Author Topic: Returning Soldiers Dying on Motorcycles  (Read 3383 times)

Offline 1200 bandits

• TURBO TYPER!
Returning Soldiers Dying on Motorcycles
« on: February 09, 2006, 09:01:21 PM »
http://www.click2houston.com/automotive/6781320/detail.html

Saw this link posted on CMG.

Sure to generate comments.

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:15:55 PM »
Atleast they recognize a problem and are attempting to fix it.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 11:51:54 PM »
Hooray for the military :banana:  :banana:

sounds like they are taking the right approach.  any other government agency woud have spent millions studing the problem, and solved it by banning motorcycles, or denying health coverage to service members injured in a motorcycle accident.  :gagme:
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline aircav1182

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:58:02 PM »
Having just returned from the North Central area (Tikrit) around the end of November, I can relate to the adrenaline rush void.  I have found myself riding a bit more aggressively at times but the thought of making it through all that crap over there kind of gives me a feeling of "Thank God I'm still alive" type of attitude and I quickly come back to my senses.  My age (43) and the fact that I'm scared of damaging my B12S  helps me keep things in check as well.
  The military (Army for me) is doing the right thing by promoting the Motor Cycle Saftey Course.  I was ordered to go to it and ended up learning things that have saved my ass on a few occasions.  
  I wonder if I can talk them in to giving up some track day vouchers to help with the adrenaline thing.....

Tony Wood

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 08:24:23 PM »
Quote from: "aircav1182"
 I wonder if I can talk them in to giving up some track day vouchers to help with the adrenaline thing...

You can tell them it's OK with me to use my tax dollars for that! :bigok:
You deserve it!  :thanks:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
bikers
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »
This has been going on a long time.  After WWII we had hundreds of ex-fighter pilot jocks that couldn't get their thrill anywhere else but a bike.  Its how the outlaw biker gangs got their start.  Only difference I see is that back then those guys were riding bulky old Harleys and Indians that put out about 30 hp.  The GIs today looking for a thrill are on mega hp superbikes on crowded roads, not good.  Safety courses and a track day is a good idea.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 04:27:59 AM »
It is sad to see that they survive the war, only to die at home.  To top it off, the numbers are higher at home. :sad:
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline meanstrk

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
Please note that these number of deaths are compared to deaths in Afghanistan  and not Iraq. We are talking a very limited number here and in reality, not many more than were getting injured or killed before. The real problem is that these guys are coming back from theater with loads of cash in the bank and are buying bikes and trying to ride without training.

Bikes are becoming an increasing problem with deaths and injuries in all sectors of life, not just military. As they become more and more popular, it is inevitable that more get killed or injured.

I can tell you that that quoted number of 350 since 2001 is a high, unrealistic number.
Ron
MSgt USMC
Semper Fi

USDesmo #845
2001 Bandit 1200s..... 1991 Katana 600..... 2001 SV 650
2002 Aprilia Futura..... 2004 Honda CRF 250 R (son's toy, but I like it too!).....
1995 Honda XR 200 (Donna's toy)

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
death
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 01:48:55 PM »
Hey, thats how General Patton died.  Many skirmishs with the Germans and he gets hit by a car at home and dies.  Even Lawrence of Arabia died on his bike at home.  I was reading an article in Cycle and mc deaths are way up, it says congress is looking into it.  I just hope they realize its the rider and not bikes so we don't get all kinds of worthless safety gadgets tacked on.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 09:58:34 AM »
They keep reporting on the increased deaths in the m/c stats and mostly attribute the increase to the >40 crowd. One thing I haven't seen is how often is alcohol involved. I'm curious to know if this increase can be attributed to new/returning "bikers" and bar hopping on their cruisers. Seems like a likely assumption given that's the type of bike most popular in the >40 age group.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
riders
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 02:39:02 PM »
Alcohol I'm sure is a factor.  On my Sunday ride to Pt Defiance park at the entrance there is a tavern advertising "40 ales on tap".  The lot was full of Harleys & cruisers, I doubt they were drinking sodas. :beers: