Author Topic: Icon Urban tank bag  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
Icon Urban tank bag
« on: June 04, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »
I got one of these the other day, but it doesn't have a rain cover, and there is not one available. The description at newenough says that it is "water resistant". If it's going to leak, I will return it and get one that has a rain cover. Does anyone here have one of these? I really like it because it converts to a backpack, and can carry a helmet strapped on the bottom too. It fits my B12 very well.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Icon Urban tank bag
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:07:27 PM »
I don't have an Icon brand, and you may already know the following, but:

I don't think you'll find a tank bag that is truly waterproof rather than water resistant.  Evan a rain cover is just a stop-gap to help keep the contents of the bag dry.

The denernier of the weave and a water resistant coating can help, but the tank bag has zippers, and even if they are covered with a flap, they will will still leak when the rain is hard and you are going fast enough to drive the water in.

So I think you will want a rain cover.  I have the RoadGear products, which have rain covers (that you buy separately).  Their stuff is expensive, so you might want to either return your Icon and get one that comes with a rain cover, or order a rain cover for your Icon from RoadGear.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
Icon Urban tank bag
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »
I sent the Icon Urban tank back back, and got a Nelson Rigg CL-350. I liked the Urban better, but the Nelson Rigg fits well, and does have a rain cover. It expands about 1 or 1 1/2 inches, and the cover also has an expansion section to match. It uses heavier materials and looks to be well made. The Icon has softer material on the tank side though. Both of these bags have backpack straps. The Icon has them permanently attached on one end. The NR they are just loose, so you have to carry them in the bag. The Icon will carry a helmet strapped underneath, using a flap that is on the tank side, so it is more useful than the NR bag. The NR does have a lifetime guarantee though. I'll post a pic of it mounted in a couple of days.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
Icon Urban tank bag
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »
I picked up a loaf of bread yesterday on the way home, and it fit in the NR tank bag with room to spare. No crushing at all. With it on the bike closed, it doesn't really look big enough for that.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Icon Urban tank bag
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:17:05 AM »
I was just getting interested in the Icon bad, any pics of the Nelson Rigg? I like the idea of a tank bag with straps, and kind of liked the concept of it being able to hold the helmet too. It seems that in the summer often I find myself somewhere...holding a helmet wishing I weren't
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
Icon Urban tank bag
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
My camera is on vacation in Florida at the moment. I can put a pic up about the second week in July. There are some good pictures at newenough.com
97 Bandit 1200S