Author Topic: Wear your gear, or dumba$$ of year...  (Read 8471 times)

Offline dgm0967

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
Wear your gear, or dumba$$ of year...
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 11:57:34 PM »
I guess it all depends on how much you're willing to risk.
I think that is where it's at. Some won't even ride because of the risk. I'd add that good textile gear can be very comfortable. For long rides I've found my Firstgear pants to more comfortable than jeans. I hate the dry skin so I always wear my summer jacket and gloves in warm weather. A helmet keeps big bugs from stinging my face or going down my throat while I'm doing a personal karaoke. In colder weather I put the liner in my pants and use a jacket that helps to keep me warm. My point is, wear what you are comfortable with and you may find modern gear more comfortable than shorts and a t-shirt.
1999 Bandit S1200 BLACK

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 01:20:17 PM »
Quote from: "dgm0967"
I guess it all depends on how much you're willing to risk.
I think that is where it's at. Some won't even ride because of the risk.

I agree-  I just got back from my Sunday morning ride.  I ride in the mornings so I am comfortable riding with my Jacket.  Morning here are 75-80*,  cool enough that at speed the jacket is nice.  Then once I start getting hot I head back for home.  But on Friday I went to my dealer(80 miles away) for my initial check up. the ride over was OK but the ride back the jacket had to go.  I bought a bungee net just to strap down the jacket fo the ride home.  Yes I ride with was I consider bare minimums- as I am sure everyone here does too.

Bottom line- the guy in the video is a moron.
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 01:59:02 AM »
>>I bought a bungee net just to strap down the jacket fo the ride home. Yes I ride with was I consider bare minimums..Bottom line- the guy in the video is a moron.<<

What all of you who ride in t-shirts and jeans fail to see (or are in denial of) is that the "protection" you are riding with is no different than that of the guy in that video. You have no more real-world protection than he did. Really.

I don't care how hot it is, I ride ATGATT. Not just a jacket, either. Pants, boots and gloves too. It's not going to guarantee I walk away from a crash, and I never kid myself about any false security from it, but it will definitely improve my odds of being (relatively) in one piece.

Hey, it's your call, but remember that you are just as naked as that guy in that video was every time you ride out in t-shirts and jeans.

Offline elbandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 03:02:28 AM »
I think the real issue here is insurance.  Let's face it.  None of us wants to see anyone get hurt, and so the argument is the "it only affects me, thus is my decision to make" one we hear so often.  I'd be ok with that if it were only true.  Motorcycle insurance costs a fortune.  Why?  Because our bikes cost so much to replace?  No (at least not us Bandit owners!!  :bandit:  ), surely it is because of the medical costs associated with injuries sustained in a crash (or death, as the case may be).  

So, I propose that we allow people to go with absolutely no gear on.  But if they do, the insurance shouldn't pay a penny.  Have it written in the policy.  That way, an individual's decision to wear no gear really does only affect them (and their families should they be injured to the point they can't work or are hospitalized and must pay medical bills beyond their insurance, etc.).  

I bet those of us that wear gear will see our rates go down!

:bigok:
Eric
2002 Bandit 600S
Zero Gravity double-bubble, EXL luggage, not much more!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 03:22:33 AM »
Ever notice how many ex- and non-smokers seem to have this superior, holier-than-thou attitude towards smokers?

With all their whining and protesting, they've managed to drive smokers out on the streets and make them feel like outcasts. But even that isn't good enough for them... now they want to outlaw tobacco altogether, and have nicotine tests at work that will have you fired if you don't pass. Next thing you know, they'll be putting people in jail for smoking. All in the righteous name of what they think is best for everybody.

Remind you of anything?  :roll:

I think I'll go for a ride to the lake in my T-shirt... and maybe I'll even light up a cigarette while I'm there.

Just because I can.  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline elbandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the smoking lynch mob either.  Like I said, people should be able to do whatever they want -- as long as it doesn't affect me.  If someone's smoke is bugging me, I go somewhere else (I don't ask them to leave... they have just as much of a right to be there as me).  If someone not wearing gear is driving up my insurance rates, I can't go anywhere else...

Don't want to wear gear?  Great!  Just sign a waiver so your insurance doesn't pay a penny.  Save the rest of us some dough!   :bigok:
Eric
2002 Bandit 600S

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 11:00:34 AM »
Quote from: "elbandito"
I'm not a big fan of the smoking lynch mob either.  Like I said, people should be able to do whatever they want -- as long as it doesn't affect me.  If someone's smoke is bugging me, I go somewhere else (I don't ask them to leave... they have just as much of a right to be there as me).  If someone not wearing gear is driving up my insurance rates, I can't go anywhere else...

