Author Topic: stealer service  (Read 3187 times)

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:01:30 AM »
Ok, so I took my forks into the stealer to get new seals put in. I wasn't comfortable doing them myself and didnt really have the tools + it looked complicated. I went down last week and asked if I were to take the forks off my bike and bring them in, about how much would it be. The service guy asked what kinda bike I had and sd that it would be an hour labor + parts. He didnt look it up or anything so I figured he knew. I said I would bring them in the next week sometime and when they could get to them...no prob. Well, I took them in yesterday after purchasing the seals from them 11.90 each and droped them off. Labor is $55 per hour and the fork oil was like 8.95 a bottle that was on the shelf.  I figured a couple bottles of fork oil and an hour labor would be roughly $85 plus tax...( I already paid for the seals) They called today and sd it would be 115.00 How royally did I get phucked? They charged me and hour and a half of labor plus parts, and didn't even tell me. Should I tell them to go pound salt? The stealer here is Cedar Rapids Iowa is Metro Suzuki...better known to the HD crowd as metro harley. They treat anyone without a HD as second rate it seems. It was the first and last time that I use their service department. I prolly wont even set foot inthere again...you go and look for anything metric and they snub you. GRR. Sorry I just needed to vent...I know it isnt that much money but the jackasses said one thing and did another...I shoulda gotten it in writing...live and learn I guess. :crybaby:  :crybaby:  :crybaby:
01 1200s

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:12:01 AM »
Bloke don't get me wrong, please, I'm not hanging shyte on you, if you got the wheel out the disc calipers off, the front guard off, and the forks out of the triple clamps. You have done the hard work, I am sure at least one of our fellow Bandit riders, would be local to you, and would stick their hand up to help out, or point you in the right direction to get the work done, at a reasonable price, honestly bloke changing a couple of fork seals is not a big deal, and once shown how to do it you will never visit a stealer again for fork seals again. And if tackled early enough in the day a good old ride, with your new found friend will be the order of the day.
Followed by a few owed beers  :beers:
Next time put your hand up, and don't be ashamed to ask for a little help,  $2 saved at your local stealer, may buy your new found friend a brew.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
seals
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:19:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about your woes.  I usually recommend people pull their own forks and take them to the dealer for the seal R & R.  $115 sucks but its still cheaper than trying to do it yourself and ruining the fork tubes.  I would ask the service manager why so much labor was involved.  Were any bolts seized?  Was there corrosion on the tubes/sliders that needed attention?  Try to talk him down.  Do you buy a lot of parts/accesories there?  Have him pull you up on the computer and say you're a good customer and you feel you're being fleeced.  They've got wiggle room.

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:44:51 PM »
I understand your anger. But, a quote is just that...a quote. They have no way of knowing for sure what they're getting into until they have the part in front of them working on it. I'm not  defending the stealer, just keeping it real.
Christ is Lord!

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:36:52 PM »
I agree, they quoted an hour, took an hour and a half.  Sometimes things take a little longer than expected for whatever reason.  Being in a business that typically bills hourly, I can understand.  At $55/hour for any professional with the backing of a company to be working on something is a good deal in the first place.  I could understand your frustration a little more if it took 9 hours when they quoted 6.

Put this in perspective, it only cost you $27.50 more than you expected.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 06:59:48 PM »
The bike shop my buddy owns,he figures a $100. (cash,he likes 'round #s) So Iid say your alright.If your worried about saving a few bucks,learn to do it yourself. I did my race tech gold valves and springs and helped do  seals on bikes. But I have my pal to keep me on track, because I don't do them all the time. When doing forks remember clean,clean,clean. Doucsh everything out w/ laquer thiner or brake cleaner. And if someone brings in a set that has the bottom bolt loc-tited it can be a pain in the ass. We use silicone opn the bottom bolt. If you don't have all the tools(or someone that does and has done them),then I would say you did alright. Could have been cheaper? sure.. but if its right then,just go enjoy the ride :motorsmile:   Dan

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 07:08:54 PM »
I'd say...

$300 would be "royally phucked"
$200 would be "phucked"
$115 would be "not so bad"

Offline Seanybiker

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.madblaa.com
stealer service
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 10:42:11 PM »
lads me being from ireland. just wondering what the feck is a steelers service????

Offline Rocketboy

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:35:16 AM »
Dealer = Stealer

Offline SHREDDER

• Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:02:37 AM »
I just had the same work done on my fork.  I took the fork off bought the new seals and realized I needed the special seal tool.  My dealer charged me 75 bucks.  That is their hourly rate!!!  No parts or oil included labor only.  I could have bought the tool for less!
Ride on!

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 09:15:31 AM »
Quote from: SHREDDER
realized I needed the special seal tool.  

eeeeeh, excuse me for  sounding dumb, And I have been changing me own seals for years and years, including working in the shop, and never found that I needed a special seal tool.
Or is it like Harley Davidson special tool blah blah blah, spend $300, for a 3lb hammer.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
tool
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 01:57:21 PM »
You probably don't need the seal tool but I'm sure it makes life much easier and you run less chance for damaging the tubes.  I don't think I'd buy one because seals aren't something you replace often.

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
stealer service
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 12:35:53 AM »
*Update*
So I took the bandit down to my grandparents this weekend. A 4 hour trek each way. My fork is leaking again. Those bastards. I will have to call em later this week and see what they can do. I got to get a tire put on a rim, but I am scared to take it to them. Hell, I prolly know more than the teck they are using to fix my stuff. GRRRR :duh:
01 1200s