Author Topic: exhaust cleaning  (Read 7753 times)

Offline no friction

• New user!
exhaust cleaning
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
hi i just rebuilt my bike and overhauled everything took a few pics of exhaust cleaning process

pics 1 and 2 a heavy patina had been built up on the exhausts

pics 3 and 4 are after about 2-3 hours of sanding  the downpipes with  800 grit first then thoroughly with 1000 grit paper

pics 5 and 6 are after i two stage polished them with polishing wheels attached to a heavy duty drill. i just use a nut and bolt for a wheel adapter and put it straight into the chuk.

i decided to polish my end can as well as it had some considerably deep scratches i managed to sand out

do not like this end can that came with the bike i think it might be a bit to big. might mod it or put a smaller one on

to clean the inside of the pipes i removed the end can. tipped washing powder into the pipes and my old steering bearings i had replaced. then filled with boiling water after plugging the ends of the pipes and just shook it around for twenty minutes . 
turned out satisfactory thought i would share

have a good one  :thumb:

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: exhaust cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 05:37:02 AM »
thanks for sharing. I was trying to use HCl as this should not harm stainless steel pipes. It didn't but also didn't remove almost any patina. I was afraid of making unremovable scratches from it by using sandpaper so I avoided it.

Good to know that it won't harm them.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline no friction

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
the sanding removed the patina but was prep work for the final polish. i think if i had of just been intending to sand the pipes without polishing i would of taken it to 1500 grit. 
i have always been told autosol is good?. But have not tried it yet

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:15:26 AM »
That looks great!

Autosol is good, I have a tube that I use on the bike, but it isn't going to make the header look like that though.

I know because I gave it a go
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC