Author Topic: Just out of curiosity  (Read 6010 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Just out of curiosity
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »
Our reg. here in Ontario is basically nothing - $70 a year, I think...I was thinking they should go public with the insurance but I, too, lived in BC for a time, and the so-called 'cheaper' government insurance was exactly double the ontario rate at that time!

Somebody is getting rich somewhere but it ain't me! :crybaby:

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
Just out of curiosity
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 11:02:51 AM »
Here in NZ I pay $660 nzd for full comprehensive insurance.  This is on a 2006 Honda CB 1300. Comprehensive insurance covers me for everything.  If I am hit by another motorvehicle insured or not, if I hit another motorvehicle or even if I just fall off, my bike will be fixed back to new standard.  Included is full replacement value if bike is stolen.

Here in NZ you can start the licence process off at the age of 15.  First you go to a motorcycle school and obtain a handling certificate then answer a number of multi-choice questions before being given a learner licence.  This allows you to ride up to a 250cc motorcycle. 12 months later or if over 25yrs (and hold a car licence) 6 months later you can go for a practical handling test with a testing officer and if successful you can challange another practical test 6 months later for a full licence.  At this stage you can now ride any size motorcylce you like.

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Just out of curiosity
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 03:48:15 PM »
The province of Alberta just put in a system of graduated licencing about 3 years ago. If you're starting off on a bike, you're limited to ~250cc, can't be out on the bike after sunset, can't carry a passenger, can't have ANY moving violation tickets OR any alcohol related convictions. After, I believe, 2 years, you can then take the full test and if you pass you can then drive any size bike you want. If you have ANY convictions during the 2 year probation period, the 2 year clock starts all over again.
For my '06 B12S, third party and comprehensive (fire & theft) but NO collision coverage (if it's my fault, I fix my bike) the cost is C$700 per year (~US$600). I'm over 25 (way over, actually) with a clean record over the last 2 years or more and no accident claims in that same period.
Cowtown is considered a "high accident risk" zone by all the insurance companies so we city dwellers pay proportionally more than a guy the same age with the same record and the same bike who lives in a small town out in the boonies.
I certainly agree with the graduated licencing thing. There's NO way some 16 year old should be able to walk into a dealer and drive out on a new Gixxer 1000 or a 'Busa just because his parents said he could have whatever bike he wanted for a grad present. That's just dumb.....and it hurts ALL motorcyclists when the dumbass stuffs himself into the side of a city bus while attempting some stunt he saw on TV. The upside to such an ocurrence is that he's removed himself from the gene pool, albeit in a messy and public fashion..... :wink:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings