Author Topic: Man spends night lying injured in a ravine after accident  (Read 2132 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Man spends night lying injured in a ravine after accident
« on: August 23, 2005, 11:28:22 PM »
Man spends night lying injured in a ravine after motorcycle accident
posted by:  Paola Farer  Web Producer

Created: 8/22/2005 8:48 PM MDT - Updated: 8/22/2005 8:49 PM MDT

DURANGO, CO (AP) - A Pagosa Springs man was recovering at a hospital Monday after spending nearly 24 hours lying in a ravine along a rural roadway after injuries from a motorcycle accident left him unable to flag down motorists.

Larry Joseph Fox, 66, of Pagosa Springs, fractured his hip, neck and collar bone, and injured his liver in the 7 p.m. Saturday accident, his wife Evelyn said. He wasn't discovered until about 5 p.m. Sunday.

"He's really banged up bad," Evelyn Fox said. "But hopefully he'll be OK."

He was recovering at a hospital in Durango, where he was airlifted to shortly after being discovered about 10 feet down a ravine by a woman riding in the back of a pickup truck, Colorado State Patrol trooper William Sanders said.

Fox told the woman he had been knocked unconscious.

Fox was able to pull himself about 15 feet up the steep ravine, though his bike was too far down the ravine to be visible from the roadway, Sanders said.

The accident happened at the remote intersection of Archuleta County roads 500 and 700, an area called Pagosa Junction. Sanders said Fox tried to flag down several motorists before he was noticed.  

Dunno what to do about this situation, but it's not uncommon to crash your bike, and end up somewhere traffic can't see you.

Anybody have any ideas?

Maybe keep cellphone on your person, not in tankbag?
   Keep some sort of small  flashlight on your person?
   Don't crash? :duh:
  Maybe a whistle?

I'm not sure you can have the stuff you'll need to draw attention to yourself, when you need it, or if you'll be in shape to use it...or if it will survive the crash.
  A lot of places I ride 'sporty', if you run off the road, I doubt your cellphone would work in a ravine, anyway.

I'm guessing good safety gear is your best bet, preferably with some reflective stuff on it....and on the bike.  Maybe somebody can find you....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Man spends night lying injured in a ravine after accident
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 11:57:18 PM »
Penflares?
I don't know if they're commercially available, but we used to have them in our survival vests when I aircrewed helicopters in the Corps.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
signal devices
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:29:44 AM »
I thought about this years ago and decided a whisle was the best thing to carry. I wanted something I could have in my pocket that wasn't flamable or need batterys.
Mike M.
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.