Author Topic: Bandit 650 opinions???  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Gekigen

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Bandit 650 opinions???
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:46:14 AM »
Hi there  :grin:
Im not exactly new to the board, been lurking around and reading all the usefull posts - really helped me alot!! - Tnx guys!!! On to my Q -->

So? What are your opinions of the "new" bandit 650? It looks great to me, but after reading a few reviews (not that i trust any review about any bandit, they never seem to realise the versatility and "all-rounder-ness" of the bandit range) - it almost seems to sound like the old 600 was better? I ride a B4 so I really dont know - but I`d love to hear your opinions! Reason I am asking is because here in South Africa they never sold the B6`s and grey imports are slim to none, but noOOW - the B650 is available!! So?
Cheers!  :bandit:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit 650 opinions???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:52:30 AM »
I haven't seen any press reviews of the new water-cooled 650 Bandit yet. In facct, I can't recall seeing any write-ups on the old 650, either. But then neither of those were ever offered here in the US, so our press wouldn't write anything about them.

Hopefully some UK, Aussie or NZ folks can help you out here.  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 650 opinions???
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »
I beleive Cycle Canada did a review on the Air/Oil Cooled B6.5 in 2005 as a head to head against the Kawasaki Z750S.

They seemed to like them both for different reasons. For roll on performance, seating comfort, general usability the 650 Bandit had the edge, but the Z750 was deemed sportier, faster, etc.

I haven't seen a test on the new W/C 650 yet.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Raphy

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 650 opinions???
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:45:05 PM »
I just purchased a 2005 B650... but i have never owned a Bandit or and inline 4 before, so i don't have much to compare to. Coming off a 36HP cow-of-a-cruiser, the Bandit was the right choice for me. I bought it with only 700km on the tripmeter put on it in 2 years... so it sat for te most part in a garage... Just did na oil change, planning to put some Seafoam in case the carbs are alittle dirty (it does have a funny idle for the 1st 5 minutes, but it might be becasue they are cold blooded bikes...)

So far what I've noticed...

- power is there, in any gear, the bike pulls nicely!
- it buzzes like any bandit, so i have to get used to that
- finally some Givi stuff is available here in Canada, so i just installed a monorack
- only put on 500 km since i bought it a few weeks ago, so i can't say much yet.. lol

not much here, but if i notice something in the near future i'll keep ya undated.

2005 Suzuki Bandit 650 S
2000 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (the ex)

Offline atg67

• New user!
Bandit 650 opinions???
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 02:42:44 PM »
Like Raphy, I too own a 2005 650s. I purchased mine brand new in 2006. I was on a CBR600 that a stupid little girl ran over with her car while the bike was parked. Once the insurance was all done I ended up with the 650s.

Last year I was not so much of a fan. Coming off the CBR might have had something to do with my not so happy feelings.

After we had spent the winter away from each other we tried again this spring. The time away from each other worked wonders for our relationship. I now can say I love this bike, I am having a blast on it!

The power is good enough so that every rule about speed limits are broken. The feeling I have when I riding is 'this bike can do anything'!. Love to hit the corners fast, is good go. Love to cruise for hours at a time, is good once I had the seat modified. The dirt road to the cottage, blast down it like I was on a dual sport. No matter what I am doing this bike is pretty much the right bike for me.

Complaints?
1. Seat. Called mine the Ass Bandit ... I spent $$ to have it 'fixed' before I needed 'fixing'
2. Too Quiet. The look of shock from drivers when I go past is not due to my speed but that they never heard me coming ... I spent $$ on a Hindle can to help with this; it arrives next week
3. mmm can't think of a #3; did I mention the seat?

ATG

review here:    onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=364&Itemid=126

Offline Caper#5

• TURBO TYPER!
Bandit 650 opinions???
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 11:49:01 PM »
I also have the 05 bandit 650 S. It's my first bike so I really have nothing to compare it too, but my brother, who is fresh off a VFR and seriously looking at the Bandit 1250, had it for a drive last month and liked the ergos but found it a little buzzy at highway speeds. But I think he expected that being a 650. That being said it does everything I want it to do and with the givi accessories I just picked up, I'm ready for a trip.

As atg67 said the seat is a problem for me on longer trips, not sure if it was the fact I was wearing jeans with a wallet in my back pocket or not, but I'll test this theory this year as I've bought new riding pants. Also on longer trips, my hands tend to fall asleep. Easy enough to shake off my left hand, but next to impossible to shake off my right. I think a throttle lock will fix this, maybe some heavier bar ends.

Hope this helps
2005 GSF 650S

Offline Bossk

• Board Regular!
Bandit 650 opinions???
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 01:58:23 AM »
I agree with Caper on the hands, I don't know if it's me, and cause I'm relatively new to riding, but I've loosened my grip and especially my right hand likes to doze off.  I'm thinking of a throttle lock too so I can flex it a bit.

I've got a 07 650, and the seat is no better then the 05's.  It's fine when just booting around the city.  But anything with distance and my arse starts getting sore.  A 3 hour ride is currently excruciating.  For the mean time I'm going to get a Pro Pad I think, an friend on a Maruarder picked one up no more pain in the ass :d

Other then that, the hand thing doesn't really bother me at all.  The seat does, I love my bike.  This is my first bike, and I'm probably going to have it for a very long time.  I'm still breaking it in, only 1200km, but I was able to finally get out on the QEW on the weekend, and the throttle response was snappy as all hell.

Passing anything was no problem at all.  As for ATG's quiet factor, I agree, with my face shield down I barely hear the thing.
-Jon

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
Bandit 650 opinions???
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 10:24:15 AM »
I've got funny ears or my Shoei helmet must be noisier than I thought, because the only way I don't hear the engine and the wind is if I've got earplugs in.

I'm damn happy with my 2006 B6. Fuel efficiency and performance has increased after the 1000k checkup  :bigok: (Turns out the valves weren't open enough)

There is a bit of a buzz around 7k rpm, but nothing terribly bad so far. Same for the seat.

Of course, I'm mostly a commuter  -- the longest single stretch ride I've done is a 90 minute ride along the lake shore.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS