Author Topic: Wheelie Ability  (Read 14723 times)

Offline ricklee4570

• Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« on: June 11, 2007, 05:27:15 AM »
I have read tons of stuff on the Bandits abiltiy to effortlessly wheelie. I went through all the archives in the magazines where they at the time declared it the "Wheelie King".  In one Motorcyclist magazine test they went so far as to say that the bandit is capable of hitting a wheelie in "any gear" with just a twist of the wrist.

I have a 1997 Bandit. Stock, but in excellent condition. Great power and super fun to ride. However, it is no "Wheelie King" as they put it. If I run it up to between 4000 and 6000 rpm in first gear and then roll the throttle, yes, the front wheel comes off the ground but does not stay there after I shift to 2nd.  And in no way will it wheelie in any gear like they proclaim.

Of course if I sit back, in an upright position, butt way back in the seat, and use the clutch in a very judicious manner, 1st and 2nd gear wheelies are possible. Just not like all the stories I read.

My question is this, is my bike a rare underpowered, under torqued model, or are the magazine writers really good at exageration?

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:07:16 AM »
Maybe yopu have a 6 and they are talking about the 12?

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 07:29:46 AM »
Mine B12 is a 98,full HS exhaust,cams,advancer and stage II jetting. No cluch needed,and I could sit on the tank if I wanted to. Just get in the power range and  a smooth but quick twist, and high ho and away.I'll hit 2nd and let 'er power down rather than go for a long one wheel ride.  I try to resist the temptation most of the time,you get a little wheel spin wich shortens tire life. And don't want to bring 'er down hard,not good for fork seals. But sometimes,out of nowhere,I just can't resist.    Dan

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »
I know where you're coming from, Rick. I did some research before buying my B12 and saw all the same articles about the torque they have and the ease of pulling wheelies. I try not to be too squidly so I never attempt it with traffic around. I admit I've done some playing and it feels like it wants to come up fairly easy, but for me it's only in 1st or 2nd gear. That's probably due to not getting the RPMs up high enough in 3rd+ gear.

I've had the handlebar "wobble" where you can tell it's up off the ground, but not for long. Like smooth said I don't like taking the chance of being hard on the front wheel or suspension. Don't feel like seeing an early 4th of July of fork components skyrocketing into the air because of my fat arse  :lol:
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline ricklee4570

• Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:56:14 AM »
I agree that a stock 1200 in first in the proper rpm range will come up with a quick twist of the wrist. But the magazines make it seem like in any gear at any speed just go full throttle and bring her up!  I cant do that with mine. I cant get mine to come up in 2nd at any rpm unless I get it up in 1st and ride it out in 2nd, but she comes down pretty quick in 2nd.

I read articles that stated that in 3rd it is easy to pop up the front end no clutch needed. Sounds like exageration to me. The way the bandit is geared if you were in the upper rpm range in 3rd, you would be going too fast in my opinion to get the front up.

Of course using the clutch is a different story. And of course there have been times where I have floated the front up when hitting a bump under full throttle.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »
Could be technique related, too. I'm not a good wheelie man myself, but those who are don't have any troubles getting a B12 to wheelie anytime they want.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Could be technique related, too. I'm not a good wheelie man myself, but those who are don't have any troubles getting a B12 to wheelie anytime they want.

I'm sure that's 99.9% of my problem. I'm always afraid I'm going to do something to burn up the clutch. I admit I want to be able to do a wheelie once just so I can say I did it. I hate squids, but the difference of course is being on an empty road as opposed to trying it in city traffic  :wink:
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline leedogg

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.fquick.com/Leedogg
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »
I am too scared to wreck a 8000 dollar bike to try to do wheelies on purpose(sp).  but yeah- i have pulled the wheel in first not trying.
1996 Trans Am- Stock as a rock - NOT.  408rwhp/397rwtq.
2004 GMC Yukon XL - The family/Trans Am hauler
1992 Silverado - Future tow vehicle.
2007 Bandit 1250S - first ever bike- I love it!

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 03:46:15 PM »
I've accidentally done a serious wheelie (serious Squid moment there) about 2 miles from the guy I purchased my B12's house.  I dumped it a little too much in first and was off the ground.  (I've done this same trick on a 1400cc v-twin cruiser too...heh).  I've had the front wheel off the ground briefly in 2nd as well when I had a chance to do an Italian tune-up in 1st gear.  When I hit 2nd in the beefy part of the power range, I got a little front wheel air.  
I've not TRIED to pull a wheelie.  Even with LOTS of power in 1st with me leaning forward the bike stays pretty planted.  I also weigh over 300 lbs so that is alot of weight for the bike to overcome to get vertical movement.  
I've also not really had many opportunities to try such things in a controlled and empty environment.  
Weight could be an issue...basic moral of this long post.  
~Drew
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Wheelies
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »
I was in traffic yesterday and needed to change lanes and had just left a red light. I went through two cars,and into second gear pretty quickly, and the after getting up a little speed went into third gear. When I did the front tire came off the ground about three or four inches...on it's own and by accident. I am thinking that if I had the talent to do a "real" wheelie, that the Bandit would probably come up in any gear, however as said ealier in here in fifth (or sixth) you would be going way too fast to want it on one wheel...Banditone1250s... :motorsmile:
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 05:15:56 PM »
I am to old to be doing wheelies on purpose, but my 98 Bandit 1200 will come up with ease in 1st and 2nd, it will come up in 3rd if I am not carefull. It does not come up in 4th and 5th.
Last year, I rode a pass though the 1/4 were I did not get the wheel down until I got though the 1/4 mile. I let it get up to high in 2nd and was still winning the race so I just rode it out.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
Quote from: "banditone1250s"
I am thinking that if I had the talent to do a "real" wheelie, that the Bandit would probably come up in any gear, however as said ealier in here in fifth (or sixth) you would be going way too fast to want it on one wheel...Banditone1250s... :motorsmile:

Those video's of turbo'ed busa's doing 150mph wheelies on empty roads come to mind...
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 07:21:19 PM »
I like hard acceleration with the front wheel about one to two inches from the ground for as long as possible.  

Big wheelies are slow, can get you tickets, and can even get out of control if you aren't careful.

Long, low wheelies are faster and, in my opinion, much cooler.  

My 1200 does that with the throttle in 1st and 2nd and with just a little weight transfer (up and back) in 3rd.  No hard shifts or clutch abuse required.

I really love my B 12! :motorsmile:
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Wheelie Ability
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 07:27:30 PM »
Quote from: "ricklee4570"
In one Motorcyclist magazine test they went so far as to say that the bandit is capable of hitting a wheelie in "any gear" with just a twist of the wrist.

Sounds like they were talking about a TL1000 :wink:
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Pauly

• New user!
    • http://www.uvebeenaced.com
Wheelie Ability
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 09:24:02 PM »
Oops read this post with my wife in the room :duh:  :annoy:
I do what I can do when I can do it.