Author Topic: Riding in Daylight Fog  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Riding in Daylight Fog
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:14:25 PM »
A couple weeks ago, we had *very* heavy fog in the morning that continued well after sunrise.  I always enjoy walking, driving or riding in the fog (not so much at night in unlighted areas).  Since it was daylight and we were projected to have a warm, sunny day once the fog burned off, I decided to commute on two wheels.  It wasn't until I was on the road that I realized just how hazardous this was.  I prepared some thoughts for the "rider safety" topic at our CMT/ABATE meeting, and thought I'd share them here as well.

Daytime fog is uniquely hazardous for a number of reasons:

--Oncoming vehicles may not be using headlights.   While it was technically daylight, about half the cars did not headlights on.  That meant oncoming cars and cars on side streets/driveways were hard to see until you were very close to them.  Make sure you are riding with as much light as possible to ensure you can be seen, even if you can’t see other vehicles.

--Vehicles in front of you may not be visible until you are very close to them.  I had ridden for almost a mile before I became aware that there was a vehicle in front of me (that's how thick the fog was!), but like a lot of other drivers on the road, this driver was not using his/her headlights, and therefore did not have any tail lights.  Encourage drivers to be sure they have tail lights on when driving in fog, whether they are using low-beam headlights or fog lights in front.

--Traffic lights are hard to see in heavy daytime fog.  While lights will create a glow in nighttime fog, they are obscured by general brightness in daytime fog.  Several times I found myself coming to an intersection and not being able to see if the light was green until I was almost in the intersection.  Red lights were a little more effective, but generally, the only reason I knew  was coming up on an intersection was because I recognized things along side the road!  In heavy daytime fog, be especially careful to watch for indications that there in an intersection ahead...turn lanes, right turn signs and street name signs and brake lights of vehicles ahead all indicate there is an intersection ahead.  Then proceed with caution, since the light may be nonvisible or malfunctioning

--Intersections are also dangerous since the vehicle behind you may not see you are stopped.  As with other dangerous situations, position your motorcycle so that you have an escape path, remain in gear, and flash your brake light to differentiate yourself from the vehicle in front of you…alert the vehicle coming up behind you that there is less space between them and the vehicle in front of you than it may appear.

--Use other hazardous driving/riding skills:  Proceed at a safe pace and allow enough space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.  What is a safe pace and enough space?  It's whatever is needed to allow you to safely stop if the vehicle in front of you stops, or if you realize you are coming upon an intersection or a road hazard (pot hole, etc.)  Also be aware that the road will be slick, especially if it has not rained recently, and allow more time to stop and take turns a little more conservatively.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Riding in Daylight Fog
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:21:29 AM »
 Another thing to watch for in the fog is deer!  It would also help to have a windshield wiper on my viser.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
It would also help to have a windshield wiper on my viser.

Yeah, that "turn your head sideways and blow it off" thing only works if you're moving fast enough.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
All good stuff, Sven......but......

and take turns a little more conservatively.

I'd modify that to read..."a LOT more conservatively". :stickpoke:

What with all the sand/gravel left over from the winter combined with the slicky wet road from the fog....well, you get the idea..... :grin:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »
  It would also help to have a windshield wiper on my viser.

rainx
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:02:52 AM »

rainx
on both the outside and inside of the visor I find it cuts down on the fogging up.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:31:23 PM »
Two votes for RainX above.  I've tried the polish-type version and found it hard to get it clean.  They make many versions...which type(s) are y'all recommending?

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »
What with all the sand/gravel left over from the winter combined with the slicky wet road from the fog...

The trees have all bloomed.  The pears are fully leafed out.  The daffodils are all bloomed out.  The azaleas are blooming.  They put some grit down back in the winter, but it's long gone with spring rains.

Sorry, I just had to rub it in for those of you up in Canadia. :stickpoke:

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:43:03 PM »
Two votes for RainX above.  I've tried the polish-type version and found it hard to get it clean.  They make many versions...which type(s) are y'all recommending?

I use regular rainx on the outside and ranx no fog on the inside
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:36:47 AM »
What with all the sand/gravel left over from the winter combined with the slicky wet road from the fog...

The trees have all bloomed.  The pears are fully leafed out.  The daffodils are all bloomed out.  The azaleas are blooming.  They put some grit down back in the winter, but it's long gone with spring rains.

Sorry, I just had to rub it in for those of you up in Canadia. :stickpoke: Damn man,thats brutal! I got 5 " of snow last night. Hopefully there isn't as much in town,there usally isn't. Because I'm doing a bathroom remodel and had to set my tile saw up in a unheated garage. I should have drain the water yesterday,now it will be frozen over when I get there. CRAP!

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
  And another 8 to 11" by tommorow! What timing with the bathroom remodel :banghead: I'm tired of this crap,and its all my fault for taking off the studded snow tires!

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:00:25 AM »
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »
Someone at a stealership, and I think at the MSF training course last year, was telling me that Rainx on the Visor would mess with the plastics.  I've never tried it for that reason.  It would be nice not to have to turn my head so the water will run off.  Since I have an extra shield, I may just try some Rainx.

A wiper wouldn't be bad either, hehe.
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
I've used rainx on all my helmet I've never had an issue with it, but all I've tried it on is HJC, Icon and Shoei.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
rainx will  help hide smaller scratches .
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors