Author Topic: FNG  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« on: June 29, 2005, 08:09:56 PM »
Greetings, gang,

Just got back into the game after a long layoff, picked up a new 1200S with the blue & white paint job, and so far I know I made the right choice. Now, I just have to let my memory work its way back to the frontal lobes and defy the insurance guy who says I'm gonna wreck because I'm 55!
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline cb400bill

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 09:06:53 PM »
Nice bike.  Welcome back.  Start off slow and smooth.  Fast will come.  If you want it to.

Offline lwg

• TURBO TYPER!
FNG
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 10:12:21 PM »
I'll turn 54 in three weeks. Tell your insurance guy it's younger kids like me who have all of the wrecks!

Offline ratbike05

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:32:08 AM »
If your insurance guy won't listen, try GEICO.  When I was looking around for rates they seemed to have the cheapest around...at least here in Ohio.
Wait for me!!

Jim

97 Bandit 600

Offline 00Bandit Rider

• TURBO TYPER!
old farts
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 03:02:54 PM »
Yur insurance man is prolly rite  try to make the crash as slow as possible maybe even at a standstill. I started riding in 1952 & people have been telling me I am to old for bikes at least 25 years. To ell with them
I am 69 years old now, my neighbor rides a  Gold Wing & is 83 &
still going & going & going

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 03:28:37 PM »
you need to shop around
there are motorcycle specific insurance brokers
they will work the system for you and
find the insurance policy with rules that will
get you the best rate maybe even combine it
with your other insurance policies to help get the rate lower

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 03:40:23 PM »
Wow, not to be a drag, but I just read this thread after reading the following article on our local paper:
Thursday, June 30, 2005

Authorities identify man killed in accident

Authorities released the name of a motorcyclist killed Wednesday when a tractor-trailer collided with the 2003 Harley Davidson he was riding.

Lester Charles Safley, 54, of Iowa City, was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to the Cedar County Sheriff’s Department:

About 12:22 p.m., Safley was riding south on Moscow Road, one-fourth mile south of the Tipton interchange with Interstate 80.

Safley was making a left turn into a business driveway when a 1999 Freightliner tractor-trailer driven by Kenneth J. Dotterweich, 38, of Monticello, hit the rear of the Harley Davidson.

The motorcycle became lodged under the tractor-trailer and caught fire, which was put out with fire extinguishers.

Dotterweich was not injured. The crash remains under investigation.

Anyone can make mistakes, and bad decisions.  Maybe 55 yr old bikers are only crashing because 38 year old truckers are running them over... I kid, but seriously, there are so many angles to look at these issues.  The best thing you can do is shop around and prove the other insurance guy wrong.  Stay safe, and have fun!  Welcome!
 :beers:
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"
2005-ish 47cc Cagllari "Balzac"

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 06:40:41 AM »
You must be one of those 55 yr old guys running down the highway on your back tire,and doing a stoppie at the intersection. You can tell your ins. agent has never been a biker. I'm not far behind you @ 49,and some of my buddys that I ride with have already passed up 55.
  Congradulations on the new bike. You'll wonder why you waited so long.
   :motorsmile:  Be safe and have fun, Dan

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 08:10:12 AM »
Welcome, as for insurance company men. Well lets just say they are only in the business to make money, pretending to be looking after your best interests, is nothing but a total farce. Insurance companies are like assholes everybodys got one but no one likes to take it out in public.
As I said welcome, keep it, the shiney side up, and enjoy. :congrats:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 09:39:11 AM »
Insurance companies are like assholes everybodys got one but no one likes to take it out in public.

Hey Mick I like that, can I use it.

And Old-n-Slow, welcome back to the wonderful world of motorcycles keep it rubber side down and enjoy.  The best piece of advice I was every given was from a Riding Instructor at the end of the course he offered the following......

"If you treat everyone else on the road with utter contempt, as though THEIR sole purpose in life is to KILL YOU, then you'll be alert and you've got a better chance of surviving - now go out there and survive...oh and try to have some fun :lol: "
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 10:49:35 AM »
"If you treat everyone else on the road with utter contempt, as though THEIR sole purpose in life is to KILL YOU, then you'll be alert and you've got a better chance of surviving"

Thanks, Mick, I like that. Back in the day when I knew what I was doing, I was told "It's not paranoia, they really ARE trying to kill you!"
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 02:12:07 PM »
"a bike is only as fast as you want it to be"
When you dance with the Devil its you who changes not the Devil.

Offline jared1970

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 07:05:56 PM »
Quote from: "Old_n_Slow"
"If you treat everyone else on the road with utter contempt, as though THEIR sole purpose in life is to KILL YOU, then you'll be alert and you've got a better chance of surviving"

That's the same advice my father gave me when I was learing to drive. Of course, when I made the decision to get my first motorcycle, his words were: "Don't get killed on that F-ing thing!".

So far I've been riding for eight years, with zero crashes and only a handful of close calls. I think my father's advice has worked very well so far. Drive as if everyone else is trying to kill you.
'06 Suzuki Boulevard M50
1983 Honda CB900 Custom (soon to be an 1123 :) )

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
FNG
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 09:10:36 PM »
:welcome: Nice to hear you back on the bike  :beers:

IMO Suzuki didn't help the Bandit's image by putting GXR style race colors. A really good friend of mine was sold on the Bandit till he saw the flashy paint "too big and fast, you have fun". He bought a silver FZ1 that I need to pay close attention to or he can get the jump on me.

Question: Is your insurance guy just jellous, or did you get a crapy rate?

Yeah yeah I'm aware this emoticon is not needed here but but but.... :bouncy:
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!