Author Topic: Tire Repair  (Read 9422 times)

Offline android12

• TURBO TYPER!
Tire Repair
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »
Sorry if this is a repeat, but what do you all think about repairing tires? I seem to pick up nails about half way through the tread life and just did that on my back Conti, its a nail right in the middle. Was thinking of getting a patch kit because Ive heard of some doing that but local shop and dealer say no. ????
'03 b12s Holeshot 17" comp 1 slip on, 5 deg timing adv, and stage 1 jet kit
'06 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT

ippo

Re: Tire Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
In Finland we don't do like that.Never.

Offline mwheat308

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
 I had a nail thru my almost new shinko rear tire, the bike shops around here( Denton,Tx.) offered to plug it for me but refused to patch it.
I bought a plug kit for $4.00 and a patch kit for $5.00, pluged the tire then dismounted it cut the inside of the plug off and put a hot patch on the inside of the tire, this is all old school. I worked in a tire shop for a couple of years in the 70's.
3 to 5 thousand miles later no problems.
The bike shops told me that insurance rules prevented them from patching tires. I don't know about anyone else but it worked for me.
Gun CONTROL is hitting the target the FIRST time!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »
I had several problems picking up nails.  Often on tires that were rather new.  One dealer would not patch them.  Another used to, but now say they no longer do it.  I don't know why they would be liable for your safety, if you signed a release saying you had requested the work and understood that the patched tire may not be safe.  Most the MC magazines say that patching can be safe if done correctly and you are not riding above freeway speeds.  I guess you can do you own patching if the bike shop refuses to do so, but since I don't take my own tires/wheels off, that's not gonna work for me, next time I have a nail/screw.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline android12

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
Yeah thanks. On second thought I do tend to get a little throttle crazy sometimes without even thinking about it, I probably should just get a new one.
'03 b12s Holeshot 17" comp 1 slip on, 5 deg timing adv, and stage 1 jet kit
'06 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 10:39:59 PM »
I never had a worm patch fail on me. In fact I alway cut the worms in half as that is all you really need. Maintaining air pressure in the tire I prep the hole by reaming it out well with my reamer tool back and forth until the hole is round and ready. Then with a little tire slime for lube control-slide my worm tool in all the way almost flush then with a quick yank pull my tool out and let it set up so the tire air pressure flattens the worm up against the hole from the inside. Then after a good 30 minute ride come back and trim off the end right with a razor right up against the tire which makes it almost impossible for the worm to come out from spin force. never had a worm fail, ever.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:47:40 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 01:33:13 AM »
I never had a worm patch fail on me. In fact I alway cut the worms in half as that is all you really need. Maintaining air pressure in the tire I prep the hole by reaming it out well with my reamer tool back and forth until the hole is round and ready. Then with a little tire slime for lube control-slide my worm tool in all the way almost flush then with a quick yank pull my tool out and let it set up so the tire air pressure flattens the worm up against the hole from the inside. Then after a good 30 minute ride come back and trim off the end right with a razor right up against the tire which makes it almost impossible for the worm to come out from spin force. never had a worm fail, ever.

+1... no sidewall fixes though and I'm not a huge fan of running them down to cords with a plug but I wouldn't hesitate to plug and run.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline 350ers

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 11:10:56 PM »
Into the abyss I go! I have never patched a tubeless tire but in the last 6 mths. I've picked up a sheetrock screw, a roofing nail and yesterday a 8 penny galv. nail. ( no, I don't ride in a garbage dump...it just seems like it )Three tires in 6 mths. ( not to mention the other 4 over a 2 year period ) The bike stores won't patch them because of liability issues but 600 bucks in 6 mths is too much for my feeble mind. I'm seroiusly considering patching this latest tire that only has 800 miles on it. After becoming a hood ornimant a few years back, I don't do a lot of strafing anymore...so I'm willing to take the gamble. Any recommendations on good patching systems?

Offline speedwaymaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 03:54:49 PM »
I have patched and plugged tires for both the bandits and my older smaller machines. Not once did i ever have a problem with it.

Thankfully the old man (pop) is/was a professional tyre fitter/repairer so i never take mine to a garage to be done we just do it together the old school way. As said no problems when we've done it.
JJ
'04 GSF 600 Bandit K4
'00 GSF 600 Bandit Y - Used for parts
'95 GSF 400 Bandit - smashed :'(

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 04:35:01 PM »
Way back when my 50 cc scooter picked up a screw after about 400 km. Armed with my bicycle pump I rode it to the shop and had them yank the tire and plug it from the inside.

Ran without any problems for another 6000 kms and I frequently rode 2-up. Then I sold the bike.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 12:15:21 AM »
Here is a better question.  Has anyone ever heard or had tire failure or crashed because of a patch?  I personally have never heard of anyone with issues of a patching tires.  I have a spare tire that caught nails twice.  First patch never gave me problems  and now I patched it for the second nail.   I personally don't have any problems using it or riding it. 
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »
Several years ago, coming back from one of Dale Walkers Banditfests, I picked up a framing nail in a nearly new Bridgestone 010.

I bought one of these from a tire store, went home pulled the wheel and tire and installed per instructions.  I got almost 7k out of that tire and not once did it leak or get weird.
Anyone that has ridden with me knows I'm not too easy on rubber.

You have to install from the inside.  Make sure the inside is clean, no grease or rubber lube.  I cleaned my tire with a couple shots of Berrymans carb cleaner, then used 60 grit sand paper, dusted it off and hit it again with cleaner.  I then used the cement that comes with the patch, gooped it on and pushed the plug from the inside out, through the hole and pushed the patch down into the cement.

You can google where to get the patch.

Edit: My rule of thumb to avoid nails: Avoid any building materials stores or the driveways going into and out of them....and I avoid riding where there is new housing construction going on.
Knocking on wood, I've not had a single nail in almost 5 years.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:04:03 AM by Ranger »
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 05:08:49 AM »
  I've picked up a nail in a new front befor. I also had it patched from the inside with no problems. I know the owner of a old time service station,not a store just a service station with gas,wreckers,lifts that actully work on autos,and a tire machine.
  It worked for me.  Dan

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
When I first bought my bike the rear tire was a crappy Kenda that was patched in two places. Never had a single problem with them. When I was in the market for a replacement, I saw several tire companies offered a road hazard protection plan. I think it was around $40 and they would replace your tire free if you encountered any nails. Might be worth it if you're constantly picking up screws/nails.
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »
I saw several tire companies offered a road hazard protection plan. I think it was around $40 and they would replace your tire free if you encountered any nails. Might be worth it if you're constantly picking up screws/nails.

Cycle Gear offers this.  Might be worthwhile if you have one of their retail outlets nearby.
(FWIW - they have the cheapest mount & balance prices around where I live.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)