Author Topic: Yet another new member introduction  (Read 2730 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Yet another new member introduction
« on: February 28, 2007, 04:29:56 AM »
Hi,
This is a great board so very glad I found it.
Just last week bought a GSF 1200 2005 with insurance title. Wasn't sure I was going to until he started it up, the rumble even out of stock pipes sold me.
Needless to say there is much to be done, but also thank god for Suzuki making every stock part so expensive, doesn't take too much for them to be written off. The short list is no fairing (which wont be replaced), both foot peg mounts, and gear shift hardware, badly dented tank. I won't be putting a fairing on but haven't decided on headlight 'look' yet. Dreaming of  Yoshi pipe and a jet kit... Like I said lots to be done, I'll be asking tons of questions.
This is however the first bike I ever bought that was in fact running, and not even close to as old as I am. (-:
Oddly enough it was going to be a KLR 650/DR 400 or well something very much like the Bandit, I guess the decision is now made. Nothing to do but shop for the goodies!
Sorry for the long post.
M
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:21:44 AM »
How about a pic?
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 11:46:05 AM »
:welcome: and  :congrats: on the purchase. Sounds like it'll be fairly easy to get back on the road.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:53 PM »
:congrats:

Dontcha just love project bikes?  :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:33:19 PM »
So sounds like you've done insurance title investment before with other bikes. What kind of deal did you get and how did you hook into an insurance sale? Post a picture so we can see a comparison for the transformation.
   Anyway welcome aboard! From what I have seen there are a bunch of fairing to naked bike conversions that have been discussed on this board, specifically in the headlight department so you should find what your looking for. As far the year/model bike, you made a outstanding choice and probubly saved allot of money.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: Yet another new member introduction
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 01:43:01 PM »
Quote from: "mademiriam"

Needless to say there is much to be done, but also thank god for Suzuki making every stock part so expensive, doesn't take too much for them to be written off.

Welcome!  

As for parts, some can be taken from bikes other than the Bandits, a little research can point you in that direction, and you can also try the BikeBandit link at the bottom of the page.  I've ordered from them, and their shipping is speedy, once they get the parts in stock if they're not already, and prices are -much- better than Canadian prices.   Also of course there are the usual routes, such as the for sale forum on this board, and flea-bay.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
warm welcome
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 10:43:37 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll post a pic as soon I as I get set up again (just moved). I've been just amazed at the sheer number or parts and mods available. I'm used to early 80's bikes where every tiny item becomes a search in to oscurity and microfiche part number matching or my preffered method 'MAKE it work'. Have a new (to me anyway) tank on order already!

So sounds like you've done insurance title investment before with other bikes. What kind of deal did you get and how did you hook into an insurance sale?

This is my first insurance bike, generally I've only bought parts bikes. I don't think I got the best deal on it really. I bought it from a local dealer for 3400 Canadian, bikes are getting really expensive out on the east coast. But after seeing it I just couldn't resist!
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Finally some pictures
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:56:17 AM »
Finally got some pics uploaded. Sadly these are old but the bike looks pretty much the same (just clean) new hindle, jet kit, galfer brake lines and race tech springs due in next week.

need to find a source for my wanted rizoma signals...
bought the 'headlights' today, i'll post again once it looks remotely like anything else.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:37:27 AM »
You're working on your bike in your living room?

I love it! You are one cool chick.   :bigok: :bandit:

Keep us posted on your progress...  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 10:39:57 PM »
That way she can have it right there next to her desktop computer. Makes applying what she learns here easier that way.
 :bandit:  :motorsmile:  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 12:08:38 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
That way she can have it right there next to her desktop computer. Makes applying what she learns here easier that way.
 :bandit:  :motorsmile:  :bandit:
tis true, I read it on the forum and just look over and go ...ah thats what they mean. Actually I don't LIKE doing mechanical things in my living room there just isn't any other place. Plus I needed a couch...so emmm well I bought the bike instead. (Okay not really).
It has been nice to have it within easy view, it's made some of the 'style' decisions easier to make.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 01:41:44 AM »
I'd love to know what bike lift that is, and if it came with adapter that can be used on the bandit, or was something fabricated to use it. I'd like to be able to jack up the whole bike at times, looked at the sears brand, but that won't work with the exhaust pipes.