Author Topic: Wreck victim found dead, but motorcycle missing  (Read 6819 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Wreck victim found dead, but motorcycle missing
« on: April 07, 2005, 10:15:52 AM »
BY PEGGY O'HARE
Houston Chronicle

A man was killed this morning when his motorcycle crashed into a northwest Houston house, but the motorcycle soon disappeared, police said.

The man's body was found around 6 a.m. today between two houses in the 1800 block of West Gulf Bank near Donley. He had suffered major head trauma, said Houston Police Department Sgt. David Crain.

Homicide investigators and crime scene unit officers were initially called to the scene, but determined the man had been injured in some sort of traffic accident after finding broken bits of the motorcycle nearby and discovering a tire track leading up to the house.

Officers also found a spot where the man's head had hit the house. He was not wearing a helmet, Crain said.

Police determined the man had been driving a motorcycle southbound on Donley Street at a high rate of speed, then crossed over West Gulf Bank and hit the house.

After the impact, someone came along and took the motorcycle, leaving the man's body there, police said. Police were still looking for that motorcycle later today, Crain said.

Return to top

I wonder if the pigs took his wallet, also?
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:35:01 AM »
Hey look, FREE BIKE!!
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 02:05:05 PM »
Crook at scene..."Dammit, I was hoping for a helmet!"
Officers also found a spot where the man's head had hit the house. He was not wearing a helmet, Crain said.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Landry

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
Maybe they drive a car/truck that is easily distinguishable by the paint, so they took the bike in order to avoid prosecution.

That's my guess.

. . . OR they needed a bike and that one was still usable.
Ever noticed that they don't make helmets out of bone? There's a reason.

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 03:49:51 PM »
Some people are just freaks man.

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »
Quote from: "Landry"
Maybe they drive a car/truck that is easily distinguishable by the paint, so they took the bike in order to avoid prosecution.

That's my guess.

. . . OR they needed a bike and that one was still usable.

Are you saying you think the thief caused the accident and took the bike to cover it up? Plausible...

We can go a step further and speculate that the thief caused the accident so he could steal the bike...  :stickpoke:

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 07:20:41 PM »
I think Houston is setting records for 'strange' accidents.
  Wasn't it in Houston where the lady on drugs hit a homeless person, and went home and parked the car in her garage with him still stuck in the windshield?

Anybody familiar with that nieghborhood?

Kind of strange nobody heard the rider hit the side of the house.
  (Unless it was brick....)

I kind of think the rider crashed, and somebody came along later and maybe saw the bike, and took it.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 10:48:23 PM »
Nope... the windshield lady was in Ft. Worth.  I think she got 30 years for that.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 11:06:58 PM »
Could have been FT Worth..... :?:

Dunno.  I think most people who are involved in an accident, and decide to run, beat feet right away so they don't get caught.
  Loading the bike up would require the right type of vehicle, and or a couple of extra hands to put it in a pickup.
    Depending on the type residential area it was in....the damn thing could have been rolled into a garage down the block pretty quickly.

If you want to steal a bike a guy's riding, do you run him down in a residential area?

My guess is either a 'street racing' scenario, or the guy was drunk, and launched himself into the house somehow, and somebody scooped the bike up pretty quickly.

Sure would be nice to hear what the PD comes up with on this one.....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Wow, here's another one...
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 11:13:04 AM »
Friday, April 8, 2005

Man test-riding motorcycle dies in accident

FARMINGTON -- A West Farmington man was killed Thursday after he lost control of the motorcycle he was riding and was catapulted onto the front lawn of a Middle Street home, according to police.

Justin M. Maurer, 23, died of blunt force trauma to the neck, according to the state medical examiner's office. Police blamed speed and a failure to control the motorcycle on a slight curve in the road. Maurer was wearing a helmet, Farmington police Chief Richard Caton III said.

It appeared Maurer was thrown from the bike before it hit a tree near the intersection of Middle Street and Fairview Avenue.

Maurer, who was a bartender at the Boiler Room restaurant in Wilton, had gone to the Granary Restaurant in Farmington to meet some friends after getting out of work at 11 p.m., Caton said.

He arrived there about midnight and when a friend showed him a motorcycle he was considering buying, Maurer asked if he could take the 1987 Honda CBR out for a short ride. He was last seen about 12:15 a.m., Caton said. Police said alcohol was not a factor in the crash.

