Km and stored for the winter. The engine was cranked several times but nor started until spring.

- Oil was changed again May 25. In the mean time, the bike was ridden in cold weather, through heavy showers and sustained several long stop-and-go commutes at engine temperatures above 110c (I've seen 14o at least once).

- No oil was added between changes - the engine didn't leak or burn any.

- I use more-less any oil filter I can get except Fram (Hi-flo, K&N, OEM...) and OEM Suzuki air filter.

- My Bandit currently has 103,000Km on the odometer. It was recently compression tested and it passed with flying colors (160+ psi on all four cylinders). I changed oil at short intervals (3,000Km) only twice, when I was running the cheapest mineral oil. Otherwise, it was never changed sooner than 5,000Km. I generally change oil filter every other oil change, not because I want to save but because I don't like going on a separate errand to buy the filter.

Comments from Blackstone:

This was a long oil run for your Suzuki, but the engine handled it
well. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of
engine after ~3,800Km on the oil. We would expect a little higher wear
since you ran 6,000Km and that's what we got. that said, nothing was
so far off as to show a mechanical problem. We don't see anything
indicating heat damage, so we don't think the high temps are a
concern. The TBN was 6.1 showing lots of active additive left. the air
and oil filters were functioning well. Try going 7,500Km on the oil
next. Nice report

My conclusions are the following, feel free to draw your own:

- Mobil 1 rules :). I've used it almost exclusively for the past 80,000Km and this only convinced me to continue. Red cap, gold cap, pink cap, no cap... doesn't matter a bit.

- Bandit is king :). Here's to the next 10,000Km!

- Changing oil for winter storage, not to mention changing it again in the spring, is for those who don't know better and/or have nothing better to do with their time and money. I'd rather ride the snot out of it and use my time for maintenance that really matters.

- Next time someone tells me they are changing oil at 3,000Km I'll ask them what type of cooking oil they use or how is their stunting/racing/drag racing career coming along. I'll also offer to do their oil change for them on the cheap and dispose off their used oil for free, especially if it's Mobil 1 15W/50 or other good synthetic :).

Here is the copy of the full report:
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Oil analysis results are back!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
 :clap: :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
That is great news!

I have been using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 since July 2008 because it is supposed to stand up to high heat and I live in Florida where air cooled motors can get hot in slow traffic.

Did you get any information on how to interpret the chart?
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
That is great news!

I have been using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 since July 2008 because it is supposed to stand up to high heat and I live in Florida where air cooled motors can get hot in slow traffic.

Did you get any information on how to interpret the chart?

Can't compete with Florida heat-wise although this summer was unusually hot here in the great white north, over 30 for weeks, even at night. My little oil temperature gauge/cap got over 120 Celsius quite a few times this season. I dare not measure the head temperature when the oil is that hot for fear of freaking out completely :). Never had a single problem due to overheating and the analysis proves that. If not completely neglected and heavily abused Bandits are more-less indestructible.

I haven't got to translating every row in the report yet, but the explanation of what each figure means is here:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/report-explanation.php
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc