Author Topic: Sold the Bandit  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Stranded in Iowa

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://home.mchsi.com/~kyle171/index.html
Sold the Bandit
« on: June 17, 2006, 12:17:01 AM »
:crybaby:
I feel horrible for selling my Bandit. But I had to for several reasons. I wanted the extra money for a upcomming Alaska ride on a KLR 650 and also I`ve kinda switched over to the adventure bikeing thing. I find gravel road exploreing much more thrilling than the same ole boring roads around my place. I can only afford one bike at a time and probably end up buying a new KLR when I get back.  I did some gravel roading on my Bandit, but it wasn`t exactely the right tool for the job.  Not exactely the greatest on fuel milage either, 25 mpg on the highways. Sorry for being a traitor. I will still post a ride report from my Alaskan trip.

Kyle
97 B12 Iowa

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »
I would be interested in hearing a general review of the KLR.  It's the competition for the BMW FSs and the V-Stroms, right?

Speaking of gravel riding...

I happened to get off onto a gravel road a couple of weekends ago on the 1200 (I thought would be just a half mile or so to the next paved road) and OOPS!  I was on it for 30 minutes and it wasn't pleasant, let me tell you!  My bike is NOT a dirtbike.

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 01:50:36 PM »
My bandit surprises me everytime i end up on a dirtroad. I've gotten used to the way it feels on dirt enough that i even hang out the tail end flat track style every now and then.

That being said, i'm also in the market for a dualie. There's alot of backwoods dirt roads/ forest service roads around here that need riding and the bandit can be alittle heavy after awhile.

Offline Stranded in Iowa

• TURBO TYPER!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »
Quote from: Desolation Angel
I would be interested in hearing a general review of the KLR.  It's the competition for the BMW FSs and the V-Stroms, right?

I happened to get off onto a gravel road a couple of weekends ago on the 1200 (I thought would be just a half mile or so to the next paved road) and OOPS!  I was on it for 30 minutes and it wasn't pleasant, let me tell you!  My bike is NOT a dirtbike.

I don`t know if I would call it the competition for the BMW FS and the V-Strom, but it`s definetly more dirt capable than them two. Plus, it really doesn`t matter if you accidently drop it either (so to speak). At $5,100 the KLR is considered the "poor man`s" adventure bike that is capable of doing 300 miles on one tank. It`s not exactely a street bike or a dirt bike and it has 1980`s technologies. But in my opinion, it`s perfect for exploring gravel roads and here in Iowa, & we got plenty of those. Last year I discovered a new road called the Dragoon Trail. It`s 150 miles long with nothing in between and very scenic (for Iowa). I`ve been riding it on the Bandit, but again, not the right tool for the job. Nerve wracking sometimes. I hate to say it, but I`m just bored to death with street only riding. Sure, I could just go faster to make it exciting again, but in the last two years I have had four friends get themselves killed (one last week) on their rockets. I`m thru with going fast.

Kyle
97 B12 Iowa

Offline Stranded in Iowa

• TURBO TYPER!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:07:40 PM »
By the way, I accidently started this thread in the wrong place. Sorry.
Kyle
97 B12 Iowa

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »
Fixed it for ya.  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 12:15:06 AM »
so did you buy that at struthers?
01 1200s

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Sold the Bandit
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:13:28 AM »
Quote from: Stranded in Iowa
Quote from: Desolation Angel

I don`t know if I would call it the competition for the BMW FS and the V-Strom, but it`s definetly more dirt capable than them two. Plus, it really doesn`t matter if you accidently drop it either (so to speak). At $5,100 the KLR is considered the "poor man`s" adventure bike that is capable of doing 300 miles on one tank. It`s not exactely a street bike or a dirt bike and it has 1980`s technologies. But in my opinion, it`s perfect for exploring gravel roads and here in Iowa, & we got plenty of those. Last year I discovered a new road called the Dragoon Trail. It`s 150 miles long with nothing in between and very scenic (for Iowa). I`ve been riding it on the Bandit, but again, not the right tool for the job. Nerve wracking sometimes. I hate to say it, but I`m just bored to death with street only riding. Sure, I could just go faster to make it exciting again, but in the last two years I have had four friends get themselves killed (one last week) on their rockets. I`m thru with going fast.

Those seem like pretty cool bikes to me.  I take it they're reliable and tough?  I've seen red ones locally.  Look great!

Offline Stranded in Iowa

• TURBO TYPER!
The KiLLeR 650 Pictured
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:58:18 AM »
Yeah, that black KLR 650 is the 007 model! (2007). Yeah, there tuff, but evry bike has it`s pluses & minuses.
 I`m even thinking about one of these, a DR 650. I can`t make up my mind. :banghead:  :clubme:

Kyle
97 B12 Iowa

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 12:23:25 PM »
When I was in Colorado a couple of weeks ago, A KLR from Michigan pulled into the campground for the evening. He was going to ride up Pikes Peak, then head to Nevada to see his daughter, then up to the Northwest and work his way back to Michigan.

That's hardcore touring to me  :duh:
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
bike
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »
I understand the move, I could be doing the same thing.  I have less and less time for long rides and would like something for off road.  I'll probably keep my B6 because I got it free and with all the mods its a great bike and doesn't take up much room.  The KLR is a reliable old mount.  Its like the Bandit, 80's tech in a proven chassis.  Nothing wrong with a bike thats been around forever, tons of mods, tons of people who have had 'em apart to the last bolt, and spare parts galore.  I'm leaning toward a DRZ 400e that I can get licensed (the E model weighs a lot less and has better suspension and carb).

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 01:52:56 PM »
The old debate revolving the:
Honda XL650
Suzuki DR650
Kawa KLR650

It always comes down to:
Honda - Most dirt capable by a bit
Suzuki - In the middle of either
Kawa - Best for comfort and distance

For any of them, tires, suspension and larger tank (except Kaw) get them closer to each other.  

I owned a DR650 for awhile and used it solely as a street bike.  I think a mod I should have done but didn't was a new seat.  :)

Offline Stranded in Iowa

• TURBO TYPER!
Sold the Bandit
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 10:50:30 PM »
Quote from: curiousmike
The old debate revolving the:
Honda XL650
Suzuki DR650
Kawa KLR650

It always comes down to:
Honda - Most dirt capable by a bit
Suzuki - In the middle of either
Kawa - Best for comfort and distance

For any of them, tires, suspension and larger tank (except Kaw) get them closer to each other.  

I owned a DR650 for awhile and used it solely as a street bike.  I think a mod I should have done but didn't was a new seat.  :)

I know the Honda XR 650L is by far the best when it comes to dirt and suspension. I`m leaving that one out because the seat is about has high has my nipples. Plus the bike isn`t really known for long distance. The KLR is like a complete opposite with crappy suspension (from my readings). The DR 650 is like right in the middle (has you just stated). I`m starting to like the DR because the seat can be lowered to 33 inches. But I`m wondering? Isn`t the suspension on the DR 650 is supposed to be really good too? I heard of people doing suspension jobs on the DR and I also heard that the suspension is good enough that it didn`t need any changing? What`s your oppinion?
Kyle
97 B12 Iowa

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
dr
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 01:49:09 PM »
I'd imagine for street duty and gravel roads the stock suspension would be fine.  If you're going to hit some trails and carry a load for adventure touring, you'll have problems.  The forks take the same mod as the Bandit, progressive springs and some heavier fluid.  I'd shop for a replacement rear shock or see what the guys in the max suzuki site are running on the rear (maximum-suzuki.com). Clarke mfg has some larger capacity tanks you can add.