Author Topic: Yay!! What a beautiful sound!  (Read 5368 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Yay!! What a beautiful sound!
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:20:03 PM »
Got Dita fired up for the first time this spring!  AND, for once, without requiring the removal of the carbs!

Sounds like the SeaFoam worked!

Now to put the Honda back together, and fire it up,.. then I'll come and actually read what's been going on on the board. :banana:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 07:13:06 PM »
And the blue one fired up like he'd never been put to bed!  

Wow,.. I set aside a whole day for this! +9C today too,... I might just go for a little boot.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline 1200 bandits

• TURBO TYPER!
Congratulations.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:28:50 PM »
That's what I have been accustomed to the last 5 years with my Bandit, take the battery out before the freezing temperatures, trickle charge with a Canadian tire bought battery charger, and when the warm temperatures come, put in the battery, push the start button, and voila!

(I do go through a putting back into service maintenance routine, but not before enjoying a quick first ride.)

Last night it was sunny and +10 after supper.  I grabbed the battery and installed it.  It seemed too large for the battery tray.  Not a good omen.

Tapped it down with the palm of my hand, put the key in the ignition and turned it.  Wouldn't even illuminate the dash lights.  Battery charger showed full charge.

Grabbed my multimeter; 2 volts.

Time for a new battery.

Ordered one this morning; but couldn't pick it up before the shop closed.  Damn; it's going to be sunny and +11 tomorrow.

Well; a couple of more days and I should be back in the saddle again.

Ride Safe & Ride Often,

1200 Bandits

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 10:15:06 PM »
Aint nothing better than the sound of running bikes.  :-)
Congrats!

Blue

Quote from: "stormi"

Wow,.. I set aside a whole day for this! +9C today too,... I might just go for a little boot.
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline smitty225

• TURBO TYPER!
I amaze myself sometimes...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 10:41:29 PM »
I cranked mine up about a week ago.  Spent half a Saturday.  Seemed like she just wouldn't start.  She would crank but just wouldn't turn over.  I toyed with draining the bowls and dumping in some Techron and letting it sit.  But I just couldn't spend enough time in the cold garage to find the right sized allen key!  

Finally, I decided to put in a gallon or so of fresh petrol.  Still nothing.  Then I sat on the bike and started making a whole bunch of Vrrroooom!!  Vrrooom!!! Vrrrrrom!! sounds and then remembered to pull down the choke lever.  duh.

She started right up after that.
Nakid' Green - 96' 1st Gen - B6
D&D Slip-on
Progressive Springs
Stebel Compact horn (139dB!)
jet kit
...I hate winter.

Offline willo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:57:33 PM »
Gees I am glade I live in Aus, and can ride all year be to hard to put bike to bed for more than 1 or 2 nights I guess I'm spoilt ..Graham :aus:

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 04:40:22 AM »
Word-up scarborough. Push start the basterd and go for a ride!!! +11 and sunny is good enough for me!

Tuesday suposed to be +18! I'll believe it when I see it.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 07:20:07 AM »
I like to fire mine up once or twice a month during the winter. Let it run for awhile,till its up to temp.
  Supposed to be nice today,hope to go for a long awaited ride!           Dan

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: I amaze myself sometimes...
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 11:01:12 PM »
Quote from: "smitty225"
I cranked mine up about a week ago.  Spent half a Saturday.  Seemed like she just wouldn't start.  She would crank but just wouldn't turn over.  I toyed with draining the bowls and dumping in some Techron and letting it sit.  But I just couldn't spend enough time in the cold garage to find the right sized allen key!  

Finally, I decided to put in a gallon or so of fresh petrol.  Still nothing.  Then I sat on the bike and started making a whole bunch of Vrrroooom!!  Vrrooom!!! Vrrrrrom!! sounds and then remembered to pull down the choke lever.  duh.

She started right up after that.

It starts even better if you turn the petcock lever to the PRIME (3 o'clock) position  before pushing the starter button. Believe it or not, enough fuel evaporates from the float bowls after 2-3 weeks sitting idle that starting becomes iffy. Really, you HAVE to try priming the carbs - it makes a world of difference in the starting process.

My '99 Bandit stinks up the garage with gas fumes coming from fuel boiling out of the carbs after a run. I'm sure that starts the process of fuel evapping from the bowls.

Don't forget to put the petcock back into the run position (pointy end down to 6 o'clock).

Herb

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 11:56:26 PM »
In texas, I never put mine away.  :motorsmile:

Now in NY, it was a different story. Unlike some, I left my battery in all winter and just ran the carbs dry and put some stabil in the tank. Always worked like a charm.

PS. Seafoam rocks.
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 01:45:34 AM »
Quote from: "Have Blue"
Aint nothing better than the sound of running bikes.  :-)
Congrats!

Blue

Quote from: "stormi"

I had the stupid grin on my face and everything!  Didn't get them out til Sunday, and it was late in the day when we did get out.  Holy crap is it cold riding on the highway at +1.5C, that's what,.. 34F for you metric-challenged people ;)  And I forgot that certain parts of the city would still have wet (and icing at the close to freezing temps) ground, despite the warmer temps all weekend.  Places like groat road, the only twisty spot in Edmonton.  Add to that the gravel and I got my first ride on blackish ice, and gravel.  I'm not in a hurry to duplicate that again soon!  

Dita's running like a top.. and Blue,.. well,.. he's running great as usual.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: I amaze myself sometimes...
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:47 AM »
Quote from: "smitty225"
IThen I sat on the bike and started making a whole bunch of Vrrroooom!!  Vrrooom!!! Vrrrrrom!! sounds

LOL! Been there!  If it helps,.. I think the vroom vroom sounds give it encouragement...
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 01:48:18 AM »
Quote from: "StangMATA"
In texas, I never put mine away.  :motorsmile:

Now in NY, it was a different story. Unlike some, I left my battery in all winter and just ran the carbs dry and put some stabil in the tank. Always worked like a charm.

PS. Seafoam rocks.

I think the Seafoam is what did it this year.  It's the first time we've used it, and the first year we haven't fought non-stop to get her running.   I'd like to buy stock in that company!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 10:06:32 AM »
It's a sad world for me... my lawn mower got started and used before any of my bikes.  :sad:

I'm soooo ashamed of myself! :banghead:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »
As some of you know, I've been riding right through the winter. Only stopped for snow. Had some starting problems early on, but after I had the carbs cleaned out, the B4 started right over, even on 18˚F evenings!