Author Topic: Wear your gear, or dumba$$ of year...  (Read 8470 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Wear your gear, or dumba$$ of year...
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 12:10:19 AM »
To me, some of these comments are funny onthe matter of not wearing gear.  During the Summer, having the sun beat directly on you and to have wind burn on top of that is far more uncomfortable.  I actually stay cooler wearing mesh gear and leather gloves.  Staying covered is actually beneficial.  You don't have to have leathers, but basic coverage helps a lot.  What I think is stupid is how the USAF makes people wear reflective gear to a point where it is stupid.  It hasn't reduced the number of accidents and people still make the same  excuse.  "I didn't see him!"
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »
Quote from: "solman"
To me, some of these comments are funny onthe matter of not wearing gear.  During the Summer, having the sun beat directly on you and to have wind burn on top of that is far more uncomfortable.  I actually stay cooler wearing mesh gear and leather gloves.  Staying covered is actually beneficial.  You don't have to have leathers, but basic coverage helps a lot.  What I think is stupid is how the USAF makes people wear reflective gear to a point where it is stupid.  It hasn't reduced the number of accidents and people still make the same  excuse.  "I didn't see him!"

You also live in the desert- I see why you would.  I will buy a mesh type jacket soon- if I ever find a shop with stuff my size.  but until then I am gonna be a squid and enjoy my bike.  This evening here on the Gulf Coast was AWESOME!
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline elbandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 12:31:03 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

Elbandito, I really have to take exception to your attitude here. It's both elitist and over-simplified in my opinion, and it's unfair to try to lay the blame for your insurance rates directly on my shoulders.

Sorry wasn't my intent to put it on your shoulders.  Just speaking in "general terms."  

Just don't use it to prop yourself up on a pillar of righteousness <snip>

No pillars here... just expressing my opinion.  Not to mention at work it's part of my duty....  :bigok:

Now I'm done with this thread before there's any hard feelings, ok, bro? I hope you'll let me buy you a beer if we ever meet somewhere down the road...  :wink:

Absolutely, and the second round is on me!   :beers:
Eric
2002 Bandit 600S
Zero Gravity double-bubble, EXL luggage, not much more!

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »
I'm in with the crowd of mixed gear. If I'm riding to school (lower speeds, not far from home) I'll sometimes wear only my helmet and gloves. Most of the time I wear full gear riding to work since it's high speed highway riding (70mph). I know jeans won't do a damned thing for me, but it's that risk factor I do take at times. I wear my HT Air Overpants most of the time, but I honestly hate them. I know, I know...just find something that's more comfortable. I have a Cortech/Tour Master Breeze mesh jacket that I love. You might want to look into that, Lee. I'm a big guy too and it's roomy on my (XXL). It really does breathe well at speed. I've noticed I've been wearing full gear more since I've gotten my tail bag. It's a lot easier to haul around my shoes (when wearing my boots) and other misc items.

It is a person's choice. I for one will not ride anywhere without a least a helmet and gloves. Even if you're on the side that helmets don't really protect you in a crash, with the amount of shit I have ricochet off my helmet on a daily basis I can't imagine riding without one  :annoy:

Do I hate wearing full gear on 90+ degree days? Sure do. I agree, though, sweat washes off - road rash doesn't. If I'm going somewhere and I don't want to get all sweaty, then I'll just take the cage. On a 95 degree day my fat arse is going to be sweaty as hell regardless if I'm wearing gear or not  :lol:
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
Quote from: "leedogg"
I feel like this...what good is a skull cap really gonna do?

I agree! And according to the helmet brochure the Washington State Patrol puts out (click here for the .pdf brochure), you are MORE likely to die in a motorcycle accident if you are wearing a novelty, non-DOT approved helmet (which many skull caps are) than if you wore no helmet at all. (The WSP says this comes from a study by the Southern California Injury Research Prevention Center.)

I'd never choose a half-helmet, even of the DOT-approved variety. That's probably because I've slid down the road on the chin bar of a full-face helmet and ground thru 3 layers of fiberglass and can't begin to imagine how painful that would have been had it been my chin instead.

This graph helps reinforce that experience:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Interesting stat picture, Red. I'd been curious to find out where the majority of impacts are taken on a helmet.

When I did my little report on helmets last year I discovered in my reading that regardless of the speed you are going it's not as important as the height in which you fall. Whether you're doing 20mph or 60mph the impact force is about the same when it makes contact with the surface (assuming you fall from the same distance).

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
I think the implication is that the rest of the damage is secondary.  Yes, the helmet will protect you from the initial impact, but it also manages to take one for the team when you're sliding as well.  And you will slide further, all things being equal, with a faster impact.  

Years ago, through a comedy of errors, I was the pilot of a motorcycle and crashed while wearing a half helmet.  My jaw came into contact with a truck as I went down.  If I'd had a full helmet, I wouldn't have had a bruise from front to back on my jaw for the next week, and a bone chip missing out of my jaw today.   I don't think the helmet ever touched anything.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »
really cool info Red!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 12:47:11 AM »
How's this for a statement?

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2007, 12:25:38 PM »
OMG!!!!

That just cracked me up right dere!  Dude is laid back huh?

Offline elbandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 11:16:57 PM »
Is that an elbow pad?!?   :lol:
Eric
2002 Bandit 600S
Zero Gravity double-bubble, EXL luggage, not much more!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 11:45:03 PM »
Quote from: "elbandito"

Never really noticed bere, but it appears so!  I figured that the pic was spice up this thread.

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 08:39:27 AM »
Quote from: "elbandito"

Not to mention he looks like he's wearing weight lifting gloves. Maybe he just got done at the gym  :lol: At least they match his helmet and bike!

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2007, 02:43:59 PM »
Quote from: "orionburn"
Interesting stat picture, Red. I'd been curious to find out where the majority of impacts are taken on a helmet.

Didn't you guys learn this when you took lessons?
You smack your head in either the temple or the chin when you fall, whether it's from a bicycle, a horse, or a motorbike, because you just can't get your arms up fast enough.

It's the same thing for accidents -- you're more likely to be smacked between your house and the highway by some putz making a left hand turn. Going fast just isn't that dangerous, unless you're speeding your way into a curve.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2007, 03:13:59 PM »
Quote from: "Barbarian"
Didn't you guys learn this when you took lessons?

They talked about it, but I hadn't seen an actual breakdown to the percentage like the pic Red posted.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S