Author Topic: Pull Front Wheel on power?  (Read 10520 times)

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
Pull Front Wheel on power?
« on: August 14, 2006, 04:10:22 PM »
Ive got a 2001 GSF600S in great shape, nice bike, had it about 2 months really having a good time. Its my first sportbike, Ive been riding mx and cruisers (metric and amaerican) for 35 years (43 yrs old).

I want to keep my 600 but I am looking for a comfortable sportbike with fairing that has roll on wheelie power. I find the 600 kinda light for the open road.

I dont like riding GSXRs and the like very far too uncomfortable but maybe ZX-12R? ZX-11, CBR1100XX, what do you like?
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:00:36 PM »
Naked second generation B 1200.  I love it!
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »
"Comfortable sportbike"
"Don't like GSXRs"
"Roll on wheelies"

Naked sportbikes sorta define what you're looking for.
But you go and screw it up by saying you want fairings.

The bikes you list are (ZX12, XX), I guess, classified as sportbikes.
But they're not sportbikes, they're sporty bikes.

I owned a Hayabusa and loved it... I thought it was "OK" comfort wise stock, but loved it "more" when I put some $40 handlebar risers on it.

I've heard nothing but good re: the XX in terms of performance and comfort.

Let us know what you end up with.

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 07:40:10 PM »
FWIW, of the bikes you list, they'll all power wheelie easily in first gear.

None of them are going to "easily" power it up in second, unless you have serious technique or about $1500 in mods.

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:40:16 AM »
Dont get me wrong I like seeing engine and framework on bikes, however I require something to break the air over me in some form of fairing. 80 miles and hour is my hometown of Atlantas standard highway cruising speed, speeds of 80 plus about blow me off my bike, Im 6 foot 1 and 250 rather extra wide pounds, I catch alot of wind.

I like the look of the ZX-12R, but is it comfortable enough to do some high speed touring on? I dont expect FJ1300 comfort but I am looking for more performance than that.
It my understanding that a ZX-12R will pull the front end in 1st or 2nd stock. I think the CBR1000XX has about 15 less horsepower and maybe (im guessing) a slightly longer wheelbase. Possibly it cant wheelie under power in second, only 1st? I dont know, But I know alot of guys around town swear by the blackbird for high speed cruising.
Id love a ZX-12R with only a small fairing like my Bandit S, or a blackbird, maybe Kawaski will make a naked or semi ZX-14?

Not a hayabusa fan, awfull ugly and uncomfortable for my size frame (love the power though! and suzuki bullet proof engine)
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »
Sorry, I don't know if the ZX12 will loft it in second on power alone.

I imagine there will need to be technique, at a minimum.

Offline wheeliekev

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.wirralwheelieboyz.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:40:20 AM »
i had a zx12r and they will come up of the power in second, you need loads of practice to catch it every time though, use the clutch in second and they come up dead easy  :grin:
02 bandit 1216, wheelie fanatic

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 07:19:36 AM »
Trade in the 600 for any 2 gen Bandit 1200. Ergos feel about the same and you'll have all the power you'll ever need.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:41:23 PM »
A Naked bike that has no problem with this is a CB900f ( Hornet 919) from Honda.  It has a "re-tuned" fireblade engine in it, so it's not lacking for power. I have pulled the wheel up in first without trying, as well, I'm sure it's been close a few times in 2nd.   (Perhaps I should keep my temper under control  :roll: )

And insurance is cheap, cos it's not on the radar yet.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline mattt

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.thebikersdirectory.com
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 11:13:57 AM »
Im confused I thought most sports bikes will role on wheelie in first, second and even third. Ive never done a wheelie in my life ive only been riding my B6 this summer so im still a learner really.
http://www.thebikersdirectory.com - The directory for motorcycle enthusiasts.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 05:26:57 PM »
Im confused I thought most sports bikes will role on wheelie in first, second and even third.

Most bikes (600 CC and above) can do it in first.  A really torquey (sp?) bike can do it in higher gears.    To roll a wheelie ( i.e. no help from the clutch) generally, the bike has to be able to be able to accelerate fast enough to overpower the front wheel.

Now, keep in mind that your bike is between 450 and 500 lbs wet, and the engine as a major weight component, is at the front, and low.  Encouraging the bike to stay on the ground essentially.

Really, the issue with wheelies is the same as the reason most any vehicle on the road will never out accelerate us.  Power : Weight.

The best way to do wheelies in 1,2, 3, and 4th gears is to get a dirtbike.   My KTM 200EXC does roll on wheelies in 1,2,3,and 4.  Haven't tried 5 or 6.  It weighs 235 lbs, and has gobs of torque.  Some times it becomes a matter of trying to keep the front down, rather than letting it up.  

At that point also, you're going to be keeping your wheelies where it's safer for you to be doing them.  Cops don't appreciate them, and while you're learning especially, crashes are a fact of life.   Not to mention the stress and damage that wheelies do to a street bike. (Chain, sprockets, fork seals, I've even heard that the weld where the steering stem attaches to the frame takes a hell of a beating.  I'd believe it.)
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 09:03:36 PM »
To be fair, dirtbikes are geared to top out at ... what, 75mph?

They're "torquey" --- somewhat.  They're also light as hell, and have this thing called a huge rear sprocket.... LOL.

ZX10s will definitely bring the front end up in 2nd without any work.

But there are *few* stock bikes that will just whack the front end up in 2nd --- it'll take some technique.

It's not like a bandit 1200 in first gear... there's no technique involved... just twist the throttle quickly... :)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 11:14:23 PM »
To be fair, dirtbikes are geared to top out at ... what, 75mph?

They're "torquey" --- somewhat.  They're also light as hell, and have this thing called a huge rear sprocket.... LOL.

All true.  I was also inferring that wheelies are safer on the dirt, wherein 75mph is reserved for the truly insane.  ( a la the guys in "Dust to Glory")

20 - 30 ft lbs of torque on a dirt bike is enough to easily land yourself on your rear and have you buying rear fenders, if you're not paying attention.  Mostly cos of the power to weight ratio I mentioned.  In the dirt, that's way more than enough.  :wink:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline mattt

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.thebikersdirectory.com
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 07:23:46 AM »
some good advice stormi, I had a play on a kymco 125 yesterday and as the weather will be getting worse in the next month or so im really tempted to sell my B6 and get a road legal dirt bike around 400cc. Then I wont be so annoyed getting caught in the rain I can get filthy instead  :grin: . I did have a look at some dirt bikes on bike trader but cant belive how pricey they are older bikes going for more than my mint B6 K3. I'm looking for a cheap fairly big bore that I can abuse.
http://www.thebikersdirectory.com - The directory for motorcycle enthusiasts.

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »
the cb900 (919) has good power, about 110 hp, but I like a little wind protection, Im a very wide 6 foot 1, 250 lbs and the over 80 mph cruise gets tiring acting as a huge air brake.

I like the bandit 1200 S with about 105 hp stock but I was  looking for a stock engine with more. The Z1000 kawasaki is kinda weird looking and the pipes are hideous. I like the ZX-12R power, but I hear its sensitive to oil level and there have been quite a few motor failures?

Ive owned YZ yamahas that can wheelie whenever you want, but the on street and a 425 to 565 pound sportbike is a different animal.
2001 Suzuki GSF600S