Author Topic: Selling bike - test ride policy  (Read 6837 times)

Offline sloow

• TURBO TYPER!
Selling bike - test ride policy
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
I'm afraid I am short of cash and have to sell my Bandit 600. I  am wanting advice on how to properly conduct a test ride. Do you just hand over the keys, and let the potential buyer sail off into the sunset. What is reasonable / safe to ask?

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:08:57 PM »
Personally, if they don't have a license, then no test ride.  Tell them "I'll ride it around the block and show you it runs".

If they have the money and want to haul it off, take payment and give them the bike/title.  They can do whatever they want after that, as long as they loaded and left your property and you have payment.

I really discourage test rides.  If they want to argue, I say 'go to a dealership and see if they will let you test ride.  I had to buy the bike without a test ride from them.'  Most riders know this already. If they don't, they shouldn't be asking for a test ride to begin with...  Unless you get off to watching them drop your bike at the end of the driveway before they paid for it.

I'm sure others have varying opinions, thats just the way I do it.  Discourage test rides.  But do start the bike, ride the bike in front of them, and show them al the ins and outs of starting etc...

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
I dont like allowing test rides either.  I usually get out of the problem by saying that if there was an accident, my insurance is void unless I am the rider of the bike.

Blue
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 03:49:53 AM »
There are only a handful of people who are allowed to ride my pride and joy.  My mechanic, and even then I specify to the shop that only the Head Mechanic or Owner is to ride it.  My wife is allowed to ride it (I kind of have to do that as the payments come out of her pay not mine) and a couple of close friends (usually I'm riding their bike at the time).

As for selling a bike and letting a complete stranger ride it, the only way I'll do it is if they show me the colour of their money and agree that if they break it they bought it.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:00:51 AM »
They line the palm of your hand with the full amount, if they bring it back all in good order, they may have it back if they wish not to purchase the bike.... This one also sorts the tyrekickers out.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline jesjames9598

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 06:48:47 AM »
A wife who pays for your bike,sweet jesus there realy is a god.Does she have a sister.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 07:41:06 AM »
Quote from: "jesjames9598"
A wife who pays for your bike,sweet jesus there realy is a god.Does she have a sister.

Just to set the record straight, while the payments for MY bike come out of HER pay, the payments for HER bike come out of MY pay....

Don't ask, long story....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 09:57:54 AM »
Quote from: "B6mick"
They line the palm of your hand with the full amount, if they bring it back all in good order, they may have it back if they wish not to purchase the bike.... This one also sorts the tyrekickers out.

+1  :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 10:13:29 AM »
NO test rides unless you have the full amount you're selling for in your hand FIRST!  You are at great liability as well if they fall or hurt themselves.  As adults they should understand when you say, "My insurance doesn't cover that".

I never expect, nor ask for a test ride because of this, unless the OWNER himself suggests or insists.  That has happened to me as well.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 10:20:02 AM »
If you're worried about the liabilty - and who isn't in these suit-happy days - you can sell them the bike by taking their money and writing them a bill of sale, let them take it out for a ride and if they're happy when they come back, sign the title over to them.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »
I think sometimes offering a test ride is okay.  I recently sold my Bandit to an experienced, 40+ year old rider.  He and I spoke several times on the phone and I was pretty sure of his interest in the bike.  I sent him several pictures and a one page info sheet describing it.  

When he came to my house to see it he brought his S.O. along -- the bike was for her afterall.  She was able to reach the ground readily and liked the riding position, but said she didn't want to ride due to lack of experience on a large bike.  Her boyfriend did ask though and after seeing his license and motorcycle endorsement I agreed.  She stayed behind and we talked while he went for a ride.  

When he returned he agreed to buy the bike for the price I was asking.  He gave me a check and said I should take it to his bank for clearance and he'd pick up the bike later in the week.  I still had the bike in the garage, he had the title transfer documents and the check cleared the next business day.  

My point is that the prospective buyer should be evaluated before any test ride -- in this case I felt assured of his interest and sincerity even before he visited to see the bike.  His age was a factor as was his reason for looking -- a bike for his girlfriend.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
test ride
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 02:08:14 PM »
I sold two bikes last year and had to really think things over, especially with the Gixxer 1100.  Luckily, I live in a large cul de sac so they couldn't just ride off.  I did let each buyer take a spin as they were both clean looking and were endorsed.  Otherwise, I'd say no.

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 01:20:23 AM »
I AGREE WITH MOST OF YOUR POST.....

BUT I WILL LET A PERSON TEST RIDE THE BIKE, EVEN IF THEY ARE YOUNG.....

I EVALUATE EACH PERSON, I CHECK THEIR LICENSE, I SOMETIMES ASK FOR A DEPOSIT OR PAYMENT IN FULL.....

I ALWAYS TAKE THEM TO A LARGE "EMPTY" PARKING LOT, ( I HAVE A GOVERNMENT BUILDING IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD THAT HAS BEEN VACANT FOR SEVERAL YEARS).....

THE REALITY IS, GIVING A TEST RIDE IS AN UNCOMFORTABLE FEELING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BUT IN MOST CASES, PEOPLE DON'T "WINDOW SHOP" FOR BANDITS, THEY ARE USUALLY SERIOUS BUYERS.

Quote from: "ray nielsen"
I think sometimes offering a test ride is okay.  I recently sold my Bandit to an experienced, 40+ year old rider.  He and I spoke several times on the phone and I was pretty sure of his interest in the bike.  I sent him several pictures and a one page info sheet describing it.  

When he came to my house to see it he brought his S.O. along -- the bike was for her afterall.  She was able to reach the ground readily and liked the riding position, but said she didn't want to ride due to lack of experience on a large bike.  Her boyfriend did ask though and after seeing his license and motorcycle endorsement I agreed.  She stayed behind and we talked while he went for a ride.  

When he returned he agreed to buy the bike for the price I was asking.  He gave me a check and said I should take it to his bank for clearance and he'd pick up the bike later in the week.  I still had the bike in the garage, he had the title transfer documents and the check cleared the next business day.  

My point is that the prospective buyer should be evaluated before any test ride -- in this case I felt assured of his interest and sincerity even before he visited to see the bike.  His age was a factor as was his reason for looking -- a bike for his girlfriend.
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 06:47:22 AM »
My stealership wouldn't allow me to take ANY bike for a ride and I was disappointed - thought I would finally get a chance to ride a M50, a Weestrom, a SV650 Naked as well as the Bandit...they were all within a couple hundred bucks of each other.  What an afternoon that would have been!  More fun than a date with Ellen Degeneres!! :wink:

Decision came down to the fact the Bandit felt better sitting on it(!); that plus my research, also the Bandit WAS the best deal.  

Does sound kinda stupid, doesn't it?  Can you imagine buying a car without test driving it?

So no prospective buyer gets a ride except behind me.

Jim

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »
Same here J.
All the delaers I've dealt with have said no, but I've always bought new, never bought a used bike.

I think the main difference everyone is missing here is:  Buying new from a dealer and buying used from an individual are Two different animals, two completely differnt ways of buying/selling.  I mean face it,. what's the chance of going to a dealer and they only have one bike in the place.  Just like: what's the chance of going to an individual for sale bike and he has an entire showroom full of brand new bikes stuffed in his garage.  Two differnt sales. two different animals.

Just my .02 HO...