Author Topic: soft luggage  (Read 4593 times)

Offline hoopcatjc

• New user!
soft luggage
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180646597879&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

anyone know how these fit a 2000 1200S?  I'm worried about contact with exhaust.
thanks in advance

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
Re: soft luggage
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »
I don't have them but my old Joe Rockets are only 10" high and only have like 1/2-1/4" between them and the pipe

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:05:31 AM »
I have very similar bags, and I mount them on the 919, which has high mounted exhaust, and the bags have not melted before.  Just go fast  :stickpoke:  Better airflow.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I have similar ones on my B400.  I tighten the straps a lot to keep them high.  One of the dangling straps melted so keep an eye on that.

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »
Hi Guys:
As an FYI, I had soft bags for awhile. These were secured with straps in several places and hung down the sides of a Bandit 1200S. The problem I found is that dirt inevitably gets under and on the bags at the contact points and was slowly abrading the paint due to vibration, wind movement or ????

I would not recomend them.
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:31:35 AM »
Hi Guys:
As an FYI, I had soft bags for awhile. These were secured with straps in several places and hung down the sides of a Bandit 1200S. The problem I found is that dirt inevitably gets under and on the bags at the contact points and was slowly abrading the paint due to vibration, wind movement or ????

I would not recomend them.

I had the same problem. My solution was to use 4+ strips of electrical tape on the body. After that I use bathtub edging(?) it is a flexible plastic strip with a grove down the center so it can create a 90 degree bend ($4-6 at Home Depot) put this on top of the tape and no more issues, and it all  pulls off super clean at the end.

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »
...and another problem with soft luggage is Leaks when it rains. If you drive for very long with skywater drilling at 'em you have problems.

... and don't leave residual tank bag crossunder tie down strap behind while you ride without the bag. My experience is mine appeared to be safe but wasn't. I was riding at the end of a group and suddenly noticed smoke in my rear view mirrors... just as we pulled in for coffee. One fried poly strap on the pipes. The carbon residue did scrap off easily, thanks goodness, and the red face faded. Still, they called me Flame Man for the rest of the day.

The magnetic tank bag stays put just fine without it and thieves don't seem to grab it. I think that's because it's so butt ugly, they're afraid of it.   :yikes:

Slider
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
The soft bags in my photo above have rain covers built in to inside pockets, pull them over when things get wet.  Also, the underside of them has a neoprene rubber pad to avoid abrasion.  I don't leave them on all the time only when traveling.  When I stop at a hotel I bring them in the room and wipe off any dirt that has collected.  But yes there is still some small abrasion.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »
That could be rectified with a little bit of 3m plastic.  When I had the tank wrapped on the 919, I took it to the guy with all of the bags on it so he could see where they would all touch, and he 3m'd everywhere they'd touch.

I also read about some of that plastic that's basically static cling, but tougher than say a helmet sticker that would do the trick.

http://www.seantmurphy.com/VFR/#Tank

The link he has there doesn't work though (it's a coming soon placeholder page) but it might point you in the right direction.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
Nelson-Rigg stuff is not exactly top of the line gear.
I looked at all kinds of soft bags and ended up with the Givi T411 bags. Well designed and built, came with rain covers and all kinds of extra tiedown bungees and straps. I don't need those bungees and straps so they stay in the basement. They're expandable from something like 23 litres a side to 30 litres a side, so they have lotsa capacity.
I've had them for four seasons now and they do everything I need them to do and the price was very competitive.
My .02 worth....
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings