Author Topic: Trail Tech Vapor Speedo/Tach  (Read 11765 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Trail Tech Vapor Speedo/Tach
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »
While mocking this years version of a headlight/instrument mount... I got once again frustrated with the size of the stock instruments. Has anyones used these- http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_vapor_kits.html

I found some pics earlier of them mounted on some ducs and SV's didn't look bad at all. It seems cheap, and the old adage that you get what you pay for...
I was going to run a small 'fairing' just to cover up the plastic weld holding whats left of my instruments together but that forces me to move my dual lights out too far from the fork for my liking...

Opinions/ideas?
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Trail Tech Vapor Speedo/Tach
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
I know nothing about that one...  it could just be me but it seems a little shady to call it the "Vapor" when one of the well-known names in that market is "Veypor".  It kinda reminds me of those web pages that capitalize on common misspellings of popular brands...  Like I said, that could just be my paranoia.... 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
This Veypor look good, any other brands of replacement speedo/tachs you guys can think of?
The name may be a rip off...but they are listed in the tucker rocky catalog, so clearly Trail Tech Vapor does exist.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

http://www.xpostreetfighter.com/detail.aspx?ID=33

That looks cool!

Really if you just want a speedo, you can use a bicycle computer. 

Like I said, I don't know a thing about the Vapor.  I just thought it was weird that the name was so close to Veypor, which I think is the best known name. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 11:23:38 PM »
I do like that a lot of these come with an oil temp gauge...I know i don't 'need' one, but I'm paranoid like that. In a perfect world one of them would come with stock plug ins, to be totally plug and play. Fat chance of that.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 12:10:52 AM »
I do like that a lot of these come with an oil temp gauge...I know i don't 'need' one, but I'm paranoid like that. In a perfect world one of them would come with stock plug ins, to be totally plug and play. Fat chance of that.

No chance of a plug and play unit but it may be worth the struggle I've been considering doing a street fighter and was checking out your bike for ideas.

I was considering an Acerbis Cyclops but the gauges are going to become an issue, I recently ran into this problem with my KLR and hade to make up a set of brackets to so it would clear the gauges!

02 1200 Fighter

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 12:00:08 PM »
Wonder if the Streetfighter gives accurate speed readings. Cause the stock Bandit doesn't.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »
Wonder if the Streetfighter gives accurate speed readings. Cause the stock Bandit doesn't.

I know my stock set up is better with the addition of a speedo healer I went from a 15/45 to a 14/47 so I had to fix the speedo. I compared the readings with a GPS pretty damn close!
02 1200 Fighter

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »
Ordered the Trail Tech Vapor kit today and I'm still waiting for my new Acerbis Cyclopis to start the street fighter project!

Spotted AtlBanditMan's thread and decided to go with this!!
02 1200 Fighter

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 01:30:06 AM »
Curious, does anyone know of any place that sells after market analog dials? I'm not a fan of LCD dials, and if I wind up with a newer machine with one, I'd love the option to dump 'em for some analogs.

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »
Curious, does anyone know of any place that sells after market analog dials? I'm not a fan of LCD dials, and if I wind up with a newer machine with one, I'd love the option to dump 'em for some analogs.

I've done some searching and have not found any thing yet!! :sad:
02 1200 Fighter

Offline AtlBanditMan

• Board Regular!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »
I have the Vapor on my bike. I like it. The only think about it that I don't like is that it does not have a gas gauge. But other then that It's great. Take a look at it, tell me what you think?

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:47:44 AM »
that looks good, how is the feel of it...does it feel like a quality item? Yours gets some protection from the elements as my bike is naked it would face the full brunt of...well everything (there are some HUGE bugs out there  :grin:)
'03 R6 trackbike