Author Topic: Track Bike Advice needed  (Read 3888 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Track Bike Advice needed
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:56:21 PM »
Well I finally think I can actually take track school this spring.
While I would love to take the Bandit I don't relish dropping it. I also have no plans to race the bandit in the future as there is no local class it would fit well.
I have the chance to buy a older EX500 race prepped and ready to go... For you experienced track people would this be a ok choice? Again I don't think there is a class it could run in with even the faintest of a chance but that doesn't worry me for a track school. Basically this bike is cheaper than it would be if I had a low speed low side on the bandit and had to rebuild it again... I guess I'm just concerned I'll wish for more power than the EX can give, last chance I had to ride a cb500 twin I found it funny how used I had become to bigger bikes. Whats the verdict risk the bandit and get a serious workout throwing the weight around, or buy the EX and make do?
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Track Bike Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »
One thing about the EX500, you'd probably learn more/faster on it as you'd have to improve your technique to go fast instead of just twist the grip.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »
Paul is totally right. Especially if it's set up well, you can learn a lot trying to keep up on the track on an underpowered bike.  I've never raced but always got a pretty good rush being 'competitive' on the B4 and even on the F3, which is underpowered compared to most of what shows up at the track for a trackday.  I don't know enough about the various race classes to know how the 500 stacks up in a true competitive situation.  I do know of some trackday riders that regularly have a blast on the EX500.  Regardless of what kind of rider you are on the road, I suspect you'll learn a lot riding either bike on the track.  Lastly (and maybe counter to what I said above), if you're a decent rider and take to the track with some common sense, your chances of tossing the Bandit down the track are hardly more than they are on a spirited weekend ride.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »
One thing about the EX500, you'd probably learn more/faster on it as you'd have to improve your technique to go fast instead of just twist the grip.

+1 with Paul or an 03 to 05 600: GSXR, ZX6, R6 or CBR. All are fast enough, yet require you to delvelope your skill to go fast and all make excellent track bikes. 

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:23:51 PM »
am going to look at the ex500 tomorrow. I agree with the newer 600 but thats financially not an option right now. The ex500 is in that great price range where a couple set of bandit tires will pay for it. If after track school i decide to race I'll look at my options then. I think I could go on almost anything and I would learn a lot and have some fun.
Pitter-while I don't think i'll dump the bandit on the track my other half is concerned about loosing his riding partner for the summer.   :roll:
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
One thing about the EX500, you'd probably learn more/faster on it as you'd have to improve your technique to go fast instead of just twist the grip
  Hey , I'm back! and with high speed finally!
  Not that you couldn't get alot out of a track school on your Bandit, but the EX500 is a exellent bike to do track days/schools on. As far as fitting into a class, you won't need to worry about that unless you are racing. And in a racing venue,there are plenty of EX500s in the light wt. classes. Most race schools/clubs recomed starting out on a lt.wt. You learn to rely on corner speed, its cheaper (tires) and its alot of fun.  Dan

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »
well went to see it. Drove it up the street and did a few circles at the end. Runs good, tires are good but the front end is SUPER SPONGY! It will need some heavier fluid and spacers at the very least but most likely some new springs. Made him an offer considering the front end issues and now will wait and see...
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:37 AM »
  You would want to be able to set your sag front and back. Make sure the shock isn't sponggy too. Also check steering head bearings,chain and sprockets. All the used bike check list stuff.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
Well he dropped it of this morning  :grin:, now we have bike number three awaiting some work  :motorsmile:.
Like I said everything on it other than the forks seem fine, at least fine enough for my purposes. Will wait and see how the track school goes and then decide on further modifications or selling it and getting something else.

'03 R6 trackbike