Author Topic: Passing the torch  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Passing the torch
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:02:37 AM »
Friday afternoon was sunny and 70, and so when I left work, I had a couple hours to kill before the game.  Not enough time to get too far away from the arene, so I rode around a bit and ended up decided to just go on to the arean and sit in the sun.  I am glad I did.

There were three guys in the parking lot, mid-30s to mid-40s.  One of them had just bought a GSF500 (it literally had only the miles from the dealer to the parking lot on the odo), the other two were trying to teach him.  (One of the guys rode it there for him.)  It was really touching.  They were so patient with him, much better than I could be, trying to get him to learn they whole clutch/brake/throttle start & stop process.  I avoided giving advice (mostly) and tried to just be happy for him.  I did ask and found out that he is signed up for a class next month.  He really knew nothing...wasn't entirely sure if that keyhole on the gas tank was how you got in there.  This came up because Suzuki apparently saves 4 cents by not putting a gas guage on the bike!  He thought he could juts look in the tank, but that means you have to stop the bike and turn it off and use the key.  We explained to him about learning his range and filling up routinely, and I told him he'd need to learn how to slide his hand down his leg to find the reserve fuel knob.

My only piece of advice was that he should take his time, learn his own pace, and not worry about impressing anyone or being a stunt rider.  (In this area, most black riders have GSXers and 'Busas, and ride them like it's a performance.)  Even though his buddy said he's a street racer, he supported my advice.

ANother guy came by in a truck as was friendly and supportive.  I like the way the motorcycles really tear down walls, and people of different cultures and races can talk like they've known each other for years.

Unfortunately, dude dumped his bike before he was done, scuffing up the fairing and one mirror.  It proably won't be the last time, but as I've learned, all that can be fixed with a little time and money.

I left them to go into the arena when it opened, and had such a great feeling all night.  There are so few times when most men will let down their guard and be open to letting another guy tell them what to do...or tell another guy to do in a way that is supportive and doesn't put him in a "one down" position.  Oh, and we made the playoffs, so I was in an even better mood by the end of the night!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Passing the torch
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »
Last year I taught a couple of friends how to ride. Street riding with friends who are new is really stressfull but the grin for ear to ear under the helmets all made it worth while.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:26:27 PM »
This story is sweet, but makes me sad... People should not buy brand new motorcycles unless they already know how to ride.
My $0.02.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »
I taught the minister of War and her friend Grumpy Sam(antha) to ride, and spent most weekends out riding, and most friday nights teaching basic maintance, and adjustments, through to fork seals etc. But as I say you can only teach so much, then its up to, get out there, suck it and see. Both have earn't my respect, they both have rode long and hard, enough to have earnt Iron Butt status and on equal machines can pull the moves I'd pull. Speaking of the minister, there has some days she has me working overtime, to stick nearbye, and the only time she gets me nervous  is on the odd time I climb on the back, but then again I don't like being pillion no matter who the rider is. I really must say I felt proud as punch, when they both finally managed to become fuild, and relaxed, they both stepped up to the next level, and become one, with the machine, and proved to themselves that they didn't need big machines to keep up, for that matter, to set the pace, and have some knee slapping fun. The day I seen them giving guys with more years riding, on machines like R1's the hurry up and in fact rounding a few of them up, on their little Across 250's on the Spurs run, I knew all was good. :clap: Mind you I think an ego or 2 good damaged :lol:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:01:31 AM »
Street riding with friends who are new is really stressfull....

No kiddin'!

Good for the guy.  I don't think I'd want to start on a new bike either but... at least it's a decent beginner bike.  I'm surprised the sales person didn't talk him into a 'busa. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7