Author Topic: Bandit Seat - So Bad  (Read 9089 times)

Offline GoDad

• New user!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:56:51 PM »
Has anyone found a comfortable seat that fits on a 1200 Bandit that you can stand to ride in more than a short time.  I replaced the original with a gel seat, but I still feel like it jams me up against the tank all the time.  Want to be able to sit on my butt, not my crotch.

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 07:45:52 PM »
Is yours a Gen 1 or Gen 2?  There are several choices including Corbin, Sargent and others.  Many swear by their Corbins so they are worthy of consideration.  I sat on a Gen 2 Corbin and I liked it but, at present, I still have a stock seat.  A local auto upholstery shop might be able to redo the foam and cover on your stock base.  I think Sargent has done this on Bandit seats.  Good luck.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:28:50 AM »
I've got a 2gen B12 and have never found the standard seat to be anything but comfortable.

If I'm going for a LOOOOONG ride then I throw the sheep skin on.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 12:59:14 AM »
I rode 2800 miles over a 1 1/2 weeks last summer on my stock seat.  I had more issues of my wrist hurting from holding the throttle than from my seat.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 09:00:21 AM »
Quote from: "solman"
I rode 2800 miles over a 1 1/2 weeks last summer on my stock seat.  I had more issues of my wrist hurting from holding the throttle than from my seat.

A throttle lock will fix that
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline dandit

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 01:44:44 PM »
I have a Corbin on my '97 1200s and I love it. Just turned 58,000 miles and all is well :banana:
'97 1200s with 65k- still rocks
06 Sonata v6 140mph
There ain't no medication like self medication!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 03:02:04 AM »
I will definitely do that before another long trip.   BTW, are the corbin seats soft? I rode a friends CB100F with a gunfighter/lady seat and it was pretty hard.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:49:54 PM »
Corbins are hard as a rock, but there's a reason for it. Think of cowboys in the saddle all day on a trail ride. Now, have you ever felt how hard a western saddle is? Same principal, and for me at least, it works. I put a gunfighter and lady on my 05 1200/s and the difference was remarkable. At 100 miles the stocker was about done for me, the Corbin still felt hard and I was waiting for numb-butt to set in. At 200 miles, still waiting. 300, 400 and 500, still waiting.

I guess the best way to say it is that Corbins are not comfortable, but they don't cause discomfort or pain. Definately good for long haul riding.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline adileng2

• New user!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:03:41 PM »
Hi
I have the 2001 B12s and want to replace the stock seat. My butt was almost numb after a 200 mile ride. I’m not sure if I should go with the Corbin 2gen seat or get a gel seat. Can someone please explain the pro’s and con’s of each to help me decide (approx costs would also help)?

Thanks

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 01:40:58 AM »
I have a corbin on my 99 B12 and I really like.  I have yet to get ass fatigue on long trips.  The one thing I don't like about it is that it is scooped out a little to much.  That not a bad thing when you are going long and straight, but once you hit the twisties, it get a little annoying.  That is the only negative I have about the gunfighter.  And it certainly is rock hard... the seat I mean.

Jason

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 10:17:22 PM »
You reckon the bandit seat is bad try a zrx, 600 miles and I'm in tears.
In fact I carnt ride 600 miles on it in one day, but on the bandit I can ride all day and night with stops for fuel only. :roll: And as a ex courier the bandit was the most comfortable of all the bikes I've used. I did a fill in day couriering for a mate on the Rex a couple of months back, never ever again I couldn't stand or sit, even lying on the bed was painfull.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 04:36:02 AM »
I bought a corbin, sold it very shortly. I found that as someone else mentioned it was "scooped" out too much. Whenever i'd go to the mtns. to play i couldn't shift my weight properly/ hang off. I havent tried the gel seat yet though, as soon as I find one for sale that's next on my agenda.

Josh

Offline mccuts

• Board Regular!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 08:32:39 PM »
My stock seat needed about 4000 miles before I would even sink into it.
Now it seems just fine for full day rides.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 01:10:49 PM »
My stock seat with 20,000+ miles was hard as a rock.  But I'm 240.  Maybe I killed the padding.  :grin:

My Sargent seat with an extra inch of their atomic foam is comfortable for longer than the stock seat, but is taking a long time to get broke in.  I hear Corbins take awhile, too.

I like the gel seat alot, but it does sort of push your nads into the tank after awhile.

Offline Shastarider

• New user!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 06:59:39 AM »
Russell Day Long.  Cant say enough good things about it.  What they do is take your original seat/pan and custom it to thier design.  Some do not like the looks.  I could care less.  For me it is about how stuff works/performs.  I dont stop riding because my ass hurts.  The absolute best way to do it is you go there and get custom fitted.  When I brought my bike up, I learned they have literally turned just about any saddle into a Russell.  That included Corbin, etc.