Author Topic: SwingArm Extension  (Read 11940 times)

Offline FastGTOs

• TURBO TYPER!
SwingArm Extension
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:38:21 PM »
Hello again people. I'm looking to do something new with my bike again. So I came to the best message board for us Bandit riders.

I want to extended my swing arm. I have called a few shops about doing it. But I have to say the prices are kind of on the high side. So then I saw swing arm  extension. But I have not seen them for a Bandit 1200. Has anyone done anything like this to there bike? Or does anyone know if there is any other swing arm  extension that will work from any other bike I can use?

Well again Thanks for all the help and the great board. I have got a lot of help on many other things I have done to the bike.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »
I'm sort of glad you asked this question because Holeshot sells a fully adjustable swing arm mod 0 to +5 inches for what I imagine is primarily for drag racing at it full extended mode. What I want to know is theoretically if you set your wheel to its fullest extension would it have a better touring ride and its shortest extension would it knife around mountain twisty roads better. Having said that why cant Holeshot make it auto retractable on demand with a follower to take up chain slack. Anyone have an idea for the first motorcycle rear detailer type cog wheel to gather 5 inches of chain and hydraulics to change your wheel base on demand LOL. Now that would be cool.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:32:30 PM »
I bought a B12 swingarm from e-bay for $50, and paid $300 to have it extended 4". The shop that did mine no longer does swingarms, and I don't know what the going rate is now.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »
Holeshot Bandit Swing Arm Extensions
Part no. B12-SAE $599.00
http://www.holeshot.com/old/Bandit/bndt_swing.html

Quote from: "BHolland"
I bought a B12 swingarm from e-bay for $50, and paid $300 to have it extended 4". The shop that did mine no longer does swingarms, and I don't know what the going rate is now.

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Holeshot Bandit Swing Arm Extensions
Part no. B12-SAE $599.00
http://www.holeshot.com/old/Bandit/bndt_swing.html

Quote from: "BHolland"

Don't know how I missed this thread!

I recently picked up a used swing arm on E-bay for $48 bucks and figured I would run it over to Trac Dynamics (local boys about three miles down the road) and have them extend it for me big mistake they won't touch it. They offered to make me a new one for $800 to $900 depending on the length and finish I wanted.

I've ridden Turbo Bob's Turbo ZRX 1200R with the 6" over arm and really dig the way it feels in the flats and hacking up the canyons.

I’m debating to drop the extra bones and pick up one from Trac Dynamics or shipping mine up to Dale Walker and save a few bucks!?
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:53 AM »
I'm just guessing but I would imagine you couldn't use the full range of the swing arm without at least a chain segment add-on/removal with two links right?

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
I'm just guessing but I would imagine you couldn't use the full range of the swing arm without at least a chain segment add-on/removal with two links right?

You know that’s part that really sucks about the whole package I just picked up a 520-conversion kit 14 on 47 with a new X ring chain. I figured when if I do it I would just pick up a new chain and stay at a longer setting on the wheel!

If I decide not to do it I'll put the arm back up on Flea Bay I figure I could recoop the cost.
02 1200 Fighter

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
I keep wondering if the tire on this swing arm fully extended would provide a smoother ride due to the longer wheel base. I have also heard that 3 inches over stock makes the B12 handle much better in turns, although you would think the opposite would be true. In any case if your going to have an extended swing arm you might as well have one you can adjust to your liking. Only thing is now instead of using the swing arm slot to adjust a chain, you will need to adjust/cut chain to adjust your wheel base. The ladder being much harder to get right.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 05:25:23 PM »
When you make a make a wheel base longer, you lose some manueverability.  Longer swing arms are great for the straights, but suck for the twisities.  Theoretically, the shorter the wheel base, the more maneuverable it will be.  But, if you shorten it too much, then you run into stability issues.  I remember a few years back, there was an article on a racing haybusa.  One of the issues was shortening wheel base to make it better.  Well they shortened it too much and it became a bit of a tank slapper.  Too much power and too short of a wheel base.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 08:43:55 PM »
Quote from: "solman"
When you make a make a wheel base longer, you lose some manueverability.

Finally back on line!

I don’t know I have ridden Turbo Bobs ZRX 1200r with the race tech 6" over arm and felt pretty damn good in the twisties :banana:
02 1200 Fighter

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 07:59:43 AM »
Quote from: "Mongo"
Quote from: "solman"
When you make a make a wheel base longer, you lose some manueverability.

Finally back on line!

I don’t know I have ridden Turbo Bobs ZRX 1200r with the race tech 6" over arm and felt pretty damn good in the twisties :banana:

Maybe for you, but there was a reason why they made the racing hayabusa with a shorter wheel base.  I wish I could remember how much they shortened it.  I do remember that they did it a tad too much and it became quite the tank slapper.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 09:29:37 AM »
The newer bikes are trying to design for a longer swing arm with a shorter wheel base. Longer swingarm for smoother riding, shorter wheelbase for quicker handling.
I have the stock swingarm and a 4" over swing arm.
It definitely rides better on the street with the stock swingarm. :beers:
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »
I guess when coming out of a corner and twisting the wick on the turbo bike and the boost starts coming up you want the longer wheel base, the front end tends to get a little light!
02 1200 Fighter

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
SwingArm Extension
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 10:23:48 PM »
The front end getting light is the #1 reason roadracers and the OEM replicas try to put a long arm on and try to compensate for that by making engines as compact as possible so the wheelbase can stay short.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)