Author Topic: Yay!! What a beautiful sound!  (Read 5371 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Yay!! What a beautiful sound!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
It's a sad world for me... my lawn mower got started and used before any of my bikes.  :sad:

I'm soooo ashamed of myself! :banghead:

Move here,.. I can honestly say that mowing in March is not a risk,..

:duh:  Those were taken about 10 mins ago.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 02:37:18 PM »
Uhhh... that's OK, I prefer to have the limited snow covering I now enjoy. There's plenty of snow this time of year within an hour's drive if I want it.

There was just a bit on the news the other night about the North Cascades Highway... they figure they'll be able to open it up in mid-May - even though there's still 55 feet of snow on it in places.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »
Uhhh... that's OK, I prefer to have the limited snow covering I now enjoy. There's plenty of snow this time of year within an hour's drive if I want it.

I'd love the opportunity to mow in March,... of course if I did it,.. the neighbors would just think I'm more of a nut than they already do.

There was just a bit on the news the other night about the North Cascades Highway... they figure they'll be able to open it up in mid-May - even though there's still 55 feet of snow on it in places.

That sounds like a few of our mountain roads.  That's not near Mt Baker and friends, is it?
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 02:59:52 PM »
The North Cascades Highway is near Mt. Baker, but it doesn't go there. It's the furthest north trans-Cascade highway in WA... and since it it was opened in 1972, it's only stayed open all winter once (1976). It usually closes in Nov and re-opens in April or May. According to WSDOT, they started ploying yesterday and figure it'll be ~6 weeks until it's open.

The Mt. Baker highway doesn't cross the moutains, just goes to the ski resort up there, so it stays open all year. (It's a great m/c road once the snow & sand is gone.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 02:41:40 AM »
The North Cascades Highway is near Mt. Baker, but it doesn't go there. It's the furthest north trans-Cascade highway in WA... and since it it was opened in 1972, it's only stayed open all winter once (1976). It usually closes in Nov and re-opens in April or May. According to WSDOT, they started ploying yesterday and figure it'll be ~6 weeks until it's open.

The Mt. Baker highway doesn't cross the moutains, just goes to the ski resort up there, so it stays open all year. (It's a great m/c road once the snow & sand is gone.)

Sounds like some of our mountain roads for sure.  Hwy 93 gets closed regularly, and the roads to the ski hills and the hot springs are in way better shape than the ones that lead to some of the awesome views.  :)  GOD I miss the mountains this time of the year.  I have to drive about 2.5 hrs before I see them.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 12:20:11 AM »
55 FEET................. Jeez!  I think I'm gonna stay rat heah in Florida.  LOL

Blue

03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 07:02:55 AM »
Looks like I'm a week ahead of Stormi,the snow has finnally melted off around my house.I call this our mud season,the yard is like a wet lands,so it will be awhile befor I have to fire up the mower.But I finally got to go ride Sunday! YAHOO! Took the Bandit out for about 60 miles.(after checking over both bikes) Stayed on the main roads,the back roads still have alot of crap on them. Road by the local ski slopes,wich was full of skiers enjoying the warm 50 degrees F. Then went back to the shop to put a sweat shirt over my leathers and took the SV for a ride. Put on another 150 miles,then washed and waxed them both.   My wife wasn't too pleased that I took my only day off for myself on my bikes. I left around 10:30 and got home around 7:00. But it was a long wait and worth abit of bad additude.  :lol:  Looking foward to doing some of my favorite back roads,but for now they'er still full of pot holes,loose gravel. So I'll mostly stay on the main roads again next time. :motorsmile:

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 03:13:58 PM »
Quote from: "smooth operator"
Looks like I'm a week ahead of Stormi,the snow has finnally melted off around my house.I call this our mud season,the yard is like a wet lands,so it will be awhile befor I have to fire up the mower.But I finally got to go ride Sunday! YAHOO!

LOL! I think you're more than a week ahead of me,... I can't see mowing til late april.  And we got some more of the wet sloppy sh!t this morning too.  

Once that's all melted,.. I'll have to rake the sludge (what the hell is that stuff anyway?) , before the grass will grow,.. then I have to mow.  Maybe early May...

Congrats on the ride! We got out on Sunday too.  Froze my ass off though.   :embarassed:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline wizud

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 09:53:25 PM »
I ride all year round which is the good part. Down side is I can't ride this morning- I have to mow my lawns!! :crybaby:
If you can't ride today, try and have a good day anyway!

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 09:20:22 AM »
My wife has been doing a bit of clean up in our (swamp)yard.The one side is full of bark,chips from the chain saw,and I picked up skids that I had the firewood stacked on.What a mess!Then I went to the shop and took the SV out for 180mile ride. But I'm hoping in a couple of weeks the yard will be drying up enough for my grandson to ride his "mermorcycle". He's just starting to get the cycle part in there @ 2 1/2. We got a hand-me-down battery opperated Kawi 4wheeler that needed a battery. I did a tile job for a buddy a couple nights ago,his son own a battery outlet store and is going to hook me up. He's aready had a couple rides on the Bandit(around the yard) . Every time he comes over he wants to sit on granadpas motorcycle.(winters @ the shop and doesn't come home till the swamp dries up) So I'm thinking that will be in May sometime.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »
Quote from: "Have Blue"
55 FEET................. Jeez!  I think I'm gonna stay rat heah in Florida.  LOL

Blue

Where it's 55 feet deep is just in the avalanche chutes.
Here's a pic of one of one of last year's chutes - it was only ~45' deep.

FWIW, this region does get a lot of snow. Mt Baker & Mt. Rainer regularly trade off in the Guiness Book for world record annual snowfall. Mt Baker currently holds it with 1140 inches in a season (winter 1998-1999). But down here in coastal WA, we hardly get any snow in the winter... but plenty of rain.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)