Author Topic: Thoughts on 97 YZF 600R purchase  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Jason F.

• Board Homesteader!
Thoughts on 97 YZF 600R purchase
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:56:36 PM »
Since getting the Bandit and deciding that riding is most defiantly something both my wife and I enjoy we have been looking for a second bike. Not looking hard but just a back burner idea for when the right bike and time comes along. Right now we are sharing the Bandit and on nice days we both want to ride.

I have run across a bike for sale locally that may fit the bill.

It is a 97 Yamaha YZF 600R. The bad details are: Salvage Title, 12k miles, bent front brake lever, missing or damaged side plastics, and a flat black paint job. The good details are starts on the first try every time, no cold start issues, runs great, brand new rubber, and brakes for days (man does that thing stop).

A test ride showed no issues/vibrations/problems. I thought the sporty position would be a bit uncomfortable but I found it pretty darn good. I was able to ride and keep my weight off my wrist pretty easily. I liked the peg and rear brake lever positions.

Obviously the bad details will mean this bike would go cheap. Easily sub $2000 but since all mechanical is sound it would be pretty easy to get it looking nice. I am no body man but I can paint and have access to most of the tools needed to do a decent paint job on the bike.

Thoughts? What would you pay for such a bike if you were looking for a second bike or project bike like this?

Anyone have any input on the YZF 600 in general?
www.middletennesseeriders.com

"I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned"

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:53:19 AM »
it was a fun bike more solid than the fzr 600. good buy for cheap!
cheers
jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:59:59 PM »
Is the title salvage, or is it rebuilt?  There is a lot of money and hassle if you have to get a re-built title.  You can't register the bike with a salvage title.  Trust me, I went through it (NY state).  It took from May to the first week in October to get my bike on the road (this is after having all required repairs complete before may).  It also cost $120 or something like that, plus more money to rent a trailer to tote the bike to the DMV for the theft inspection.

Other than that, it sounds like a good deal.  Find out what the actual value of the bike would be with a good title, then deduct the repairs, then cut it to about 75% for the title.  That would be my baseline.

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:07:08 PM »
I rode mine to the theft inspection 45miles away. The sheriff didn't even ask about it. I thought that he would be checking everything like the high beam indicator, horn, lights etc... He just took the title in and did a theft search, came out and looked at the VIN then gave me a sheet to bring to the DMV. DAMNIT!!! I spent time rebuilding the left control so that the horn circuit would make contact, bought a new speedo ass. because I got everything BUT the high beam light on the one on there to work and messed with accually hooking up a high and low beam for that!!!?? He didnt even ask if I had recipts for work done! Oh well.
01 1200s

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:49 PM »
Yeah, my inspection was actually quick and painless.  The problem was the 4 months between requesting and getting the inspection appointment, then the additional couple of weeks for them to send me the new title so I could register it.

Offline Jason F.

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »
title and registration are no problem. You can register a slavage title here and we have little to no inspection issues to deal with. The bike is already registered and titled in the current owners name and has been a daily commuter for him for more than six months. It was sold to him in its current condition and he had no problem getting it on the road.

He is asking $1800 and I have kicked around offering $1400. The damage is all in the plastic and he has been riding the bike with out side plastics as is for a while now.
www.middletennesseeriders.com

"I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned"

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:52:20 AM »
You could always go naked with it and save some money, just paint the tank and tail and rock it!