Author Topic: Pull Front Wheel on power?  (Read 10522 times)

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
Pull Front Wheel on power?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 02:01:48 PM »
Do more research on the 12R --- you are not going to break the motor.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 03:28:45 AM »
the cb900 (919) has good power, about 110 hp, but I like a little wind protection, Im a very wide 6 foot 1, 250 lbs and the over 80 mph cruise gets tiring acting as a huge air brake.

I picked up a windscreen for my 919, and it seems to be the best of both worlds for me.  Of course, I ride without it most of the time, and am only 5'4".  I do commute into the city regularly though, and have some trouble keeping it under 80mph (indicated) lately....  :shock:

Ive owned YZ yamahas that can wheelie whenever you want, but the on street and a 425 to 565 pound sportbike is a different animal.

Why are you so gung ho about wheelies anyway?? To me the risk is too great, crashes, lost licenses, wrecked parts on the bike...  I never have "gotten" that wheelie thing on public roads.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 01:01:21 PM »
Wheelies are flat out addictive.

Even after a misdemeneaor "exhibition of speed"  :duh:  fine and pain, I can't stop.  

Every chance I get, I'm busting a big fat wheely and riding the bike into the rev-limiter, and having the front end come crashing down.

I don't give a shit.

It's some phallic thing I suppose.

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 01:03:48 PM »
I should mention one thing:  I do have a rule when doing a wheely.  
I only do it on divided roads, and there can be no cars in front of me.

i.e., I usually come to a stoplight, filter up to the front, then take off on one wheel.

i.e., I try to remove the chance that if I phuck up a wheely, that I don't crash into a car or pedestrian.

:motorsmile:

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 01:57:05 PM »
Oh dont get me wrong, Im not hung up on wheelies, Im hung up on power!
I will enter the interstate near my home which is divided and also with no cars in front and wheelie my 600 in second with clutch and lots of gas.

However after riding this light bike on long high speed trips I would like alittle more weight, with some wind protection and while Im at it, ridiculous horsepower.
Im guessing my little bandit with bolt ons is 85-90 HP at 450 pounds, why not go 550 ( ZX-12R) and 175 hp?
I love the acceleration and the ability to roll on without banging down 2 gears would be nice.

As I stated my morning commute is 50 miles each way at 80 mph, being a size 56 sportcoat I catch alot of air, its tiring after 50 miles, so I feel I need a screen of some sort.
I like the CB919/900s looks, suspension looks good, ergos etc, havent gotten in the saddle so I am not sure about the power. I am in awe of the ZX-12R stories, wheelie power unlimited, but Ive never really been a Kawasaki fan. I really trust my Suzuki and Honda engines.
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 02:34:15 PM »
Kevin, I can answer your question!!

I am about 6'1" and weigh 250lbs. , pretty wide as well.  

I have a 1999 1st gen bandit 1200s that I converted to naked.  I am running D&D can, holeshot midpipe, and holeshot stage 2 w/ K&N pods.  I dyno about 125rwhp.  And I have geared down 1 tooth on the front sprocket.  

With this setup 1st gear wheelies are silly easy, 2nd are very easy roll-on, and third are roll-on hard and pull back on the bars.  

The bike is so powerful, that even in 5th gear if on the gas hard and you go over a hill in the road the front end wheel launch (super scary at triple digit speeds!).

I now have 30,000 miles on my bandit, and have often wanted other bikes; but there is simply nothing out there that can give the kind of fun and excitement that this bike has.  I have even ridden a friends turbo busa, and although the bike was about one step beyond insane, I still prefer my bandit.

Wheelies were just as good when the fairing was on, the only major difference is that now I can see where I am going!
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 08:16:29 PM »
Kevin,
Any liter bike is going to feel much stronger to you.

You're going from 40ft/lbs in your Bandit to 75-80+ ft/lbs.
That translates into some serious pull.

And... wheelies.    :banana:

Offline mattt

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.thebikersdirectory.com
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
Take a look at this, is it me or does it seem that he can just role on wheelie when ever he likes in what ever gear. This bike is a gsxr-1000. I'm thinkin of a gsx-r600 as a next bike id like to know what they are like for role on wheelies?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7742354140852426378
http://www.thebikersdirectory.com - The directory for motorcycle enthusiasts.

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 02:05:59 PM »
If you want to ride like that then let me take a life insurance policy out on you right now. The GSXR 600's roll on pretty good in 1st gear, 2nd gear to get em to come up you gotta be goin over 55 and they come up easier if you clutch it. The GSXR 1000 that I rode was doin roll ons at 90 if you bop the throttle just right. Clutching it up at 120 wasn't a problem. These were both 02's that I rode so it may be easier now with improvements. Check out getting a older TLR Vtwin, tons of tourqe to get you up in the air, but heavier than the GSXR.  Why are  you into roll on's so much and not clutching it up? If you are going to be doing wheelies you need to learn how to clutch it. If you don't want to because it would be too hard on the clutch then you don't need to be doin any wheelies to begin with because EVENTUALLY if you ride dumb all the time your bike will have a close encounter with the pavement.
01 1200s

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 07:11:35 AM »
tanner isnt quite getting it. I can clutch wheelie just about any bike ever made over 500cc or 80cc in the dirt.
I am not looking at "street/ track bikes" like a gsxr or zx-10 because I want a slightly longer wheelbase and some leg room for my 100 mile a day commute.
I want roll on power because I want roll on power, just a guy who likes power ( Ive got powerful guns, cars (vettee) truck (hemi modified) and body ( 6,1 250, bench 425 plus at 43 yrs old).
I think the ZX-12R is the one, I started looking seriously and it figures all the bikes that Ive been seeing are gone. Id like a B series bone stock and super low miles (6k or less). It will take alittle time but Ill find one.
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline mattt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 12:45:41 PM »
yeh i spent an afternoon the other day practising clutch ups in 2nd gear on my B6, lol i still cant do it (wahh), managed to get my wheel up a few inches before it came back down. Should I practise in 1st gear instead, would it be any easier?

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 01:19:57 PM »
wheelies fine in 1st with clutch, I dont really even pull, wheelies in second with a good push/pull/cluth pop.
You should be doing better in 2nd? Its a 600 so dont spare the throttle!
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 05:14:27 PM »
what about b4's then? Just curious, i might try it one day but i'm not sure if i ever have the gal for it. I'm very happy taking curves the fast way, but doing wheelies (both power and clutch) and keeping them is something that still mystifies me
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline mattt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 06:13:05 PM »
ha yeh maybe i was just being too shy with the throttle but i was getting a bit of a clunk after a while of doing it that worried me a little, checked my chain afterwards and phuck me had it stretched. I've got 3 of the ghost rider videos it amazes me how easy he makes it look.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 10:17:33 PM »
what about b4's then? Just curious, i might try it one day but i'm not sure if i ever have the gal for it. I'm very happy taking curves the fast way, but doing wheelies (both power and clutch) and keeping them is something that still mystifies me

The complete idiots guide to motorcycles supposedly says that the B4 is one of the best handling bikes ever made.  I say keep it on the ground and let it do what it loves, rather than beating the ratshit out of it.   However, that said:

http://www.ukbike.com/reviews/bikes/gsf400.html

I'd say it can be done.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works