Author Topic: Oooooo! Let's talk sport/touring! :-)  (Read 14749 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Oooooo! Let's talk sport/touring! :-)
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2007, 10:01:40 AM »
Don't know about the BBQ option, but I hear the double as beer coolers pretty well in their standard form. You can let Bubba bring the BBQ in the back of his F250 and you can just offer to bring the beer in the Givis.

:beers:  :motorsmile:  :beers:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Don't know about the BBQ option, but I hear the double as beer coolers pretty well in their standard form. You can let Bubba bring the BBQ in the back of his F250 and you can just offer to bring the beer in the Givis.

:beers:  :motorsmile:  :beers:

Now that's thinking.  :wink:

I never liked the big round trunks, they look huge and top-heavy. A tail-bag is much better, and soft saddlebags.  But I could live with the color-matched sidecases... :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »
When it comes to sport touring there one area that I almost hate to mention because whoever makes it (if it hasn't happen ed already) is going to make a small fortune. After about 300 miles especially after other all day activities and if its cold out I start to get a little fatigued (hard to believe I know). Anyway I get myself into a modified road race position with my elbows tucked in and my chest resting most of my upper body weight on my tank bag which I stuff to get the right hight for support allowing me to sustain that position in relative comfort 50 miles at a stretch before repositioning. My point is that if someone would design a tank bag with a built in inflatable bellows on the top that could be adjusted to support your torso in a selected positions I for one would buy it for those long cold night return trips. :idea:
   I have looked, has anyone here seen or heard of any tank bag product like that?

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »
Well, as I impatiently wait for the "07 1250 to arrive, I started playing around with my Paint program, and I came up with my idea of what I want the new bike to look like.

I already have a set of soft luggage that looks like this, and I hope to find a lower fairing that looks similar.

I know, it's just an amateurish effort, but if you kinda let your eyes unfocus a little to blur the image...  :roll:

Now I have something to compare it to once I get it together... whaddya think?
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline ZOOMER

• Board Regular!
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2007, 09:23:23 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
Well, as I impatiently wait for the "07 1250 to arrive, I started playing around with my Paint program, and I came up with my idea of what I want the new bike to look like.

I already have a set of soft luggage that looks like this, and I hope to find a lower fairing that looks similar.

I know, it's just an amateurish effort, but if you kinda let your eyes unfocus a little to blur the image...  :roll:

Wow, when I first saw that I thought it was real! Just for a second!
So you said you already have bags like that? What kind are they? I don't think I ever saw any that look like that before.
I like black!  :bigok:  :beers:
ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2007, 10:56:53 PM »
Cool, but nothing about an inflatable bag. But now you got me on a new idea, and inflatable Lycra tank bra. Just think of all the other applications besides adjustable chest rest. You could inflate it when posturing at a light next to a Harley's, it could be tapped into the security system to warn close passerby,s like an iguana. The product might even have crossover application the female real world. LOL

Anyway thanks for the insurance information, I got about the same increase in quote from Gieco. But apparently it is true that the quote is pretty high if your under 25 or your a poor rider.

Quote from: "Ranger"
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
My point is that if someone would design a tank bag with a built in inflatable bellows on the top that could be adjusted to support your torso in a selected positions I for one would buy it for those long cold night return trips. :idea:
   I have looked, has anyone here seen or heard of any tank bag product like that?

You mean like the Bagster Tektra Tank Bag ?
http://www.pashnit.com/hayabusa-mods.htm#bra
I've seen this Bus in person, it's a nice setup.  The one I took for a test ride had one similar to this and it was nothing to lay down on the bag while streaming down the highway.
Speaking of a Busa, I got a quote from my insurance guy just a couple minutes ago.  My Bandit is 525 a year with full coverage (SoCal rates); a Busa would only be 545 for the same coverage  :wink

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »
Quote from: "ZOOMER"
Quote from: "ZenMan"

Wow, when I first saw that I thought it was real! Just for a second!
So you said you already have bags like that? What kind are they? I don't think I ever saw any that look like that before.
I like black!  :bigok:  :beers:

The bags are the RallyPack Deluxe series made by Dowco, the folks that make the bike covers.

Here they are on my V-Strom:

The little blue reflectors are inserts, you can change them to several different colors... including silver or black.

I think they'd look good on the Bandit.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2007, 10:53:27 AM »
I've never cared much for soft gear, but I do like the looks of yours.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »
Although I like the looks of the SV1000 more then the V-storm, I do Like the way they attempt to incorporate the forward protector into the fairing. I wonder how much it works in a simple drop over or lay down. The cool thing about side soft luggage is that its less intrusive to the legs and seconds as a relatively inexpensive protector that can be tossed and replaced. Also keeps the center of gravity low when not in use.
   Anyway I would rather have any Suzy sport V-twins than any of the pricey art deco Italian specials.

Offline ZOOMER

• Board Regular!
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »
Cool! Dowco, huh? Those are nice bags! I like the tank and tail bag too, I like the shape. I've never seen those anywhere. Where can you buy them at?
ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »
Quote from: "ZOOMER"
Cool! Dowco, huh? Those are nice bags! I like the tank and tail bag too, I like the shape. I've never seen those anywhere. Where can you buy them at?

Zoomer, you can get the Dowco bags here:
http://www.extragear1.com/get_item_291018_dowco-rally-pack-sport-bike-saddlebags.htm

ExtraGear1 also has the tank bag and tail bag. They also have the "Value-pack" series which look almost the same, but smaller and cheaper and no reflectors. They're way cheaper than Tourmaster Cortech or Joe Rocket bags, look the same and are good quality.

This company is a great source for luggage and other motorcycle accessories and they have a large selection at good prices.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2007, 12:43:42 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Although I like the looks of the SV1000 more then the V-storm, I do Like the way they attempt to incorporate the forward protector into the fairing. I wonder how much it works in a simple drop over or lay down. The cool thing about side soft luggage is that its less intrusive to the legs and seconds as a relatively inexpensive protector that can be tossed and replaced. Also keeps the center of gravity low when not in use.
   Anyway I would rather have any Suzy sport V-twins than any of the pricey art deco Italian specials.

CWO, I like soft luggage for all the same reasons you do, and if you lay it down you're not out a lot of $$. I could get used to a nice set of color-matched hard side-cases, as long as they didn't stick out to the sides much. But I can't stand those big, bulbous trunks like the Givi's.

The "forward protectors" you're referring to... do you mean the crashbars? Those are aftermarket SW Motech I installed along with the skidplate, from Twisted Throttle.

I like the SV's too, but the V-Strom is great on dirt roads, and I wanted something light for "adventure touring". It's listed as a dual-sport, but it's not that great off-road, like a KLR or DR is. It will easily compete with any other big-bore dual-sport though, and handles like a sport-bike in the twisties.  :bigok: