Author Topic: The Big Bandit tore it up  (Read 5902 times)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
The Big Bandit tore it up
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »
  I went to a track day @ Nelson Ledges yesterday,its been awhile since the Bandit had the pleasure. I was a instructor,so it only cost me the gas $ there and back. I took the novist riders, and after doing a session to get them acquainted with the track and the lines I kept loosing one of my students on a YZF6. So I'd pull in the hot pit and wait for him to come back by,and start over. I ended up moving the other to riders up so I could teach him 1 on1. I didn't mind riding around at a slower place (didn't want him over his head) it was like a easy Sunday ride. By the end of the day he picked it up a bit,although not very fast, he got smoother and learned to lean his bike over farther than he ever did before. He had a grin from ear to ear :grin:!
  Toward the end of the day, I would follow him for awhile,give him the thumbs up and go play a bit. Diced it up with a couple of racers who were also instructing. What a blast! People were amazed at what a old man and a GSF1200 could do!One of the guys running the show (Moto Series Track days and Road racing) was in the tower with the flag man. He said watch this guy on the Bandit, and he told him that guy is old enough to be our father!
  Just because you get older,doesn't mean you get slower.
                   :beers: Dan

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: The Big Bandit tore it up
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
 :thumb:  :clap:
Nice to hear those kind of stories.  I used to ride with a guy who was a AMA Superbike Privateer - and a little older than the "up and comers" in the class.  We were on a ride sponsered by a local dealer over a nice twisty mountain road.  The kids on their Gixxer 1K's and R1's kept coming up to him at the lunch break making comments about how his ZRX1100 wasn't supposed to be that fast , asking what he did to it.  He'd reply, 'Just a can and a jet kit... but it's not the bike, its the rider.'  That would have 'em walking away with thier tail between their legs.  :rofl:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
Greetings Dan; what is needed to run bandit g1 b12 on track school. I have original tires. 98 vintage. should they b replaced? talked to a director at SBTT. he said just show up. with 200$ they will take care of rest. Any suggestions on settings. etc. little old guy 180lbs.  I want to learn how to go around a curve. Just in case I do make it to a road like Red01 and crew hit.   thanks  sandy
Fast? yes I'm fast, like a tortoise

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
If you have the OE '98 tires, you'll want some new ones!

1) Most track day orgs want new or near new (~75-80% or newer) tires on your bike.
 2) Yours are OLD - even if you only ride on the street, 13 years is overdue.
 3) The OE tires in 98 weren't that great in 98 and certainly can be improved upon with today's rubber.

Now, if he means bring along $200 after you've already paid for the track day, maybe he's got a good tire deal waiting for you...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:24:29 AM »
  Original tires :yikes: How many miles are on that bike Sandy? Like Paul said,you need good tires and most tracks have vendors there at the track. But I wouldn't want to be riding on the road w/o good tires either, Are they dry rotted,(have little cracks)? I just picked up a new Conti Road Attack 2 for my Bandit. I have different tires I use for track only, but they would be fine for a track day as well and give decent life on the road. All brands have different compounds, the softer the tire the shorter the life. Tires today are so good you can good grip from a Sport/tour tire and get a little more life than a pure sport tire. I get about 3K out of a rear tire on the road. I like to change them as a pair but I can use the front a little longer until I have more $.
  Other than that,make sure your throttle snaps back,brakes are good,
no anti-freeze in your bike so you don't have to worry about that. Go  over your bike and make sure all fasteners are tight and secure. Good chain and sprockets (no tight spots,and adjusted properly) remove your head lamp fuses and tape over the glass (blue painters tape doesn't leave glue behind) remove or tape over signals. And we have them tape over their speed-o too. Bring a cooler and plenty of water to drink, I bring my own lunch,but check and see if food is available at the track. Good helmet,boots that go over the ankles,gloves,either 1 pc. leather or 2 pc. that zips together.Check with the track day ,Moto Series rents Vanson leathers, I think its $50. for the day.Gym shorts,extra dry clothes (you might work up a sweat) for the way home. A good nights sleep the day before. That's about it. :beers: Dan

