Author Topic: Target Fixation  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
:wink:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Target Fixation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »
I love that Joe Bar Team cartoon!
... I just wish they published the JBT comics in English!

When I went to the Bol d'Or race in France last year, one of the guys camping in his minivan parked next to me in the parking lot must have been a big fan of Joe Bar:

... but back to the subject of Target Fixation - I spotted this pic on ST.N:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Target Fixation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 06:08:18 PM »
I was reading somewhere that a cousin of this problem is not looking far enough ahead past the target or past the turn. The brain not unlike a weapon system computer needs to have data to work out the correct solution for the upcoming turn and many accidents are caused because people never look beyond the turn and the brain is unprepared to give the body the correct information for speed, breaking, lean exc. which can result in over or short shooting the target resulting in head on collisions and or loss of control from abrupt over compensation.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:24:42 PM »
A former El Presidente of the club a ride with always gave newbies the following advice....

"Always look at least 200 meters ahead of you, because you always fall exactly on the spot that you're looking at"
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:03:18 PM »
Yes, gents, as a man "of a certain age" (as the French put it) I find that this seems to be more of a problem as I get older.
One has to be aware of this and consciously take action to avoid it. For me, the best remedy seems to be more "scanning" of everything around me more often. Seems to have worked so far.... :wink:

"A.D.D. of the apex can rune a day....."
Don't you just love illiterates ?? Now if that wrecked bike HAD been a Rune, I'd have stood up and cheered..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:.....as it is now it's just a ruin......
Sorry....but sometimes I just can't resist poking the animals with a stick..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Target Fixation
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:41:10 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:25 PM »
I remember reading an old Motocross book by "Professor" Gary Bailey (father of David Bailey of motocross fame). He comments that you need to look where you want to go, not where you don't. Your brain will always tend to take you in the direction your looking.

In off road riding, if there is a tree in your way, you need to look past the tree, not at the tree. He said that most novice riders tend to hit the tree because that's what their looking at.

That advice stuck. Also, most recent safe driving courses teach/advise you to look 15 seconds ahead if possible. So I really try to concentrate on looking around the corner as far as I can and focus on my line onto the next straight or following corner.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »
I believe the best street riders are those that have equal or greater amount of time off roading in either enduro, MX, or long adventure rides then those without. The balance, agility and constant differnce in terrain makes the act of riding and dealing with approaching obstacle's more automatic to the brain which includes the experience on going down. Which although more forgiving with respect to injury, is much more often and therefor, better dealt with by the brain. Because of this I believe an on road motorcyclist who supplements his two wheel activities with regular off road riding is much better able mentally and physically to deal with dangers and demands of on road hazards. My point is as we get older and dull compounded by our greater avoidance of on road traffic (the perfect day ride), buying a small dirt bike and hitting the trails will defiantly force your brain in shape and put an edge on your riding skills and a spring in your ass. :motorsmile:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 02:15:32 AM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
I believe the best street riders are those that have equal or greater amount of time off roading in either enduro, MX, or long adventure rides then those without. The balance, agility and constant differnce in terrain makes the act of riding and dealing with approaching obstacle's more automatic to the brain which includes the experience on going down. Which although more forgiving with respect to injury, is much more often and therefor, better dealt with by the brain. Because of this I believe an on road motorcyclist who supplements his two wheel activities with regular off road riding is much better able mentally and physically to deal with dangers and demands of on road hazards. My point is as we get older and dull compounded by our greater avoidance of on road traffic (the perfect day ride), buying a small dirt bike and hitting the trails will defiantly force your brain in shape and put an edge on your riding skills and a spring in your ass. :motorsmile:

I agree with what your saying, to a cetain extent.  I've seen some dirt bike boys get themselves into all sorts of trouble when they try and apply a similar riding style to their new GSXR6/R6/CBR6 etc as they used on their WR's/RM's etc....

