Author Topic: Turncoat  (Read 4364 times)

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
Turncoat
« on: April 10, 2005, 09:13:47 AM »
I bought an SV650S yesterday, 2000, for 2500 euros, what a steal, put 170 miles up on it driving it home and horsing around, and scrubbing in the new back tyre.
All in all its a nice bike, loads of torque, and the high level stainless ART can on it is loud, really loud. which is nice cos everyone gets out of your way, and you get loads of attention on the street.
But its really too loud, drive my neighbours insane loud, and the V engone feels a bit agricultural after the inline4 on the bandit and my mates shiney new cb400 superfour, so I think i'll spend a few bob smartening up the SV and look for a trade for a similar vintage bandit 600 once my insurance is up for renewal in 2 months.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Turncoat
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:20:56 AM »
Nicely done Echo!   :banana:  :congrats:   That v-twin sound is worth the price of admission, IMHO.  

I actually rode my buddy's SV track bike for a few miles yesterday.  :toocool:   Way fun TORQUE!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
Turncoat
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:47:36 AM »
I was actually at the dealer yesterday admiring the sv1000, I belive if a bandit isn't my next bike it will be an sv. :motorsmile:

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
Turncoat
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »
I really like the looks of the SV1000 and the Multistrada. For some reason I can't get past the sound of the twin cylinder engine. I just don't like it. I think it sounds like my boat motor. If not for that(and the price) I would have probably bought a Ducati by now.

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Turncoat
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »
For some reason I can't get past the sound of the twin cylinder engine. I just don't like it. I think it sounds like my boat motor.

I don't know what cans you've heard on v twin sport bikes, but I never heard one sound like a boat. It usually sounds like all hell is breaking loose IMHO!! :lol:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline Jamesobrady

• Board Regular!
vtwin
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 01:57:03 PM »
Yeah i agree to a point.....if you let the revs drop it gets very tractor-y compared to an inline 4.....i remember the first time i rode my mates africa twin....i thought i was on a ride-on lawnmower.

Open it up though and its a different monster altogether....lovely scream and... just.... that torque!

You'll never get that nice kind of low burble sound that blades and the like make.....but give it a few hundred more miles and some nice corners and you'll find it hard to get rid of.

Never ridden a  B6 yet.... maybe someone here who has ridden both could give impressions?

Also fwit you can pick up an original sv exhaust system fairly cheaply...you know- the usual spots...ebay and sv650.org

Coming biking this wend?

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
Turncoat
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »
Quote from: "BBurton"
For some reason I can't get past the sound of the twin cylinder engine. I just don't like it. I think it sounds like my boat motor.

I don't know what cans you've heard on v twin sport bikes, but I never heard one sound like a boat. It usually sounds like all hell is breaking loose IMHO!! :lol:

Indeed, the lads said you can feel the pulses from the exhaust hitting you in the face when you ride directly behind me, its nice (for me) at high rpms, but in traffic you feel like some jerk on a harley with straight pipes, "BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM..POP.. BLAMBLAMBLAMpopopopBLAMBLAAAAAAAAAMBLAAAAAAAAAM" and so on

The 33bhp resrtriction is teasing me too, as i know how easy it is to remove it, at least that way i'd have the full power to match the volume.
Still, i'm not made of money, so it's with me till june at least, tough shit neighbours, maybe i'll give them complimentary sets of earplugs  :grin:
2000 SV650S

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
Turncoat
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 06:41:54 PM »
2000 SV650S

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
Turncoat