Author Topic: HJC AC-11 Creature Helmet  (Read 9657 times)

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
HJC AC-11 Creature Helmet
« on: March 08, 2005, 10:34:06 PM »
I purchased an HJC AC-11 about a year ago, and wanted to tell you about how well it worked in a 40 mph "head to asphalt first" crash.

The fact that I'm writing says everything is OK here.  The helmet took a horrible beating.  face shield cant even be seen through.  Most of the paint a is shredded.

But I am happy to report, not even a crack in the shell.  I will purchase this helmet again, after I rebuild the bike this spring.  

Just thought I would give my praise.  I should mention that I also own 2 Shoei's, which are great, just never been down with either of them.

Hope this helps anyone
2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 12:55:33 AM »
Just bought a new AC-11 Maximus MC-5 love it!!!! I had a Shoei RF900 Picotte previously, like the HJC better. Glad to hear that it saved your melon!!! :mrgreen:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 12:15:06 PM »
I had the RF900 as my other helmet as well.  I liked the fit, and removable pads on the HJC though.  So, I guess I'm with you on the this one.  Great prices on the HJC's also.
2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://genome.uiowa.edu/~jwalters
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 08:57:46 PM »
Hope none of us ever have to test it again, but thanks for the info.  I have an AC-11 too, and I love it.
jesse
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1972 Honda CB 750 K2 Cafe Racer
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline Runerx

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 03:58:37 PM »
Another  vote for the AC-11. I just bought an AC-11 yikes from E-bay. Had it a few days and I LOVE IT!!! Its so much quieter than my Fulmer was and I really like the way it wraps around my head. It fits so well that I actually forgot to strap it the second time I wore it... (couldnt figure out what the tapping noise was.. then realized it was the strap oops). The slightly larger lower chin bar also makes the helmet more stable at speed... don't have to hold my head still from the buffeting like I did before. This will make riding just that much more enjoyable.

Dj :taz:
DJ - Skin donations to the dirt/pavement gods suck!

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 05:56:47 PM »
I wear the HJC AC10 King Mingus. Love it(especially the eyes and eyebrows on the back.) Also have a Shoei RF 700. The shoei is quieter to me but it always seemed to lift or ride up on my head. A freind of mine who is a go-cart racer said that to combat this problem, he and his go-cart freinds would tape a piece of a plastic straw to the upper forehead part of the helmet. He suggested finding a helmet with something sticking out in that area. Thats what got me to the HJC and have had no problems with the helmet riding up. :beers:

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 09:50:07 PM »
I got my AC-11 and have been wearing it for two days now. Another fan! The eyeport seems large and well placed, the helmet feel light and fits well, also seems reasonably quiet. The finish is also very nice, and the faceshield seals in great.

$139 from Newenough. Thanks guys, for the info in this thread. I would not have even been looking at them otherwise.

Steve

(of course just after I get the hat I read the helmet test in Motorcyclist and they don't approve  :monkeymoon: ) forgot to mention - mine is a blue "Zeek". That is why is is sooo inexpensive, it is considered a closeout because it is last years color. Sorta like matresses I guess. :lol:
Primer Grey b12S

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 01:05:00 AM »
Motorcyclist is ultra critical of every thing which is good. If they rate it even mediocre it must be decent! :beers:

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 11:19:54 AM »
I have an AC-11 Zeek and like it a lot. It has great peripheral vision.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/ac11_zeek.htm#
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 07:55:22 PM »
I have the Yikes and have been happy with it.  It's not as quiet as my old LT-12 but vents better. the breath guard works too.

Must tell you all, co-worker Harley rider lost on an on-ramp last Sat nite- of course no helmet.  it's terrible.  as close as you can get without dying by the looks of it.  Didnt recognize him the hospital (neither did 2 other co-workers on 2 sepeate occassions).  The man's head is the sise of basket ball, crushed chin, eye socket, drilled skull for blood clot, lots of road rash & 6 busted ribs.......MAN

I wear helmet, jacket, gloves & boots....If they had short & fat pants I get those too

WOW
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Rats!!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 06:02:33 AM »
My AC-11 survived over 2k miles of use. It does not vent as well as I hoped but I still like it fine. The face shield seems really resistant to scratching. The rest of the helmet does not have any cosmetic flaws after being flown 2000 miles out and ridden back.

The attaching mechanism for the shield on one side seems to have broken though. If I open the shield all the way it releases on one side. None of my Shoei helmets have ever done this.

I'll get with NewEnough next week and see what they do for me. In the meanwhile I am not totally happy.

Right now I have more faith in NewEnough's customer service than I do in HJC's hardware.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Rats!!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 01:02:18 AM »
Quote from: "Steve"
flown 2000 miles out and ridden back.

Please explain this statement... did you fly 2000 miles to pick up another bike?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
five bucks...
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 05:27:14 AM »
at the local dealer (Everett Powersports) got me a new base plate for the left side which fixed my problem. They had a set of both sides for $10.00 and without asking the parts guy pulled out the side that I needed and charged me 1/2.

This is actually fair because I was a bit ham fisted when trying to remount my face shield and was at least partially responsible for the malfunction. I still have never had a problem like this with a Shoei, but this shield took a hell of a beating without scratching and the hat is pretty good overall.

I still have to give the AC-11 high marks, expecially for the $140 that I paid for it.

I'm trying to get my photo posting going so I can respond to Paul's inquiry.
 :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Steve
Primer Grey b12S