Author Topic: First Gear Granite jacket  (Read 5189 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
First Gear Granite jacket
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:17:49 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 This is a closeout, at http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com
The price is $86!
They're running out of all sizes, you can check availability on the website.
The is a good, general, jacket for the $$
It has a removable liner, a 'gore-tex like' construction, adequate armor, and generally well put together.
I did wear it on a 45 mile ride in light to moderate rain, and I stayed dry...although, my arms felt 'damp'.
(When I took it off, I expected my shirt to be wet, but it wasn't.)
Nice construction, storm flaps on the pockets, and front zipper. There is one shoulder vent in the back of the jacket, but I wouldn't want to wear this on a scorching day.

The 'feel' of the jacket is less 'coarse' than a lot of ballistic jackets.

Price has been reduced since this review.   Check availabilty.  Great 3 season jacket!  A little warm for 'hot' summer riding.   Pretty waterproof.

10-9-2004

Quote from: "B6Matt"
I bought one for $78 at motorcyclecloseouts.com.  It's worth the $$ for sure.  The jacket is made by Intersports Fashions West. The jacket is well-constructed and warm:  48 degrees this morning and I was toasty inside my FG Granite.   I would wear a sweater or sweathirt underneath if it was below 40.  Storm flaps on main zipper and front pockets should keep out the rain.  Shoulder, elbow and back padding isn't too stiff, but you can buy the CE-approved armor for the elbows for another $10.00 if you want the added protection.  Safe-stitching should keep it from coming apart in the event of a get-off.

Should be good up into the 70s as well if the liner is taken out and the exhaust vents opened up in the back.  :msm:

**UPDATE**UPDATE**UPDATE**UPDATE**UPDATE**UPDATE**

I have ridden in 32 degrees and stayed warm, at least from the neck down.  The pockets are great for wallets, cell phones, digital cameras, and a lot of other stuff.  The storm flaps for the pockets and the main zipper will keep stuff dry.  Velcro closures around the wrist and neck seal out the wind, along with an elastic drawstring waist thingy.  Elbow, shoulder and back padding is substantial, but not stiff.  Heavy Cordura on shoulders and elbows.

The only complaint that I have is the zipper pull seems to push on my adam's apple when the zipper is all the way up and the neck velcro is used to seal the collar of the jacket.  BTW, it's a little too much jacket for anything over 75 degrees, even with the liner out and exhaust vents open.

I recommend it, especially for under $100.
If you're even thinking about getting one, I suggest that you go for it.

I'm 5'11," 160 lbs and a large fits me perfectly.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 08:03:22 PM »
motorcyclecloseouts.com has them now at $65!    Limited sizes and colors, but a good deal.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......