Author Topic: Using Dupont Teflon lube on new chain  (Read 2759 times)

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
Using Dupont Teflon lube on new chain
« on: August 03, 2006, 04:23:59 PM »
Hi all,

I have a new chain (DID). Got about 1000 miles on it now. I have been using the Dupont Teflon chain lube mentioned in several posts on it. My concern is that the chain never really seems to be lubed much. It just gets this waxie film on it. But it seems so dry that I want to keep spraying the whole can on the chain. I have lubed it about 4 times now and it just never seems lubed enough.

Anybody else out there using this stuff? I am concerned that by the time I find out if this stuff is not working my new chain will be toast.

Lucas :?:

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:51:34 AM »
I think that the honda chain lube with the red top is rated highest. Maybe you should try that.
BTW How did the chain install go, I remember you on here asking a lotta questions.
01 1200s

Offline zeebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
Lucas: I use the Honda chain lube, and it looks the same way. I have 9,000 miles on the chain and it's like new. I've never used the Dupont lube.
Free thinker and proud to be a member of a board that let's me be one.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 11:04:34 AM »
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
How did the chain install go?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
Quote from: tannerismyhero
I think that the honda chain lube with the red top is rated highest. Maybe you should try that.
BTW How did the chain install go, I remember you on here asking a lotta questions.

It went all right. thanks to the info I received here on the BBS and a couple of friends help. I had the Dremmel, a friend of mine had a chain breaker tool, and a nearby shop riveted the chain for 22.50 (I felt that was pretty reasonable).  I feel better about using the riveted link, but maybe next time I will use the screw type link.  :banana:

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »
Quote from: tannerismyhero
I think that the honda chain lube with the red top is rated highest.

Says who?

I used the Honda stuff on my chain for about 5K miles.  Personally, I don't like it.  It goes on just the same as the Teflon stuff mentioned above.  The chain looks dry after putting it on.  Because of that, I think I was using more than I should.  I'd apply it every couple hundred miles... not too long ago, I went on a 378 mile run.  I put it on just before I left.  About 2 miles of my ride (about midway on the trip) was in the rain.  After getting home, I put my bike up for a couple of days and rode it to work.  I noticed the chain was making more noise than usual.  I looked closely at the chain and it was rusting!  I've been using PJ1 Blue (or Black) for years without any problems like this.  Bottomline?  I don't think the Honda stuff protects the surfaces of the chain very well and it doesn't last.  I think it breaks down in the heat  Its really hard to tell if anything is even on there.  I went back to PJ1 Blue.  I think a wet chain is a happy chain.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »
I had an article once on chain lubes.  They used everything from PJ1 to WD40.  I believe that PJ1 blue had one of the highest ratings, if not the highest.  They had a few different areas that they used to score them.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 09:02:35 PM »
In the General M/C FAQ forum there is a lengthy list of chain lubes

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=309
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline mattt

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.thebikersdirectory.com
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 07:16:08 AM »
i use a heavy 80w gear oil and then spray castrol chain wax over the top
http://www.thebikersdirectory.com - The directory for motorcycle enthusiasts.

Offline silvershadow

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:40:38 AM »
I have been using the Honda Red can for the past 4 years and never have had any rusting.  I use it about every 300 miles and have been getting great wear on my chain.  From talking to the guys at my local shop this is what they all use and feel it does the job.  I also get very little buildup and a clean chain.
2003 Bandit1200S, Hole Shot can, Jet kit, Timing advancer, Braided lines.

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:46:16 AM »
I used Silkolean for +100hp applications when I could still get it...

90W gear oil works well and is cheap.  Heck, that stuff even works on dirt bikes in the mud.  The secret to chain life is frequent solvent cleaning (WD40 or kerosene) and lubing, it's really not necessary to go piling on tons of lube either (you're just gonna make a bigger mess).  More is not better, frequent is.  And if you lube a dirty chain, you're lubing the dirt too-get off your butt and wipe it down with wd40 before you lube.  And last but not least, Don't forget adjustment. A loose or tight chain will wear out quicker too, never over tighten thats the worse, use your manual specs for slack.

Someone mentioned a gear oil with wax on top.  BTW, that defeats the purpose of the wax (it never has a chaince to coat the rollers like its supposed to on a clean chain).  And never ride with fresh wax, let it dry first-talk about a mess.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 11:05:10 AM »
>>Anybody else out there using this stuff? I am concerned that by the time I find out if this stuff is not working my new chain will be toast.<<

Stop worrying. You're fine. When you're used to seeing a bunch of gook on your chain, the Dupont stuff looks frightingly inept, but it's not. I have about 2k on my new chain and it's fine.