"His friends became very concerned that something had happened when he didn't return and they went out looking for him. We got a call at 1:30 a.m. and Officer Mary Pratt started looking for him, as well," Caton said.

Even though Middle Street is a residential, downtown neighborhood, no one heard the crash and since neither the body nor the bike could be seen from the street, it was not until 6 a.m. that one of Maurer's friends found him, the chief said.

In the small community of Farmington-area restaurant workers, Maurer was well-liked and well-known, and his death deeply affected many people, said Rick Mealy, owner of The Boiler Room. He employed Maurer for two years.

Maurer, who was from Leeds, graduated from the University of Maine at Farmington last May with a degree in community health. He finished an internship last year at the UMF Health and Fitness Center, and also taught snowboarding at Sugarloaf/USA. Mealy said Maurer was saving money to move to Oregon with his girlfriend later this year.

"This is so tragic. He was one of the best people you could meet -- always in a good mood, with a big smile, and was always willing to help. He was an amazing guy," Mealy said. "So many people knew him and he was a really popular kid. I am sure his memorial service will be packed."

At least the bike was still there in the morning!!

THe above happened in Maine.......

Imagine going out in the morning to get your newspaper out of the driveway, and finding a dead rider!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Damn! Those houses are tricky!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 04:55:23 PM »
Here's another rider who ran into a house.....this time in FLORIDA.
Posted April 5, 2005, 11:30 AM EDT

Posted April 5, 2005, 11:30 AM EDT

DELTONA -- A 46-year-old motorcyclist was killed Monday night when he lost control of the motorcycle he was riding and crashed into the side of a house, police said. John Baublitz of Deltona was heading north along Humphrey Boulevard about 10:50 p.m. when he veered off the road and hit the house at the corner of Etta Circle, Volusia County sheriff's investigators said.

Baublitz, whom deputies said was not wearing a helmet, suffered critical head trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene. The house was not damaged.

Baublitz was the second motorcyclist to die in a crash in Deltona this year. Last month, Louis Stanley, 42, of Deltona, was killed in an early morning crash along Deltona Boulevard when he slammed into a tractor trailer pulling out of a parking lot. Stanley also was not wearing a helmet, deputies said.

I think the AMA needs to do something about those 'killer houses'! :duh:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 07:07:03 PM »
:idea: Air fences for all houses at "T" intersections or in curves!  :roll:

None of these say if drugs or alcohol were involved... I'm suspecting, yes.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 08:04:17 PM »
I know this isn't a laughing matter but, at least the house wasn't damaged.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
NY checks in....
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 08:08:46 AM »
Man drives motorcycle into house
Updated: 4/9/2005 7:34 AM
By: Capital News 9 web staff

The warm weather has motorcycle enthusiasts craving the open road. Unfortunately, one man's maiden ride took a turn for the worse.

The driver of a motorcycle, who police won't name at this time, was driving his brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle on Route 20 in Nassau.

Police said another vehicle cut him off and sent him into a house. The motorcycle hit a pile of rocks, slammed nose down against the house, and sent him and his bike through a window.

WATCH THE VIDEO

Motorcycle crash

The warm weather has motorcycle enthusiasts craving the open road. Unfortunately, one man's maiden ride took a turn for the worse.

"This is all broken and then on the side, there's a broken window too, so he hit pretty hard. Thank God he wasn't going that fast," said Wanda Anderson.

Amazingly, the man walked into the ambulance on his own. He was treated on the scene and is reportedly doing fine.

At least a second vehicle was involved....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 06:32:52 AM »
A little off the topic here but still talks about how things can disapear in houses.

A few years ago I met these two Austrian guys on the ferry from Prince Rupert BC, to Ketchikan Alaska. (The were going to hike to Klondike trail) When I asked them what they did they informed me that they were munitions experts for the Austrian Army who defused bombs. So I asked, do you deal with a lot of bombs? They replied an avearge of two per week. I asked what kind of bombs? They told me that a 100% of the bombs they deal will are WWII ordinance that had been dropped during the war into factories and homes all over Europe.

The usual story is, someone is doing a home renovation & finds an unexploded bomb wedged in a wall somewhere.

Be very cautious when doing home reno's in Europe I thought.

From the story, you guys use bikes in America!