For those who don't have the cash to buy a second bike, then riding your road bike on 'good' dirt roads, at a sensible speed, can also "force your brain in shape and put an edge on your riding skills"
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
To clarify when I say off roading I am not talking about long dusty back water telegraph lined vehicular roads, I talking about goat and mule trail, sand washes, pumpkin patch stream beds and canyon rutted passes. Do this with a friend and a couple beer breaks and you not only will have the time of your life, but you will be pleasantly sour working out all those flabby highway muscles. After a month or so you will much more cat like in traffic and better able to deal with "Target Fixation"

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 12:47:18 PM »
I have to say my dirt bike experience has allowed me to react to slides, tire spinning up coming out of a corner, etc. without really having to think about it, it's just natural. But in alot of ways, dirt riding style can get you in trouble also.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 01:09:10 PM »
I will tell you a quick story of a shipmate of mine who's life was saved because of his dirt bike experience, a crazy but true story. Fred had finally bought himself a Virago 650 for commuting to work in 1988 he was driving down 7th street toward downtown Long beach in a succession of green lights so the speed is pretty good about 45-50. An old woman driving a  ford country sedan station wagon waiting to make a left lunged into the intersection with only about one car lengths between them Fred instinctively stood on the pegs and jumped up the motorcycle went into and under the car and Fred cleared the car except for the luggage rack which caught his jacket at the end and flipped him right side up on his feet just behind the car. Any other new or even unexperienced street rider would have probably frozen or stayed seated.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Target Fixation
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »
Quote from: "aussiebandit"

I agree with what your saying, to a cetain extent.  I've seen some dirt bike boys get themselves into all sorts of trouble when they try and apply a similar riding style to their new GSXR6/R6/CBR6 etc as they used on their WR's/RM's etc....

I agree!  The first year I started riding on the street, I had put on about 2000kms before we ever got out to the dirt.  I hopped on the dirtbike and started crashing left and right.   I couldn't figure out what was wrong for the first lap on the track.  Everytime I went into a turn, I'd eat sh!t.  I got off the track and looked at the bike, nothing seemed messed up, but 10 mins into the day I was already hurting.  Then I realised what it was.  You don't hang off when you corner on a dirt MX track.   :duh:   I was applying street stuff to the dirt, and getting really dirty as a result.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
Target Fixation
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "stormi"

I agree!  The first year I started riding on the street, I had put on about 2000kms before we ever got out to the dirt.  I hopped on the dirtbike and started crashing left and right.   I couldn't figure out what was wrong for the first lap on the track.  Everytime I went into a turn, I'd eat sh!t.  I got off the track and looked at the bike, nothing seemed messed up, but 10 mins into the day I was already hurting.  Then I realised what it was.  You don't hang off when you corner on a dirt MX track.   :duh:   I was applying street stuff to the dirt, and getting really dirty as a result.

I dont think I've ever seen anyone hanging off through the turns in the dirt.  LOL  I know it really cracks me up though to pass sportbike squids hanging off in the curves on my B12 while going past them sittin gup in my cruising position.
I have often wondered why they need to hang off when their knee is 36 inches above the ground.  :-)

Blue
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Target Fixation
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 01:58:01 PM »
Quote from: "Have Blue"
I dont think I've ever seen anyone hanging off through the turns in the dirt.  LOL  

And now you know why :)

I was at the stage in my street biking where "I read this,.. I wanna try it..." and tried to apply it to the dirt too.  

If I'd had traction, I might have gotten away with it,... no such thing on that part of the track though.   Within 5 mins of getting the bike warmed up, I'd slid on my belly twice, into a mud puddle one of the times.  *sigh*

I know it really cracks me up though to pass sportbike squids hanging off in the curves on my B12 while going past them sittin gup in my cruising position.
I have often wondered why they need to hang off when their knee is 36 inches above the ground.  :-)

Blue

I'm not sure that it works for me either, but I haven't exactly been trained to do it,... I just experiment a little when I ride.  We're thinking of sending me to the track this year though, and maybe I'll find that it works for me after that.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works