Author Topic: Tail-Gating and Poll  (Read 3265 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« on: May 04, 2006, 05:24:20 PM »
I know there have been lots of posts about it but...

Had to take the truck today and was cruising along behind six other cars doing 96 in a 90.  Fellow comes up right behind me and sticks to my rear bumper - I tap the brakes a couple of times and you should have seen the sign language!

Can't understand what advantage that has if you stick on my bumper and I have a bunch of cars in front of me and we're all doing the same speed.

So it started me thinking about what I would have done if I was on the Bandit.  Probably just pulled over right away a snd let him go by...never have tapped the brakes.  

So I drive safer on the bike but riding a motorcycle has made me think about a lot more things that could happen in front of you - so has becoming a bike rider made me a better cage driver as well?

Whaddaya think?  I've heard other people agree wholeheartedly but I wanted to hear everyone's opinions or see their votes.
Jim

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:58:27 PM »
I would say it makes us better drivers.  I have noticed a difference in how I drive my cage in the summer vs. the winter.  I often catch myself automatically playing the "what if" game in the summer, then as the winter wears on I have to admit I start to lose my edge, then I have to start over again in the spring.
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »
I think riding a bike makes one become more aware of their surroundings
and that habit continues when driving a cage.

Blue
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 03:05:02 AM »
I'm spit 50/50.

Yes I agree that as a rider you are more aware of what is happening around you etc etc.

But, if like me, you ride a damn site more than drive, then sometimes you can 'forget' that you in the car not on the bike.  This can be really embarassing, not to mention dangerous, when you try an squeeze up the inside of someone, or try and overtake a line of traffic - or is it just me that does that.... :duh:  :duh:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
!!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 09:53:36 AM »
I couldn't vote because there was no category for it ought to but I don't think it does.

I drive more carefully around bikes, but I don't think I drive any differently otherwise.

Now get out of MY way I"M in a hurry YOU"RE too slow this lane is MINE!!!  :gatlin

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:41:53 PM »
Never try lane splitting with a Hummer.

Blue

Quote from: "aussiebandit"
I'm spit 50/50.

Yes I agree that as a rider you are more aware of what is happening around you etc etc.

But, if like me, you ride a damn site more than drive, then sometimes you can 'forget' that you in the car not on the bike.  This can be really embarassing, not to mention dangerous, when you try an squeeze up the inside of someone, or try and overtake a line of traffic - or is it just me that does that.... :duh:  :duh:
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 12:45:11 AM »
I agree with the "you'd THINK we'd be better drivers..." category.  When you average in all those footdraggers on crotch rockets zipping back and forth between lanes and jumping to the head of a line of traffic at stop lights or by using turn lanes, it makes it more obvious that selfish and competitive driving habits can be found in bikers too.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 07:27:17 AM »
It's not quite a hummer, but when not on the Bandit, I drive a 5600 lb. F140 Crew Cab 4X4!  Talk about altered perceptions!!

Funny thing is I approach every intersection now with caution as though I am still on a 450 lb. bike and not wrapped in a huge steel cage (literally)

jim

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 09:41:36 AM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"
It's not quite a hummer, but when not on the Bandit, I drive a 5600 lb. F140 Crew Cab 4X4!  Talk about altered perceptions!!

Funny thing is I approach every intersection now with caution as though I am still on a 450 lb. bike and not wrapped in a huge steel cage (literally)

jim

Ah, so you have one of the Ford Compensators!  :banana:

Offline FreediverGa

• Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 11:02:23 PM »
LOL good one! :lol:

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Tail-Gating and Poll
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 05:25:55 AM »