Author Topic: Thoroughbred vs. Farm horse...more than aesthetic ?  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Yep !

• TURBO TYPER!
Thoroughbred vs. Farm horse...more than aesthetic ?
« on: December 14, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »
I have no intention of starting a "custom" versus "sport/touring" bike shooting match, but I sometimes get the impression while passing a pack of "customs" that I'm riding "thoroughbred"...ever felt that way...? Customs do well what they do, but...
How do you feel about it...
They're all idiots and I'm their chief...

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 07:05:54 AM »
when you say customs, do you mean the hayabusa/ GSXR/R1 with the 6 inch extended swingarm, candy paint and turbo ridden by a 30 year old with 6 months of riding experience?

Id say you ride a much nicer bike, one that  works.
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline Yep !

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:54:52 AM »
Quote from: "kevinfromrex"
when you say customs, do you mean the hayabusa/ GSXR/R1 with the 6 inch extended swingarm, candy paint and turbo ridden by a 30 year old with 6 months of riding experience?

Id say you ride a much nicer bike, one that  works.

Nope...what you did is start with a thoroughbred and refine it. If you were to do the same to a "farm horse", would you end-up with a thoroughbred ?

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:12:01 AM »
Yeah, we need a better clue on what you mean by "custom".

If you mean those 2-wheeled "sculptures" being built by folks like Jesse James and Billy Lane, etc., I'd say you couldn't ge me on one of those things for any farther than around the block. Yeah, they're pretty and all, but I'm not even sure they can be called motorcycles. They belong on display or at bike shows, not on the street, where they are a danger to everyone near them.

Jusy my 2 cents...  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Yep !

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:59:51 AM »
A better clue on what I mean by "custom"...

I guess I wanted to say Hayabusa/GSXr/Bandit" type versus "Harley/Shadow/Whatever" bikes...

It's all related to feelings, I suppose...maybe the owner of a super refined italian machine would feel the same while passing my Bandit (if I was in a lazy mood  :grin: ) .

Offline kevinfromrex

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 01:57:35 PM »
Ive owned the sportser and an 100 shadow both decent bikes for what they are for. I just found, like many others, that I wanted a sportier ride. More cornering capability, top speed, acceleration, more fun.
The bandit has been the most fun ever, more so than the RF, the RF riding psoition was horrible, wrist killer.
2001 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:51:57 PM »
Call me a "chauvinist" but anything with less than 3 cylinders just doesn't make the cut for me. Soooo......no "cruisers", no SV's, no DL's, etc etc. Only thoroughbreds, IMO. Yes, I've ridden various V twins but for the life of me I can't see the attraction. My Bandit is just nicely coming on the pipe when most cruisers are hitting their red lines. Heck, if I wanted an irrigation pump/engine unit, I would have bought one.  :lol:
And that's not even considering the handling aspect.... although the irrigation pump MIGHT be faster in the corners than most cruisers. :shock:  :lol:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings