Author Topic: Buckskin gloves  (Read 5267 times)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Buckskin gloves
« on: March 07, 2005, 06:32:58 AM »
I live in San Diego and found a great place to get nice buckskin. Thurlow leather, I have a pair of their gloves #512G. I've had them for 9 years and they still look and feel great, they are lined with the stuff that longjohns are made of. I ride every day and wear them most of the time. It doesn't get to cold here so I won't say they would be good for riding in any cold (below 40f) weather, I rode at 40f a few times here at 2am in jan. and my hands got a little cold but to bad. In summer its a bit warm for these gloves. I'd say they are the best glove I ever had for riding in temps from 40 to 75. Not a racing type glove and it fits nice over the sleeves of my big gortex jacket. I've been riding for around 30 years and have a lot of gloves, this buckshin is the softest and strongest stuff I've ever worn. Anyway I'm not tring to sell their stuff but I did want to tell you guys about these great glove I've been wearing. They make custom fit gloves if you have the need for that too. If someone steals my gloves I'd buy the same ones as soon as I could get there, I say the because I've had they for so long and I can't see them wearing out anytime soon.  Here's the link  http://www.thurlowleather.com/
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Buckskin gloves
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 08:27:58 AM »
Those are good looking gloves and they have quite a selection.  Thanks!

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Gloves
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 07:58:58 AM »
I went by Thurlow leather a couple of weeks ago to get some summer style gloves because my gel gloves that I've been wearing in the hotter weather got taken out of my helmet at work. :duh:  I was sad to see things not going so well for them. Production has moved to someones garage and the poor guy is sleeping and living in his car! I did still try to get some gloves. He got a box out of his trunk and we looked for some 511's that would fix, we found some but they had a pad sewn into the palm. I was going to get them because my other gloves are so nice and, I felt bad for the guy! On his web site it says they cost $63, well when he said "that will be $128" I said thats alot more then it says on your web site,...he got pissed and I left. Anyway I posted how much I liked their gloves back in May and I still have and like those 512G's very much. Just wanted to let everyone know Thurlow leather is close to out of it, and I wouldn't try to buy anything from them right now. :shock:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Buckskin gloves
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 10:27:49 AM »
Yeah, lined leather cycle gloves are great!  My late parents bought me a set in the mid-70's and I have worn them ever since.  In the 23 years that I had no bike I wore them just as really good winter gloves.  This winter I'll wear them biking! :grin:

Good leather will last you forever.  I've had mine for more than 30 years and I swear they look 6 months to a year old!  If I remember right, I might have polished them once in the '80's with a good black paste shoe polish.

I'd bet a synthetic you buy today won't still be in your service 30+ years from now! :roll:

Leather rocks! :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/billst/03gsf1200/
Buckskin gloves
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:24:44 PM »
Funny this thread pops up now.  I'm in my third week of breaking in my Lee Parks DeerTours black gloves.  Deerskin palms and elkskin backs/pads.  Once I manage to swear enough getting them on, they're fantastic.  A little pricey for light gloves but the 'feel' of the controls thru the deerskin is incredible.  Very well made.  Will probably go for the DeerSports (maybe the insulated to get me through the winter) since I prefer a gauntlet over the cuffs in the colder weather.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/default.asp

BTW:  My NRC covers came today  :banana:   :banana:   :banana:

Billster :motorsmile:
The older I get, the better I was.

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'78 XS650 (project underway)
'74 CL200