Author Topic: Heli Bars  (Read 5360 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
Heli Bars
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
Heli Bars on '99 B12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeteSC
(7/20/02 8:52 pm)
Re: Heli Bars on '99 B12

I've considered these for a while, and, after seeing them on Spencer's B12, figured I'd spring for them for a couple of reasons:
Comfort....and the ability to adjust the bars for different conditions.
Looks. They look pretty cool.
They come with a longer, braided brake line for the TOP line.....the one to the 'tee'. I wanted to switch to braided hoses.

Since somebody noticed the funky condition of my brake and clutch fluids.....I figured it was time to drain and refill the systems, and add the braided lines at the same time.

The HeliBars package arrived, and I played with them a bit, and thought I'd try to install them right away, before I had the 'Mityvac' brake bleeder I ordered from J.C. Whitney.
I figured, the stock line would be usable, up to the limit of the existing line.
It won't work! The helibars VERTICAL element will not allow the bike to turn Lock to Lock, without the bottom of the bars bumping the tank!
BAck to the drawing board, and ordering the bottom front brake hoses, so i don't have to drain/bleed the system twice!

I may try to bleed the front brake line with a more common, hose/container device while I wait for the 'Mityvac', but am not
counting on my success at doing this by myself.

I also had trouble getting the complete barends out of the stock bars. I ended up buying new L-P barends, which look nice, but I doubt will be heavy enough to dampen the vibration. Time will tell!

I'll keep adding to this message, as I progress with the installation of the Heli Bars.
(Fairing off for other work!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeteSC
(7/20/02 8:52 pm)
Re: Heli Bars on '99 B12/continued

I drained the brake fluid from the front brakes, and bolted on the new, braided, top brake line that comes with the HeliBars.
The new line is a little longer, allowing enough slack for adjustment.

To remove the stock brake line, you'll need a 12mm wrench.
The supplied chrome replacement bolts have a 14mm head.
It didn't look like the supplied bolt for the bottom of the new hose would work......so I re-used the older one, with new crush washers.

The bottom bolt, (on the TEE) is kind of tough to get to!
I didn't have a ratchet that would fit in the space, so it took a little time.
With the longer hose in place, I can now play with the adjustments to the bars. RIght now....they're contacting the windshield at full lock....(NAtional Cycle Cheetah) so a little tweaking is in order.
I'll take another stab at bleeding the brakes in the morning.....and hope to get a test ride in!
Better a crossthreader..
than a crossdresser!
PeteSC
(7/24/02 2:37 pm)
Re: Heli Bars on '99 B12/continued

Brakes bled, using a Mityvac.

A couple of quirks.
I had to adjust the bars back a bit to keep them from hitting the Cheetah windscreen.

HELI says low torque on the locking mechanism.....otherwise it is stressed, and may fail. I think they said 10-12 lbs, which doesn't seem like much.

Tighenting the bolts by hand, using the long end 0f a hex wrench to not torqu3e too much....the bars moved as I was rocking the bike off of the center stand.
I tightened them a bit more. I may have to get some sort of adapter for my torque qrench for the hex head.

I'll take the allen wrench with me, as I ride a bit this week.....and play with the adjustments!

Here's how they look......

(Big picture, click on URL)
http://www.banditalley.com/parts/pix/helibars2.jpg

Red01SuziB12S
(7/24/02 6:00 pm)

Looks like a Sasquatch was trying to sneak up on you as you took the pics, Pete.
(you can see him in the left mirror)  

Now we see how they look, how do you like them in use?

Paul W
PeteSC
(7/24/02 6:08 pm)

Going to run to the carwash in a few.....waiting for dark...to evaluate the new tag lights...

The bars are a lot higher.....
Will take some playing around to get them right......
Going to truck the bike up to Mid-ohio......would ride, but figured the 600 mile trip would take forever, with me stopping every 30 minutes to try a different setting on the bars!

Since when does Sasquatch wear glasses?
No wonder the nieghbors were staring.....looks like my hair was styled by 'House of Bigfoot'.
Red01SuziB12S
(7/24/02 6:20 pm)
Bigfoot the Sasquatch & glasses

Whenever they have vision problems???    
(Seems several of them run "Bigfoot" taverns around here.)

Paul W
WA, USA
crash bandit
(7/27/02 2:23 am)
Re: Bigfoot the Sasquatch & glasses

From the first pics I though you might have pulled the fairing off Pete, going naked? Just kidding, maybe I will run into you on Sunday at Mid-Ohio

Mike
PeteSC
(7/30/02 10:57 am)
Helibars after 1800 miles

Just finished 1800 miles on the new Helibars, including a 650 mile day, and around a 550 mile stint.
They are an improvement.
After a couple of hours, the only adjustment I made was to 'even' up the bars......they were a little lopsided!

As set, I have them an inch higher than stock, and maybe an inch less pull. I haven't played with the settings much.

I was worried with vibration being increased by switchcing to lighter barends......but it didn't seem worse.
salemons
(7/30/02 7:40 pm)
heli bars

Hi,
I recently bought a 01 1200 (RED). I also have a 92 Gold Wing. My problem is I have tennis elbow in both elbows. The Wing isn't a problem but I think the Bandit is giving my elbows a hard time. I love the bike and don't have any intentions of riding any less, but it hurts some. I have thought about Gen Mar or Holeshot risers and like the lower price but I wonder if I should go for the HeliBars. Any thoughts?
PeteSC
(7/30/02 8:37 pm)
Re: heli bars

The advantage with the HeliBars is you have a heck of a lot of adjustments to play with. The disadvantage is.......$300 to get them.

If you knew exactly what bar configuration would work for you, you could probably do it with stock bars for as little as $50.

Actually, the only thing NOT sore are my elbows!

I hate to claim they are a 'cure-all'.
If you're lucky, you may be able to see a set on a bandit, before you decide to purchase.
Spencer L
(8/7/02 9:13 pm)
Heli-Bars

Hey Pete,

Your set up (heli-bars, cheetah windscreen) looks familiar! I just adjusted my bars for about the 4th time, I think I got 'em in the sweet spot now. Feels great, looking forward to our get together next month!

http://www.banditalley.com/parts/pix/helibars2.jpg