Author Topic: track bikes...kind of like crack pipes... (track school report)  (Read 3045 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
So I went to my first track school last weekend  :yikes: what have I been missing!!!!!!
I mean it, if you have a bike, and love riding it then try to get yourselves out to a track day or school! It's totally worth it. I haven't had that much fun in years! Well MAYBE doing loops and hammerheads in a airplane but other than that NADA.
I love my bandit, I really do but I may just have to sell the old beast and get a little 600.
First of all I didn't take the bandit, and while I missed it I'm glad I didn't. I had bought an old EX500 for just this purpose, according to the people on the ex500 forum these little bikes blow up as soon as you redline them... I didn't have a working tach (broke first lap) and only got my vaypor overnight in time to see that I was redlining it...and then some every lap. It has non stock gearing and I'm guessing someone drastically underestimated the old clunker because while it would have been set up for the local track I was hitting redline for half the back straight everylap. (which is where some of the boys on their shiny 600 with their ohlins dampers, elke shocks and akropovic exhausts would pass :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:). The ex was a great learning tool though, take the wrong line, loose momentum and it would punish me mercilessly. As I had no chance to pass anyone on the straight (the only other pre 2000 bike in my group was a 750 ninja everyone else was fuel injected at least 600) I had to work hard in the turns and try to get the lines just right.
I'm glad to say the little 500 surprised a few people, including myself I've never pulled rubber off a BT45 before.
It took me some time to hit my stride as the Bandit has made me unbelievably lazy, I just roll on the throttle no shifting nothing the power is just there. On the ex thats NOT the case, the power is there but you need to plan for it work for it, and most of all make due with what you have.
For the next track day I'm changing the gearing, getting some HH pads on to help out that single front disk... but really what I SHOULD do is exercise so I don't get sore legs from standing on the pegs all day and lose 10lbs  :grin:
few more track days and who knows maybe I'll try a race or two in the sportsman class... but man I'm dreaming of a track bike with more than 50hp.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline gearjammer

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: track bikes...kind of like crack pipes... (track school report)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 01:40:19 AM »
I;ve done about 4 track days and learnt so much its unbelievable! Ofcourse there's nothing like your own bike on track, but that 500 must have been fun railing. I ran my Bandit all stock at Grattan last year, and she held up pretty good. Even gave the control rider something to think about... My only gripes were: Stock gearing sucked, along with the lack of a steering damper! I have the widest renthal on my B12 so that didnt help either.

I should post some of the pics soon.
Transforming into a streetfighter.... Slowly

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »
 Ya gearing is a big part of it, and steering dampers! The ex500 doesn't have the power to shake it's head, but at the bumpy local track the entry in to the back straight would induce a shake and wiggle that was only passable if I stood on the pegs and just let the bike do it's thing till it evened out a bit again. Even the new factory sponsored bikes go all out of shape there, and visibly so but I think a steering damper would help some. The thoughts on the ex500 forum is that a damper hurts more than it helps (its a strange forum they also say that a dynojet kit and pods loose HP etc.) I have one here and a clamp I could make work so maybe I'll throw one on for a few laps and see how I like it.
Any input on suspension setting would be appreciated. I have the my old Bandit 1200 rear shock on the ex with the stock ex spring and while it works, I want to do some fine tuning. My other half wants to make a spacer as the 'perfect' setting seems to be right in the middle of click 2 and 3... on three its a bit stiff, and on 2 it's just vague.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »
Ugh...  I'm missing the track. 

First - there are A LOT of B12s running track days and doing well.  Summit Point in WV seems to be a particular magnet for them.  I'm sure the 500 is a lot of fun out there too.  I know I had a blast on the B4.  I wouldn't discount the fun to be had with the big B at the track, though. 

On the damper - there's a section on one of my favorite tracks that has a little bit of washboard to it.  I was lucky enough to do a track walk there with one of the group's fastest, most experienced coaches.  Someone complained about the bumps.  He said to NOT fight the bike, accelerate through them and let the suspension do it's job.  The track walk was invaluable and that was a huge piece advice to help me go faster 'round the track. 

Great post, Miriam.  Can I live on the track vicariously through you????
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
  Glad you got that EX out there,it defitatly is fun and you learn alot at the same time. I got out to Nelson Ledges May 30th,I run in the expert practice. I used to take my 98 B12, but I've been taking my  03 SV1000 instead now. I started going in 2000, there is just no comparison to riding on the track. Its the best place to improve your skills. I had different gearing for the Bandit,a couple of different shocks,extra rims,all saftey wired, rear sets,sterring damper,(free daytona damper). I even tried a 30 min. mini endurance race. I can hardly wait till my next cance to get out there again. I have some bills to take care of 1st though.
  I changed the gearing on the SV too. And went to a 520 chain and sprockets. Once you get geared right,the EX is a good track tool to learn on. You have to rely more on keeping your corner speed up, good drive out of the turns,rather than relying on horespower.  Have fun  :clap:   Dan

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:50:03 AM »
Someone complained about the bumps.  He said to NOT fight the bike, accelerate through them and let the suspension do it's job. 
A LOT of the local track is bumpy and on our track walk one of the experienced guys said just that. And I've found he's right, especially if I put all my weight on the pegs and hold my arms loose. The tricky part is that one of the worst sections (at least for me and the ex) leads in to turn 6, as my speed through 4 and 5 increases as it will with time (in the apex of 5 i'm on full throttle with two quick upshifts once the bike is upright) I think a damper may help the bike settle down a bit easier so I can cruise through 6. On the ex I won't have to stop accelerating in order to make turn 6 for quite some time yet, but it's nice to be all settled prior to turning.
The MAIN reason for not running the B12 at the track was that I wouldn't drop it and have no bike to ride for the summer, the reason for not entering it in races is that quite frankly it fits in nothing but the unlimited class.... however wouldn't I just love an old bandit to enter in sportsman2.
  EX is a good track tool to learn on.
I totally agree. Its been a blast and I plan to take it to a few more days at the very least. Best words I her all weekend was the instructors telling me 'you're riding the shit out of that little bike' and people commenting on how well it ran (which is a dual compliment to me and my bf as we both spent some time getting it running right)
In my mind the 19th can't come soon enough, in the meantime we're working some more tweaks to the ex.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:56:24 AM »
  The "Big Bandit" will tire you out more on the track. Its more weight to through around. And with the extra weight and power,its more expensive too.It will eat up a set of race tires quicker. I did get alot of compliments when I took the Bandit however.The sound of the Holeshot comp can would sing pretty good down the track. And riders would look me up in the padock just to see what it was.(The only place it shows its a Bandit is my fork brace) One guy at Mid Oh Vintage days asked me what kind of bike is a NRC. It has NRC case covers on it.
   Nelson Ledges is anything but smooth too. But it does have good traction.Turn 4-5 is a 4th gear carosel that has some rough spots where your rolling on.Just have to ride through it,stay light on the bars,not on the pegs because your already hanging off.
    :beers: Dan

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »
I had a 90 EX500 for a long time and although I never got it on the track, it was a GREAT bike. I beat the living daylights out of it and pegged that tach more than I can remember. It ran strong when I sold it minus a FUBAR second gear.

Glad you had fun.  :thumb:
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline gearjammer

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:07:28 PM »
Thats exactly what I've been taught too about bumps on the apex. Just open throttle and let the suspension handle it. If it doesnt, best of luck!.Haha. I've heard a lot about summit point. Does it have a lot of elevation changes?
Transforming into a streetfighter.... Slowly