Don't want to wear gear?  Great!  Just sign a waiver so your insurance doesn't pay a penny.  Save the rest of us some dough!   :bigok:

See, that's the big hole in your argument. If anything, I've helped to bring the cost of your insurance down.

In all my 40 years riding on the street, I've only been in ONE accident that was serious enough to involve insurance... it was 20 years ago and it was the other guy's fault. His insurance paid for my bike and about 3 days lost from work for a bruised hip.

The only times I've been seriously hurt were on the track wearing full gear. On the street I always wear helmet, boots, gloves, and long pants and sleeves, by choice. If I choose not to gear up in a full armored suit when it's 98 degrees out than that's my business, and you know what you can do with your "waiver".  :bandit:

Not wearing full gear isn't what drives our insurance rates up, it's inexperience, recklessness, and just plain ignorance. Layers of hi-tech mesh armor gear aren't gonna save your stupid butt if you splat the ass-end of a semi at 140mph.

You wanna bring your insurance rates down? Start supporting more rider education classes, teaching defensive riding techniques, and raising cagers awareness of motorcycles... and quit worrying about what other people are wearing.  :roll:  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 11:29:27 AM »
[Not wearing full gear isn't what drives our insurance rates up, it's inexperience, recklessness, and just plain ignorance. Layers of hi-tech mesh armor gear aren't gonna save your stupid butt if you splat the ass-end of a semi at 140mph.]

I agree with this. In this day and age, sport-bikers have replace the old Harley rough-riders as the main source of problems in the motorcycle community. Just like that guy in the video, testosterone drives these guys to do stupid shit on public roads that are affecting us all. You're seeing all sorts of laws being passed or proposed that are going to put restrictions in our riding freedoms.

In all honesty, I could care less what happens to one of these guys when they splat. It purifies the gene pool, actually. It's when they take out innocent bystanders that I get pissed, and it's because of such circumstances why a lot of these restrictions are being foisted upon us.

Like I said, it's your call how you want to ride. My point is simply that riding with no protection is no different than how that guy in the video was riding.

[I've only been in ONE accident that was serious enough to involve insurance... and it was the other guy's fault.]

And THAT is the reason I ride ATGATT. You never know when that shit is gonna hit the fan.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 02:02:41 PM »
I choose to wear all the gear, but it is my choice.

I just purchased a mesh jacket as my leather jacket was just too hot at 35 C+, but I wasn't going to ride without something. It is NOT as good as all leather, but it at least has some padding and abrasion resistance in some of the right areas.

My choice is driven from my years of riding dirt bikes. Every time I got hurt, it was from my choice NOT to wear a specific piece of PPE. My personal experiences slowly led me to add proper gear to my routine. I have still hurt myself even with gear, but more often than not, I have gotten up from a small fall (even over the Salmo/Creston in the snow!) with some marks on the gear and maybe a bruise on the skin, but all the better for it.

Just like seat belts, hard hats, safety glasses, respirators, steel toed boots, etc. I feel they have their place. If you work for me, I DO get to set the rules and tell you that you MUST wear them, but I'd rather convince you to make the choice on your own.

On your own time, my responsibility is to ensure you understand that the right PPE may help you, should a bad incident happen. Yup, more training and experience is better still, but all I can do is recommend. Once you have the information, YOU get to make the choice.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 02:56:53 PM »
If someone not wearing gear is driving up my insurance rates, I can't go anywhere else...

Sure you can... you can move to WA where m/c's aren't required to have insurance.  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 03:27:24 PM »
Here in Quebec, registration for motorbikes is jumping over the next three years. Hardest hit will be sportbikes, which will see the cost of getting a plate leap to $1400.

The reason: the Ministry covers the costs of all injuries on the roads in Quebec, and is trying to recover those costs by targeting those who get injured the most in crashes.
The Ministry doesn't care about the cost of your vehicle (that's between you and your insurer), but they do care about your three casts and six months of physio...
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline elbandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

Not wearing full gear isn't what drives our insurance rates up, it's inexperience, recklessness, and just plain ignorance. Layers of hi-tech mesh armor gear aren't gonna save your stupid butt if you splat the ass-end of a semi at 140mph.