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
Thanks for the help GUYS;  bike turned over 3k on dyno couple wks ago. tires look good but I have a extra wheel so might switch tires for track.  Bike seldom spins tires.  200$ was for one day, gate fee, and membership.  wont b on track tomorrow. but going down to watch.  there is another class in october.  hope to make that one. went to drags test/tune last nite. for friend of mine.  storm took out power nite b4. they ran one lane. and air was terrible. but some were there for the big weeknd. Old chevyII with chute only running 1st and  part of 2nd gear.  running eleven flat@82mph in 1320. tell me the race isnt in the first 100ft! He was coasting b4 660ft boxes.  Also  got info on GRATTAN track. 3200ft front straight. man that has got to b some mph. THANKS alot Paul and Dan   later.    sandy

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
What is everyone running for track bars? think dragbars will work. thanks  sandy

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
The ought to... just as long as they clear the fairing (if you have one).  My son has drag bars - as in flat/no rise - but the do have a little sweep.  His throttle cables' 90* elbows coming out of the throttle grip brush on the RH fairing.  This could have been avoided if he would have drilled the locating pins holes a little differently - or got rid of the locating pins.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:19 AM »
Thanks Paul; that might b a way to go. lookin n shop to c if I hav a set not being used.  sandy

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »
  I have super bike bars on mine.

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
Dan;  thanks for reply. I would like to see a pic of your scooter.  went for a little ride on only road around close 25mi away. with a few curves. Bike feels wierd when leaned over and hitting bumps. Feels like bike bends in middle. Or perhaps something is loose. but cant find anything.  Where do U suggest I look?  Thanks banditalley.    sandy

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
Just ordered alloy drag bars. hope they arnt flexible. putting bandit back together to run over to get mains for rs,s  just need chain/tires. 

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
 Sandy, There is a pic of my Bandit on the track in the "Big Bandit Banter". I'll see if there is some room on my wife's camera for some close ups.(and try to remember how to post them :duh:)
 Oct.1st is the last track day of the year with Moto Series, I'm hoping to go. The only thing holding me up,is a check I've been waiting for (6 weeks now) for a 300sq.ft. marble foyer I installed.The builder has been waiting for the last draw and its been dragging along. I hate to spend the gas $ when things are as tight as they have been.
  In the mean time, I'll get the bike ready just in case. Then I'll take some pics.  Dan

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
Talked to Shawn@Flycycle. they run blackhawk in rockford Ill.  He was telling me he does it for the pucker pwr. Not to become a racer. 50ish. Got alloy(aluminum)bars from them. they are on but have a couple clearance issues. I think they will help. I like the repositioning fwd. and dwn. will also work @ dragstrip.  thanks for help.  sandy

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »
Talked to Shawn@Flycycle. they run blackhawk in rockford Ill.  He was telling me he does it for the pucker pwr. Not to become a racer. 50ish. Got alloy(aluminum)bars from them. they are on but have a couple clearance issues. I think they will help. I like the repositioning fwd. and dwn. will also work @ dragstrip.  thanks for help.  sandy
  I like to think of it more as "controlled speed" . Pucker power to me sounds like riding over your head,but it does happen from time to time if your pushing your limits. Its like connecting the dots, using your reference points. Brake markers,turn-in markers,roll-on markers(apex),always watching ahead,with complete concentration on what you and the bike are doing. No time for thinking about bills or jobs :motorsmile:. While being a control rider, I don't even use my brakes, just try to stay smooth,using reference points and enjoying the ride and the folks that are out there with you. Not that I don't enjoy picking it up a few notches and dicing it out with the racers once in awhile  :bandit:. But even then I'm not trail breaking into the turns, the Big Bandit feels much better getting your braking done before your turn-in markers and getting the bike settled early,with the weight back on your rear tire,and the chassis settled early.Then its just powering out, and the Bandit does that well. :beers: Dan