Author Topic: Suzuki dropping Bandits in 2009??  (Read 5351 times)

Offline wunaB

• New user!
Suzuki dropping Bandits in 2009??
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:43:52 AM »
The dealer in Mesa, AZ told me today that he's been getting the vib from Suzuki that they will be cutting back on bikes in 2009 include the Bandits.

Obviously this could be bonk, but has anyone heard anything?

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Suzuki dropping Bandits in 2009??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:00:08 AM »
I haven't heard that, but I've often wondered what the sales numbers are for Bandits in the U.S....anyone know?  It's only my experience, but other than my Bandit, I've only ever seen one other Bandit...ever!  When I was shopping for mine, an 07, the two dealers I was working with in the Portland, OR area each said they received two Bandits...one ABS, one w/o.  Yet, you look at the sales floor and there were 2-3 V Stroms and a ton of Gixxer's.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »
Dunno exactly what it means... but in my 4 years on Bandit forums... I've probably heard the phrase... "The dealer told me he heard the Bandit won't be back next year"... from about 10 different people. 

Maybe it's just the salesmen trying to make it look like "it's now or never" if you want a Bandit.

Offline BanditoNova

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Love is . . . twisting the wrist!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:33:08 AM »
Long live El Bandito!!!!!!   :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:
This is where something witty and intelligent goes . . .

Offline wunaB

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:32:25 AM »
Paul,
I would agree, but he didn't have any Bandits (or SV or DL anything). There surprisingly few big bikes in the shop. He said 600cc and below machines are selling ok, and scooters are very hot.

BTW, your post are very distracting.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:01:42 AM »
Well they always have one for sale here, and yet I see few on the road (two in the past two years). In fact I see more for sale lightly used than I've seen on the road. I think people buy them for the wrong reasons... as in squidly kid saying "oh you're bike only goes 260",  :motorsmile:thats right only 260. They won't fly off the showroom floor as the majority of people just want to get the 'fastest' bike. Too bad if they stopped selling but like Paul said I've heard all that before.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 12:36:03 PM »
Suzuki is phasing out the SV line.  Don't know if that includes the DL.  They just introduced the GSF-650, which a dressed up 650 Bandit.  The SV650 was a very popular bike for many years.

I don't know if there are left over Bandits that will need to be sold.  Seems like the local shop had a few Bandits after they sold everything else and went all over the country looking for Hyabussas trying to meet demand.  With the falling dollar, you might guess that all the model lines will be pared down to most profitable and high demand models.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:27:01 AM »
I don't think they will drop 'em in total. They might drop them in north america, though. We seem to have a massive prediliction for V twins, especially Harley in the U S of A. The classic Harley is a largely prewar design. Putting DHOC 4 & valves on a V twin, is tarting up an inferior design, in my opinion. Any power enhancing technology you apply to them is Much more successfull with a transverse 4 and less vibs too. This is particulary true of the narrow V Harley, (V-Rod less so).
Could be that the reason is largely dopler radar and laser tickets - also, arbitrary regulation$ and restrictions, such as insurance levies.

The Bandits sell well dam near everywhere else, though. Suzy wouldn't have spent a ton 'O dough redesigning the Bandit, only to drop it after a two year run.  :beers:
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »
When I bought my first Bandit in '99, my buddy who also rides took it for a test spin. He rode a GS500, so he was VERY impressed with the torque and speed. Still, he got off it, called it a rocket sled, and then said, "Too bad it's such an ugly bike." I have never understood that sentiment. I've always loved the look, especially the naked 2001 I had, and the new B1250 looks even better than the 1st and 2nd generations (IMO).

And one of my favorite things about this bike is not seeing a dozen others every time I'm on the road. I live in San Diego where there are motorcycles everywhere and I still hardly ever see a Bandit. Maybe once every few months I'll see one, and those are all older generations. I've had my B1250 since November and have yet to see another one on the road. I love that uniqueness. I don't have to walk out of the Rock Store or the general store at the top of Mt. Palomar and figure out which GSX-R or R1 is mine.

I don't know how well the V-Stroms sell, but I see many more of them on the road than our beloved Bandits. And that's the ugliest bike I've ever seen. I guess there's something to be said for choosing a bike for functionality rather than appearance. I've read the reviews and I know it's a great bike, but damn. She must have a great sense of humor, because that bitch is ugly.

If this is the last generation of Bandits (remember how many years in a row the Vmax was on the chopping block?), I can live with it. I plan on keeping this bike a long time.
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »
I'm sure manufacturing will be cut back for this economy but it doesn't mean supplies will dwindle just less sales. The B1250 cost me $7900 OTD, $800 more then my B1200 new $7100 cost me OTD. Besides the Bandit line being a great value for the price, Its amazing Suzuki pulled off so many upgrades in the B1250 with so little a price increase.

ippo

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
"I live in San Diego where there are motorcycles everywhere and I still hardly ever see a Bandit"

The Bandit is one of the most popular bikes in Finland.(The most popular is honda cbr 1100 xx)
I see several bandits every day (there's 200,000 bikes in Finland)

Offline Hash

• Board Regular!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »
The V-Strom (DL1000) is being dropped since it is not compliant with latest Euro emission standards. All others unaffected (except perhaps other V-twin 1000s). In fact Bandit sales are higher than ever in the UK as more Brits begin to realise the real-life advantages of owning a 1250 to say a GSX-R1000...

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »
Besides the Bandit line being a great value for the price, Its amazing Suzuki pulled off so many upgrades in the B1250 with so little a price increase.

Definitely. To be honest I was wanting to get a FZ1 before I bought the Bandit. I couldn't find a used FZ1 for under $5000 around here. Stumbled across the Bandit and got it for a really good price. Completely happy with Bandit and happy as hell that I bought it. There are still times when I stop and think of how much bike you get for the price, and it surprises the hell out of me that I don't see more on the road.

I could care less if the drop the V-Strom, but would like to see the SV stick around for awhile longer.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:29:53 PM »
well.....at least if they quit making it, it's an automatic "collector's item".  I have quite a list:  1994 Chevy Camaro (Chevy is supposed to bring Camaro back), Isuzu Trooper (brand is gone), Sony a100 camera, Colt Trooper .....etc etc
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »
well.....at least if they quit making it, it's an automatic "collector's item".  I have quite a list:  1994 Chevy Camaro (Chevy is supposed to bring Camaro back), Isuzu Trooper (brand is gone), Sony a100 camera, Colt Trooper .....etc etc

Along with that basement full of Billy Beer, New Coke, Apple Lisas and Schlitz...oops, that's gone back into production, so I guess that retirement fund just took a hit, huh?   :stickpoke:
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car