It's those inexperienced, reckless and ignorant riders NOT wearing gear that bring up the rates.  Sure, hitting a semi at 140mph is a death sentence whether you are wearing full leathers or your birthday suit.  But the majority of accidents aren't like that.

Quote from: "ZenMan"

You wanna bring your insurance rates down? Start supporting more rider education classes, teaching defensive riding techniques, and raising cagers awareness of motorcycles... and quit worrying about what other people are wearing.  :roll:  :motorsmile:

I do support rider education and encourage everyone I talk to that even shows an interest in riding to go to local courses.  Heck, I'm my unit's Motorcycle Mentor (fancy title for someone that makes sure people in the unit are doing what they are supposed to do when riding on/off base).  So I'm doing all that and will continue to worry about what others are wearing as long as it affects my insurance rates.   :bigok: Like I said, though, it's your skin, do what you want with it -- just don't expect me to pay for it!
Eric
2002 Bandit 600S

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
My point is simply that riding with no protection is no different than how that guy in the video was riding.

Sorry, but I can't agree. It's the reckless way the guy is riding that's dangerous, not what he's wearing (or not!).

To prove it to you, I could jump on my bike naked and safely ride down the road and back with no injury whatsoever... but do you really want to see that?  :lol:

So I'm doing all that and will continue to worry about what others are wearing as long as it affects my insurance rates.   :bigok: Like I said, though, it's your skin, do what you want with it -- just don't expect me to pay for it!

Elbandito, I really have to take exception to your attitude here. It's both elitist and over-simplified in my opinion, and it's unfair to try to lay the blame for your insurance rates directly on my shoulders.

Most of the squid idiots I see doing stupid tricks and getting squished are wearing fancy, colorful full leather or textile armored gear... part of their "road-race" image. Those are the ones you need to consider if your looking for somebody to blame for your high insurance premiums.

The point you seem to be missing is individual freedom... a priviledge we have in this country that some of us hold quite dear. Motorcycling has long been a way to express that freedom. If those who think like you have their way, and force everyone to wear expensive, uncomfortable gear, or forfiet our rights to medical coverage if we choose not to, then you might as well just outlaw motorcycles altogether.

Darn tootin' I'll dress the way I want to.... when I ride, drive a car, sail a boat, or take a walk... and if you want to wear a full set of football pads or a bullet-proof kevlar suit every time you go out the door, you go right ahead. Just don't use it to prop yourself up on a pillar of righteousness and put all the blame for your insurance rates on those that choose differently.  :annoy:

Now I'm done with this thread before there's any hard feelings, ok, bro? I hope you'll let me buy you a beer if we ever meet somewhere down the road...  :wink:

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 09:44:29 PM »
I'd agree with that zenman! I live in CT without a helmet law, I choose to not wear one at times. The fact is, without a helmet law here, my insurance premium for a B12 is a whopping $55 a YEAR. Insurance isn't covering the rider anyway, with the exception of the rare hit by an uninsured motorist, then it would kick in. So much for the theory unprotected squids are causing a bit of difference in MY rates.

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 12:10:12 AM »
When Louisianna was starting the helmet law- a local radio show I heard stated the FL done a survey of all the motorcycle fatalities in the state...where the Helmet had no impact on the survivability of a crash.  That the percentages were nearly the same in accident with a helmet or without.  I thought that was interesting.  I never researched it myself- since I never had a bike then...but alot of the guys I work with do- and they were pissed about them MAKING them wear helmets.  I feel like this...what good is a skull cap really gonna do?

I never said that my riding was the safest way to ride. it isn't full leathers is...but that is not realistic. Just like my analogy that if we all had a cage/5 point harness/ drivers suit for a car.  Simply I bought my bike to enjoy the feel of freedom and feel of the environment around me- if I can't feel that, I'd not want a bike at all.

Back to my point of the moron in the vid...I agree with Zen...I coulda make my ride this evening nude.  If I were a stunter however...full gear.  depends on yur own risk evaluation IMO.  If I knew I am headed out to be a hooligan..I would be geared up to the max.  The gear I normally ride with woulda been ok I think for a 20 mph spill like the moron in the video took.  hoo-rah to him...but that was d u m b.

Just to really aggrevate some...I wore short, t shirt and my crocs with a helmet today.  never got over 45 on my ride though..it was a calculated risk...I survived- and enjoyed it emmensely.
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!