Author Topic: Alarm Systems  (Read 7007 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
What do you guys use? There's so many to choose from.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Alarm Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »
A small yappy dog, a locked garage and a 12 ga shotgun.  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »
yes am considering putting my trademark sticker
"nothing says i love you like a luger" on the bike. Theft coverage is just crazy through insurance...then again if I loose it I'll be just heartbroken.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much. Bandit's are not thief magnets, at least here in Toronto and with all those 600 around that they can steal, stunt, part out, race...

I generally consider alarms a waste of time and money. They are just a minor theft deterrent and do nothing to make your bike actually harder to steal for a determined thief.

If I thought my Bandit has a reasonable chance of getting stolen I would get one of these:

http://www.lockitt.com/disclock.htm#Xmart
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »
Once you try too drive off with a disclock on your disk  :duh:  you'll change your mind about putting one on your costly parts.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 05:55:30 PM »
A "DiscLock" for $75 bucks?!?!?  :annoy:

A simple padlock through one of the holes in the disc does the same thing, for $12 bucks.  :roll:

Of course, don't forget and take off with it still on there...  :lol:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:31:41 AM »
I don't have an alarm on ANYTHING...but I can't imagine loosing the bandit, and I really don't want to fork over the insurance money, as if I was to make a claim i just know they will do what they have done to everyone else raise their rates for the next several years...in other words i may as well take the risk. I WILL use a disklock depending on where i leave it, I'd like to get a nice two way proximity alarm...that way I have a chance at hearing somebody taking off the hindle.
It not being a target is half the reason I bought it, I don't like worrying about stuff like that, it will also be pretty hard looking this first year till i get it painted...
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 03:13:07 PM »
I use one of these: Bully

Cheap and it's a basic means of protection. I figure if somebody is determined to steal my bike it's gonna happen. I could put 10 of the disc locks on, but 3 big guys can pick the entire bike up and put it onto a trailer.

Xenia does make the same stapler type lock but with an "alarm" built into it. Personally I can't see spending $80 for something like that.

And they do make those little bungee cords that connect to your handlebars to remind you that you have a lock on   :duh:
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline DjVas

• TURBO TYPER!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
HJC ChatterBox 2002 Motorcycle Alarm

plenty of features... not too loud but works fine

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 03:33:29 PM »
thanks for the advice guys, I'll be getting a disklock for sure, i park it RIGHT outside my front door so I'm not to worried about that, and when I park it at work it has camreas and people with guns around, so hopefully I'll be aright. Most places where I go I can see lots of ppl being around and them KNOWING who's bike the ugly bandit is.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Alarm Systems
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 01:05:12 AM »
Hey! You're in Canada, ...
Princess Auto has a car alarm on sale this week for $25.  You mount that horn somewhere good, and no one will mess with your bike more than once.   :evil1:

The ad says: Rampage car alarm.  Features transmitter, 8 level adjustable shock sensor, arm/disarm chirp, 60sec shutdown, learning codes for extra transmitter,  Easy installation  PA's product number for it is 8166548.

arm/disarm chirp

Damn! That would be hilarious,... "boop boop" and she gets on her bike....

Of course they do say that the best theft deterrent is actually a motorcycle cover.  Most people don't try to steal what they don't see.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 09:37:45 AM »
and to think I was just at princess auto yesterday!
Now I have to go back today just to see it...what a chore!  :grin: gotta love that store.
I do have a cover...but I did something I would normally never do and bought a GSF1200 cover, there aren't many bandits around and the local bike shop had one on a shelf marked down, in fact is was the only bike specific one there I took that as a sign. It fits well but also has big Suzuki on the side...makes it look nicer than it does. Maybe not being good at bodywork IS good for something.
Just imagine the car alarm going off, unlike in a car where it would be inside the hood lol, strike fear in to people with wrenches trying to get my pricey bits off.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Alarm Systems
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 03:32:42 AM »
It lived in the surplus department, and it's in a plastic card type of container.  It's small enough to be missed.  We stopped by there today and grabbed one.  I may use it for the 919, or I may set it up to be used with the trailer when it's loaded with the bikes...

Princess Auto is an evil little place.  I rarely get out of there for under $60,.. but I have -tons- of handy tools, that will likely get used once or twice in their lives.   :annoy:  :roll:

The cover is great for when you're at home, or at work, possibly,.. I think if you stop on "busy street", your town, and use it, it's likely to generate attention more than you want.  The other thing that I've heard of is some people with dirtbikes use laptop alarms.... that's something to think about.  I personally like to try to not use bike specific stuff whenever possible, cos we pay a premium for it.

Quote from: "mademiriam"
Just imagine the car alarm going off, unlike in a car where it would be inside the hood lol, strike fear in to people with wrenches trying to get my pricey bits off.

I was thinking the same!  I doubt they'd even walk near the bike anytime soon after that!
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Alarm Systems
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »
Quote from: "stormi"
Princess Auto is an evil little place.  I rarely get out of there for under $60,.. but I have -tons- of handy tools, that will likely get used once or twice in their lives.   :annoy:  :roll:

Is that because they break after one or two uses or they'll decompose before they get used that second or third time?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Alarm Systems
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 11:51:46 AM »
Lol I think it's because they have such specific uses that most of us don't have use for some of them much. When I had my first bike (GS400) and moved out on my own, close to the only princess auto here. Bought a impact driver, still use it lots! But that gear puller i bought is still in the package...all to often I buy tools after I finished a job when I though 'that would have been useful'...there will come a day. :grin:
'03 R6 trackbike