Author Topic: Video--Lane Splitting in Japan  (Read 16142 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Video--Lane Splitting in Japan
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »
This guy (?) rides so aggressively and rudely, that I was really hoping someone would open a car door and wallop him in to next week (or the afterlife).  That was when I wasn't leaning back and forth and trying to hit the brake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MtXymQkjs&search=motorcycle
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:06:28 PM »
Lane splitting is always a bad idea.  Idiots doing it is even worse.

I know people who are hot to make this legal in Texas.  I hope not.  It's stupid and dangerous.

Watching that made me a nervous wreck.  :lol:

Offline Wooddog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:36:20 PM »
If you keep on Kicking a Dog he will eventually Bite you!  That Guy is an Idiot.  He is probably A Dead Idiot by now,  He want last very much longer.   Did everyone Notice how BAD that traffic was,  Alot of Big truck traffic.  Man I am glad I dont live in that city. I would definetly be Moving.
Wooddog- CMA
2002-BANDIT 1200s

Offline Wooddog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:36:55 PM »
Most of the Drivers around here weave all over the road, they are either Drunk or on there Cell phone.  Those drivers in the Video  sure stay centered up in their lane.  And I did not see any trash or Big truck tire remains on the road.  Something is not right.
Wooddog- CMA
2002-BANDIT 1200s

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »
I just gotta step in on the pro lane-splitting side here.  Sometimes you just got to do it.  Come live in SoCal for a while and try to commute.  If you don't split, you don't get to work.  I actually find it safer to split lanes than stay in line like a good cager.  Sure you run the risk of someone changing lanes on you but when traffic is slow enough to split safely the lane changes happen slowly enough so that you have plenty of warning if you are staying alert.  You also don't have to worry about some cager smacking you from behind because they are busy text messaging, while drinking their Starbucks and adjusting thier GPS.  As an added benefit you get to spend less time stuck behind some smog belching behemoth getting a case of black lung.

Admitedly homeboy was on it a bit hard, but those japanese drivers were nice and disciplined.  I'd be happy to split their lanes.

As far as I'm concerned, you ain't lived until you've split the car pool & #1 lanes of the 105 east bound out of LA at 5pm behind two CHP motor cops at 70MPH.  It makes your bannana want to dance. WOHOOO!!!
 :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Oh! By the way. If you lane split you also got to filter to the front at the lights.  Like my mama always said.  If you're in front of them and they can't catch you, they can't hit you.

LONG LIVE THE LANE SPLITTERS!!!  SPLIT LANES FOR ALL!!!
And sign your organ doner card damnit.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 05:08:10 AM »
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"
Lane splitting is always a bad idea.  Idiots doing it is even worse.

I know people who are hot to make this legal in Texas.  I hope not.  It's stupid and dangerous.

Watching that made me a nervous wreck.  :lol:

For pete's sake, don't let the Aussie Government hear you say that, they're already trying to make it illegal, while motorists, cops included, try to run us down while they make phone calls on the mobile (cell phone).

Long live lane splitting...just do it sensibly...
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 07:03:37 AM »
Quote from: "banditoverde"

LONG LIVE THE LANE SPLITTERS!!!  SPLIT LANES FOR ALL!!!
And sign your organ doner card damnit.

Amen
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline Arkan Eller

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »
I'm struggling to see what all the fuss is about. Sure, he's riding assertively, maybe aggressively at times and yes, if he carries on at those speeds he's not going to last too long, but really, I see this every day. The only thing he's got to look out for are people switching lanes or someone pulling out on him. Other than that, it's a regular commute into a city for most people.

You gotta chill. Lane splitting is half the reason for owning a bike?!?!? The other is the speed. Put the two together and there you go....

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 08:55:07 AM »
I gotta say, if people did this on the roads I cage-commute every day, I would have killed a motorcyclist by now.  I have NO patience for the morons that cause all the backups (It's gonna stack up 4000 people behind me but I'm going to let out these two people waiting on the ramp anyway  :duh: ).  After years of driving the same roads at the same time every day, I know which lane moves more quickly where and I get there.  Period.  My only concern is to minimize the chance that I'm gonna trade paint with someone.  I guess it would be different if it were legal and common here but I'm not looking down the dotted line for someone going 3, 4, 5x as fast as me.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 09:16:10 AM »
Me, neither.  Always a bad idea.  But the rest of you, well, go for it!  But if you scratch my car or knock off my mirror and I get your license number or manage to catch you ...

You're roadkill.

:thanks:

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
Lane Splitting
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 09:20:59 AM »
That guy has ice for blood, WOW.

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 09:28:07 AM »
I'd do it if it were legal here.The I10 in Baton Rouge was rated one of the worst commutes in the US. I think we were #8 or there abouts. Now if I lived were ever that video was shot I would leave...and leave now. I thought my traffic was a headache.
  I'm all for lane splitting done at a reasonable rate of speed. He was a bit excessive for my taste.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 10:18:11 AM »
Quote from: "Arkan Eller"
I'm struggling to see what all the fuss is about.

My "fuss" is that this idiot drove in a manner which is unacceptable.  He went between vehicles at a fast speed, which I'm sure had some of them thinking he was going to hit their cars.  Worse, he constantly cut off other drivers, which surely made them hit their brakes.  The only way society works is if we all play by the same rules and treat each other with respect.  If your attitude is "F.U., I can do what I want because I am on a motorcycle", then you deserve to be treated the same way by others.

I am not against lane splitting in slow-moving traffic, but darting in and out of lanes by a car or bike makes me wish nothing but ill for the person doing it.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Arkan Eller

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »
Quote from: "Sven"
Quote from: "Arkan Eller"
I'm struggling to see what all the fuss is about.

My "fuss" is that this idiot drove in a manner which is unacceptable.  He went between vehicles at a fast speed, which I'm sure had some of them thinking he was going to hit their cars.  Worse, he constantly cut off other drivers, which surely made them hit their brakes.  The only way society works is if we all play by the same rules and treat each other with respect.  If your attitude is "F.U., I can do what I want because I am on a motorcycle", then you deserve to be treated the same way by others.

I am not against lane splitting in slow-moving traffic, but darting in and out of lanes by a car or bike makes me wish nothing but ill for the person doing it.

I understand what you're saying, but I think depending on where you come from, this will be seen as either outrageous or normal. I have to commute into London regularly and this is taken as the norm. People drive cages like morons and people ride bikes like the guy in the video.

Maybe if you live in the middle of the sticks and don't have many cars or bikes around then this will seem like bad driving and I can fully understand how it must look bad. I've already agreed that he's driving quite aggressively at times but I saw a couple of trucks in the video that weren't exactly displaying A1 driving either (though to be fair they weren't in view long enough to make a proper judgement).

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 12:13:27 PM »
I'm all for reasonable lane splitting and filtering to the front of traffic lights. That said, the guy in the video wasn't always reasonable... especially anytime the speedo was over ~50 kph - which was most of the time. It was amazing how the trucks outnumbers cars by so much. I guess that's a Japanese thing, since you can't own a car there unless you can show proof you have somewhere to park it.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)