Author Topic: Dupont Spray Lube with Teflon  (Read 15085 times)

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Dupont Spray Lube with Teflon
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 03:13:45 AM »
Txbanditrydr, you are not the only only "oilaholic" using gear lube.

I have used gear lube on my chains for over 40 years now and, so far, I have not seen anything better yet.

It does not gum up and attract abrasive dirt like some chain lubes and it has some nice exterme pressure additives that must be good in a high-load application like a drive chain.

It does drip some after application so I just wipe off the excess.

Also, it seems to be kind to the o-rings (it doesn't harm transmission seals so it must be okay for o-rings).

The only drawback is that it stinks.  Some people might not like it but it reminds me of the smell of a Triumph shop where I worked in the early 70s so I kind of like it.

Try it, you might like it.

ps  Lest you think me a Luddite, I have recently made the switch from hypoy 90 to the new synthetic gear lube.

I HAVE BEEN USING THE DUPONT FOR JUST OVER A YEAR AND I GENERALLY LIKE IT.....

HOWEVER.....I SUSPECT THAT IT IS NOT PROTECTING MY CHAIN AS IT SHOULD.....

I REPLACED MY CHAIN ABOUT 8 MONTHS AGO AND I DON'T LIKE THE WAY THAT IT HAS BEEN OVER THE LAST 8 MONTHS.....

I TRULY HATE THE SMELL OF GEAR OIL.....BUT I WILL CLEAN MY CHAIN AND GIVE IT A TRY FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS AND SEE IF IT WORKS FOR ME.....

B-T-W.....DO YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE TO LUBE YOUR CHAIN MORE OFTEN WITH THE GEAR OIL?....

THANKS.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:44:01 AM »
I just lube my chain on Saturday mornings.  Mileage is variable and lube schedule is inexact.

I just use it in place of the recommended motor oil and it seems to work fine.

Because it does not build up like wax, there is no harm in doing it often - but, because it seems to leave a strong film, it lasts longer than oil.

Oh, and it smells like an old Triumph shop.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »
Why does a sealed O ring chain need this much attention! U guys are killin it with kindness!! Want to use all that stuff on one get it without the X or O rings and boil it away like the old days B 4 there was super lube trapped in the key lube points by a seal. What happens when you use the solvents to clean the grung your breakin down the lube in the chain. Use Brake Kleen like some swear by and you just cut your chain life in half! I just replaced the OEM on my bandit on steroids. Dyno'd at 157 HP to the rear wheel a week b4 A trip to the dragon! Up and back with rides 1700 miles! Total on EK stocker 24,000 miles!!!  Not binding, not kinked, not streached, still running smooth! But these things have a history of snapin em when you least expect it! Did need the primary though!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »
Why does a sealed O ring chain need this much attention! U guys are killin it with kindness!!

The sealed O-rings do a great job of minimizing wear between the rollers and the pins in the chain, but do nothing for the friction between the rollers and the sprockets.

True, you don't want to use harsh chemicals to clean it, because that'll break down the O-rings and let crud get inside, defeating the purpose of an O-ring chain, but it still should be cleaned and lubed.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)